Vintage pioneer seperates

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
Hi guys,I've recently bought (waiting on delivery) some vintage pioneer blueline seperates.an amp,tuner,tapedeck and record deck.i currently am running a rotel pre/power setup and am wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on my new (old) kit? I've done as much research as possible and it's got glowing reviews especially via the phono stage. I have a rega planer 3 deck which is lovely via the current system (I have b&w speakers) but just wondering if I fall in love with the new kit do you think selling the rotel parts to fun a streamer and dac (thinking wiim,pro-ject)? I could also run a CD transporter via the wiim so I'd have vinyl,tape,radio,streaming and cd,just wondering if anyone has any feedback for me. Thanks so much and cheers.
Ian

Hi guys,I've recently bought (waiting on delivery) some vintage pioneer blueline seperates.an amp,tuner,tapedeck and record deck.i currently am running a rotel pre/power setup and am wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on my new (old) kit? I've done as much research as possible and it's got glowing reviews especially via the phono stage. I have a rega planer 3 deck which is lovely via the current system (I have b&w speakers) but just wondering if I fall in love with the new kit do you think selling the rotel parts to fun a streamer and dac (thinking wiim,pro-ject)? I could also run a CD transporter via the wiim so I'd have vinyl,tape,radio,streaming and cd,just wondering if anyone has any feedback for me. Thanks so much and cheers.
Ian
I owned the earlier SA706 amp with the dancing VU meters. I kept that for 17 years. Loved it. Which SA models have you purchased?

The only downside is reliability of stuff that age.

ianb

Nov 20, 2022
Visit site
I owned the earlier SA706 amp with the dancing VU meters. I kept that for 17 years. Loved it. Which SA models have you purchased?

The only downside is reliability of stuff that age.
Hi there,
The amp is the pioneer sa608 very sexy! Love the aluminium brushed front and general layout. Not too sure on the models of the other components,the guy I bought the amp from (immaculate condition) said I have the tape,tuner and record deck in the same blueline set for sale too and wanted to keep it all together as a set so I got a bargain. Its all in silver with the blueline design and meters,I'm very excited to get it setup at the weekend and so looking forward to playing my first record (think it's gonna be springsteen,born in the USA) I'll report back with a review so anyone else looking or thinking about getting into vintage gear (especially pioneer) have another review. Thanks for taking time to reply.
Ian

jjbomber

Hi there,
The amp is the pioneer sa608 very sexy! Love the aluminium brushed front and general layout. Not too sure on the models of the other components,the guy I bought the amp from (immaculate condition) said I have the tape,tuner and record deck in the same blueline set for sale too and wanted to keep it all together as a set so I got a bargain. Its all in silver with the blueline design and meters,
Ian
I had the SA708 in brushed aluminium. It was my very first hi-fi. Loved it. The meters were great, though I seldom got past 0.3watts. I think it was a 70 watts per channel amp.

matthewpianist

I had a SA-508 for a while and always regretted parting with it. It was a good example and sounded superb with a wide variety of speakers.

Pioneer kit was extremely good in those days and if I eventually decide to stick with a vintage system I would have one of those amps again in a heartbeat if I could find an affordable example in serviced condition. It would certainly make a nice match with my PL12D turntable from the same period.

Hi there,
The amp is the pioneer sa608 very sexy! Love the aluminium brushed front and general layout. Not too sure on the models of the other components,the guy I bought the amp from (immaculate condition) said I have the tape,tuner and record deck in the same blueline set for sale too and wanted to keep it all together as a set so I got a bargain. Its all in silver with the blueline design and meters,I'm very excited to get it setup at the weekend and so looking forward to playing my first record (think it's gonna be springsteen,born in the USA) I'll report back with a review so anyone else looking or thinking about getting into vintage gear (especially pioneer) have another review. Thanks for taking time to reply.
Ian
Great stuff. In the 70s and early 80s Pioneer were the kings of budget/midrange amplification. Shame most got overlooked by the likes of NAD.

Had my Pioneer in a bedroom set-up before moving it downstairs. It compared well with the modern equivalent to Arcam Alpha 7.

Hi there,
Ian
When amps looked proper. My one retailed at around £170 back in the late 70s, I purchased mine with a Marantz 2060ML tuner as both were "shop soiled" as a package for £100.

Attachments

• 20230725_122147.jpg
    20230725_122147.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: ianb
Never had a Pioneer amplifier of this model but certainly had their cassette decks etc. and their A300R and A400 amps.
As with anything of this age the looks are irrelevant as they will all have bits that deteriorate so full services will be essential otherwise it's just money down the drain.
Sorry if this is obvious.

Reactions: ianb
Never had a Pioneer amplifier of this model but certainly had their cassette decks etc. and their A300R and A400 amps.
As with anything of this age the looks are irrelevant as they will all have bits that deteriorate so full services will be essential otherwise it's just money down the drain.
Sorry if this is obvious.
This is always going to be a issue with any vintage stuff. The ones that have been looked after tend to sell for silly money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts