Upgrade to MC cartridge questionm

Brian G

Jul 22, 2021
Visit site
Good Day to you all!

TL:DR - is an MC cartridge upgrade worth it on a relatively modest system?

Long version - I was hoping to get some thoughts on the relative merits of upgrading to an MC cartridge from my Goldring E3 that I'm currently running. (I wasn't at all dissatisfied with the E3, however I might donate it to a cash-strapped friend who is just getting back in to vinyl and hi-fi).

On this particular living room setup, I'm running a slightly upgraded RP2 (P3 platter, better belts, cork matt, new feet). The deck goes through a dynavector P75 mk 4 phono stage to a Cambridge AXA 35 and out to some Dali O1s (or Grado Hemp Cans)

While I'm reasonably certain that the Phono Stage will easily allow for even relatively higher end carts than the ones that I am looking at, I'm concerned that some of the other equipment will become a limiting factor.

Cartridges under consideration are Hana SL/SH, Ortofon Quintet Blue, maybe a Sumiko.

So finally the question: Worth the switch, or would I be better off putting that money into upgrading something else?

I guess it will pretty much depend on your budget but with your system I could say spend money elsewhere.
Good MCs are not cheap and low output versions are better, in my opinion,this means you will need to spend out on a new phono preamp or some sort of step-up transformer as well hence the budget goes up.
The issue with MCs is if you damage the stylus you basically throw the whole cartridge away, if it's a relatively cheap one,unlike MM you cannot simply buy a new stylus.
I would say if you intend spending less than £500 on a MC then stick with MM.

Good Day to you all!

TL:DR - is an MC cartridge upgrade worth it on a relatively modest system?

Long version - I was hoping to get some thoughts on the relative merits of upgrading to an MC cartridge from my Goldring E3 that I'm currently running. (I wasn't at all dissatisfied with the E3, however I might donate it to a cash-strapped friend who is just getting back in to vinyl and hi-fi).

On this particular living room setup, I'm running a slightly upgraded RP2 (P3 platter, better belts, cork matt, new feet). The deck goes through a dynavector P75 mk 4 phono stage to a Cambridge AXA 35 and out to some Dali O1s (or Grado Hemp Cans)

While I'm reasonably certain that the Phono Stage will easily allow for even relatively higher end carts than the ones that I am looking at, I'm concerned that some of the other equipment will become a limiting factor.

Cartridges under consideration are Hana SL/SH, Ortofon Quintet Blue, maybe a Sumiko.

So finally the question: Worth the switch, or would I be better off putting that money into upgrading something else?
Given your system I would stick with a better MM cartridge. Perhaps something like a Goldring 1042.

You need to spend fortunes to justify the upgrade to a MC.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts