wiring one speaker out of phase

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Still wired up out of phase. To my right side speaker. Since doing this the bass has been transformed. That’s using three different amps in the space of a week.
Then it must be one speaker driver was wired up wrongly, or maybe the terminals themselves. Out of phase mid and top just sounds ‘woozy’ and vague, but out of phase bass simply cancels and fades away.

As you report firmer bass, then at least the bass drivers are together. Do you have a test record, CD or similar to try?

Then it must be one speaker driver was wired up wrongly, or maybe the terminals themselves. Out of phase mid and top just sounds ‘woozy’ and vague, but out of phase bass simply cancels and fades away.

As you report firmer bass, then at least the bass drivers are together. Do you have a test record, CD or similar to try?

my thoughts are that the internal wiring of one speaker has been done wrong. When I’ve looked inside the internal wiring is blue with no markers On for positive or negative. So it could have been a simple mistake. Whatever has happened, my speakers now sound great with the wiring as it is.

WayneKerr

Just performed an experiment with my speakers and wired them out of phase... good god, awful is the only word for it, no central image and very very strange bass. If I had taken delivery of them in this condition they would have been returned pronto... possibly my amp too.

Reactions: Gray and Al ears
I’ve done a bit of research on this, so was curious to find if my speakers were wired correctly, so I went and bought a 9v battery to check. I took the cables from the amp on both speakers and tapped them on the battery. The speakers both moved forward when I did this, so they are both in phase, I’ve connected them back to the amp and now they sound fine the right way round. Got me wondering if I’d connected them wrong on the amp? But if I had, I did it on all three amps that I used 🤷‍♂️ who knows. I’ll just keep checking so I’m 100% sure everything is set up right.

Reactions: nopiano and Gray
This has been a very interesting thread. Had me scratching my head, and I still am :) Problems like this is what this forum is for (y)

You are not the only one scratching his head. When I wired one speaker out of phase I was expecting a drop in bass but got the opposite.
I’m working away for a few days now, but I’ll continue experimenting when I get back.

Reactions: Al ears
When I got home, I did the out of phase test again, and to my surprise I got the opposite effect as last time, so theoretically I have the system setup correctly now. I may have accidentally wired the speakers out of phase last time, but I’m now convinced I’ve got it right this time.
Now playing around with speaker positioning as the Musical Fidelity amp is a completely different beast to the marantz so I’m trying to find the sweet spot for this combo whilst testing a new XLR cable too.
Loving it.

Reactions: AJM1981

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts