Wiring, Nordost or Audioquest way?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
Sorry, I thought for a moment you were being serious.

A sentiment I had decades ago, the first time I ever watched a wine snob (sorry, oenophile) rhapsodising on the telly. (Probably Jilly Goolden.)

I soon realised it was all horse#### (in fact she might have listed that as one of the aromas).

chebby said:
Virtually all of the wine consumed nowadays gets transported around the world in 24,000 litre plastic bags (or 'bladders') that are also used for water, herbicides and paint.

It gets bottled at plants in the destination countries (a vast factory in Avonmouth in our case) where they put on all the various labels evoking pretty, rustic vineyards or majestic chateaux to fool the punter into thinking their wine has some history or 'terroir' that they can bang on about. (Wrong, it came from an automated, computerised industrial complex resembling a chemical plant.)

Wow, that's sobering, chebby. I used to drive past Avonmouth most days, but mostly noticed all the cars! I also remember the 'mega-keggery' in Reading, detectable by the hops/beer/malt smell from the M4. I think it was Courage. Not sure if it is still there or was replaced by Green Park where Microsoft and others reside.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
matt49 said:
Sorry, I thought for a moment you were being serious.

A sentiment I had decades ago, the first time I ever watched a wine snob (sorry, oenophile) rhapsodising on the telly. (Probably Jilly Goolden.)

I soon realised it was all horse#### (in fact she might have listed that as one of the aromas).

If you're basing your views on wine on Jilly Goolden, then yes, I can see where you're coming from. She was useless. A vapid talking head.

If you're actually open-minded about the subject, you should check out Jancis Robinson's website. The work she's done, e.g. her recent book on wine varieties, is of the very highest scientific standards: cutting-edge genetic analysis of vines etc etc.

But I suspect this is not something you're actually interested in, and that you're just sounding off.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
matt49 said:
... you should check out Jancis Robinson's website.

I did ...

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/how-wine-travels-nowadays-in-bulk

... where did you think I got it from?

Ok there was also Bloomberg, Business Week and the FT (and a few others like 'trade' sites) but I don't make this stuff up just to needle you and I don't like being called a liar.

Right.

You used the words "virtually all", which aren't justified by Jancis's article. That's why I asked you for a number.

Please tell me where I called you a liar.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
You need a good wine merchant. I'm lucky to live within 200 yards of Connolly's, the best in Birmingham and I buy my wine from them. The proprietor, Chris, goes and tastes and buys on that basis. They have some of the finest Burgundy around.

However you can get good wine from even the least obvious of sources. For example Tesco online have a really good selection of 2009 Bordeaux (a great year) and you can get really good wine from them.

Chris

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
damn all this wine talk is making me want a drink :)

Personally I prefer the little local wine merchants in italy and france where they divvy it up from big vats and you have to take your own container :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts