Windows 8 - Early reviews look promising

I've not decided yet if I want to upgrade my Windows 7 laptop to Windows 8.

Early reviews look promising:

http://www.neowin.net/news/review-windows-8-the-hybrid-os-has-arrived

Quite a bold statement they've made:

"It's clear that Microsoft wanted to attack the tablet market with a full-bodied OS with Windows 8 and they hit the nail on the head. Using a full-featured tablet with Windows 8 is the best experience on the market, hands down."

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, agreed the August one being older isn't so relevant but you never know maybe Windows 8 will be good ?

Thing is Microsoft never seem to be able to roll-out a 'finished' system without it always needing service packs to fix what should have been good to go in the first place .... given the costs of them I mean. You start to wonder as to how many service packs it will take this time around ? Widows XP was grat after three... it hadn't long got around to being so great ... then the New bigger shinier Windows Vista showed its ugly head.

Windows 7 seems great to me at present so I guess time will tell about Windows 8 and I'll 'maybe' part with some more monies for Bill.... maybe ? :?

If you Do get it bb you could let me know about its high's and low's maybe ?

Papalazarou75

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying the preview for quite a while right now (simply out of curiosity),It will be fine for a tablet but imo not as good as win 7 for a pc/laptop, but hey.

I was pleased to buy win 7 for £45 as a pre order (to get away from vista), but have no interest in buying win 8 as it offers nothing new for me over win 7 .

with the exception of gaming I think Ubuntu is so much better as an OS :) far more logical & no Windows tax to pay !

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Their pricing IS good bb.

Having Windows 7 Pro I'd have to go for the full one priced around £50.00.... the prices are real good.

simonlewis .... ''Microsoft UK announced that Windows 8 would go on sale at midnight''

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Stupid question... is it meant for PCs/laptops or is it just for tablets?

I saw it on a news item this morning but had the volume turned down because I was listening to something else. All I could see was someone demonstrating it on a tablet.

(Maybe the news item was about the tablet. I don't remember what it was. They all look much the same.)

Sorry but I tend not to keep up-to-date with Microsoft stuff. I only started using Win 7 Pro in February (after many years of XP Pro).

Windows 8 RT - Tablets only

Windows 8 / Windows 8 Pro - Desktops / laptops / tablets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions

Windows 8 desktops / laptops / tablets / phones (& anything in between) will all look the same....that's what Microsoft intends. :)

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I know it's designed more for tablet/mobile touchscreen use but from what i've seen so far, it's not going to be very good for desktops & laptops, only time will tell lets hope that they haven't shot themselves in the foot.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
AnotherJoe said:
It should be called Window 8 not Windows 8.

Why? :?

All the native apps run in full-screen by default and you have to drag them to the sidebar to have multiple windows. Its counter-intuitive to how windowing systems have worked for the last 40 years of so.

Seems to have been too big a focus on touch driven UI. The removal of universal search is also disappointing.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Wow !, I never knew about the Lumia 920 until I read this post bb.... I am well interested.... this looks and sounds swell.

:bounce: I'm gonna find out even more about this.....'yeeha' as they say. :)

Alantiggger said:
Wow !, I never knew about the Lumia 920 until I read this post bb.... I am well interested.... this looks and sounds swell.

:bounce: I'm gonna find out even more about this.....'yeeha' as they say. :)

:)

I know many are slating Microsoft, sometimes quite unfairly so. Yes, Microsoft has dished out a few disappointments in the past. But I think this time we have something really special here. Never before (since Windows 95) has Microsoft shown such a bold innovation. I can't think of any other way Microsoft could have crashed into the party successfully currently enjoyed by iOS & Android.

The very fact that Apple held an event just before Microsoft's & Google's with a new tablet within 6 months of the previous one indicates that it feels threatened by competition.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
BigBoss i haven't yet read anything to do with Windows 8 but the new Microsoft Surface Tablet seems to be getting a few good reviews, it looks like Microsoft are finding there way.

Here's what Tim Cook says about Windows Surface:

“What we’re reading about is a fairly compromised product. I suppose you could design a car that flies and floats, but I don’t think it would do all of those things very well."

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-ipad-vs-microsoft-surface-tim-cook-slams-windows-8-tablet-what-really-makes-device-worthwhile

Steve Ballmer had to eat his words when the iPhone was launched. Famous last words Cook? :?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Installed Windows 8 Enterprise on my main system yesterday. Installation was (almost)painless although the move to Enterprise meant a clean install (not an issue for me).

I use a 24" HP monitor and I have zero issues with the not-Metro screen. I treat it as a launcher for certain apps and a start menu for the desktop mode. The lack of a "start button" isn't an issue. It's still there,just invisible (but then there's a fairly visible tactile one sitting on the keyboard too)

Some KB shortcuts here...

http://www.wittenburg.co.uk/Blog.aspx?id=fb1c365c-dbd7-45ef-be95-03b294fe4697

The OS feels faster, boots faster and under the hood is much more streamlined. Is it worth an upgrade for the average Windows 7 user...nope, probably not, but it is certainly a step forward and IMO will enable MS to make a very large dent into the mobile market...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts