Will you be ditching your CD player in 2014?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Toolpusher

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Starting once again from scratch, in terms of any sort of serious system, I'll be getting an Oppo 105, which, as most of you know, will play the lot, from CDs to the new-fangled high-res audio-only BDs, plus handling all manner of downloaded music. How much physical media I'll have as time progresses and I rebuild my collection to something like the size and variety of my-sadly-sold off vinyl collection, I don't know.

I suspect the truth-or otherwise-of those rumours about HDTracks opening a UK online store, might have a big impact there..... :?

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Hi Johnno2

Its really straight forward, you'll be pleased to hear. Spotify is integrated into the system so you basically just connect the MCR510 or 610 to your router either wirelessly or using ethernet, select 'Spotify' on the Marantz (by pressing the 'Online Music' button twice on the remote), enter your Spotify Premium account details and away you go. If you connect your phone to your wireless network as well you can download the Marantz control app and it is a really nice, intuitive way of using Spotify complete with artwork. Sounds really good.

Your Wharfedales will be fine. They are still good speakers and should pair well with the Marantz. At current sale prices of around £250 I think the '510 is a real bargain, but I also wanted CD, DAB and FM. If you don't want these features the '510 is a bit of a no-brainer IMO.

Important points:

You don't need to involve your PC at all.

It won't work with a free Spotify account (same as with any such device)

You mention connecting to your DSL filter. This won't work. You need to connect to your internet router either wirelessly or via ethernet. The wireless connection is working really well for me (I have a BT Homehub 4 on Infinity).

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks
smiley-smile.gif
I have BT , but still only on 6Mps copper connection using an old voyager 220v router, there is an ethernet port on the back, will this be fine

spotify premium works fine on the pc but I have issues with the USB to DAC, so listening to spotify via the PC speakers ATM (rubbish)

I do not listen to radio much, rather choose my own music !

I can't see me ditching the cd player, to be honest, i've only just bought the one i have now and it sounds fantastic.

if anything, i'll be buying another cd player. (upgrade) rega saturn or saturn-r

the 500+ or so cd's i've got are still getting used every day. moreso since buying the apollo.

*i still like to buy something physical for my money too*

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll keep spinning CDs in 2014 (and after that too). Will probably one day replace the CDP by a universal disk spinner, like the often mentioned Oppo 105.

T

the record spot

tino said:
Will you be selling your CD player in 2014? And what's the market like for CD players these days ... has it tubed / non-existent?

i) No and ii) Pretty decent from what I can see. Definitely not non-existant.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Its only early days, but I've got to say the Marantz is very impressive indeed. I've tried CD, DAB radio and Spotify Premium so far and all sound really enjoyable. The Marantz app works really well on my HTC phone as well. Already I'm focusing on the music more and I can understand why Chebby has enjoyed his M-CR603 so much.

When did that happen? I take a quick nap and wake up finding another forum regular has bought one of the infectious little b###ers!

(Marantz owe me.)

tino said:
plastic penguin said:
Nope. It'll take too long to transfer the cds onto a streaming device.

Assuming you owned and kept the original CD, I'm assuming it would still be legal to obtain a copy of the same CD that someone else has already ripped? Saves you the hassle.

Yep, the original CD. It's only illegal AFAIK if you record or rip and play in public.

matthewpiano

chebby said:
matthewpiano said:
Its only early days, but I've got to say the Marantz is very impressive indeed. I've tried CD, DAB radio and Spotify Premium so far and all sound really enjoyable. The Marantz app works really well on my HTC phone as well. Already I'm focusing on the music more and I can understand why Chebby has enjoyed his M-CR603 so much.

When did that happen? I take a quick nap and wake up finding another forum regular has bought one of the infectious little b###ers!

(Marantz owe me.)

Today!

I've grown tired of having big black boxes that don't do much and I've been considering this on and off for a very long time. The only thing that put me off the 603 when you first got yours was the lack of gapless support and Spotify, and now that the 610 has rectified these things it ticks all my boxes. My last concern was the plastic finish. It doesn't look that great in the all-black finish, but somehow the white centre panel really lifts it and it is still nicely made overall.

As you know I was interested in the Quad 9AS, but I love the Zensor 3s and don't want to part with them. Overall, I think the Marantz route suits me better.

Your high praise for the 603 has played a significant part in my regular interest in the product (because I see you as a man of reason and high standards) and, along with my previous experience of a Marantz/Dali pairing, sealed the deal. In truth I should have taken the plunge a long time ago.

Magic 99

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Been trying to get rid of it for years and have now managed it completely. DBPoweramp was the catalyst that made it possible, but now, no cupholder! Currently using the Marantz M CR510 and Zensor 3 and can totally agree with others that this is a good little combo. I was looking at the Yamaha R N500 "network" amp but no gapless playback there. Marantz 1 Yamaha 0.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Nope. It'll take too long to transfer the cds onto a streaming device.

PP, you don't streaming?

I want almost 2 years buy a streamer, but still play cd's. I must ripping all my cd's (more than 500) to Flac. :cry: And cd is very simple; put a cd in the player and listen.....

T

the record spot

chebby said:

(Marantz owe me.)

Don't worry, he's getting a Stream Magic next weekend.

(Sorry MP, couldn't resist it! Glad your enjoying the new purchase - Marantz make some very nice gear).

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
No. Ive purchased more CDs this year than ever before. Whilst I like the convenience of having thousands of tracks at my fingertips, nothing beats the physical disc and artwork/booklet.

Out of interest MP, how does the Marantz stack up sound wise to the Denon CDP and Pioneer combo?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Very, very unlikely that I'll get without my CD63KI. Took me years to be able to afford one lol. Still, I keep looking at my Dad's Marantz MC-R610 and thinking "Hmmm...." Yet, I don't think I will. No direct computer-input is a deal-breaker for me. Unbelievable that it doesn't have one, especially as it has a 192kHz hi-res DAC!

matthewpiano

CarlDW said:
No. Ive purchased more CDs this year than ever before. Whilst I like the convenience of having thousands of tracks at my fingertips, nothing beats the physical disc and artwork/booklet.

Out of interest MP, how does the Marantz stack up sound wise to the Denon CDP and Pioneer combo?

It makes me wonder how much of a future the budget seperates market actually has when a system like the Marantz performs so well and offers so much flexibility at the same time. It sounds great and drives the Zensor 3s with ease, the punchy quality of the speakers combining very nicely with the smoothness of the Marantz. As a CD playing system it compares with any of the affordable seperates combinations I've had, but then it also offers so many additional ways in which to access and explore music.

manicm

audioaffair said:
Hmmm this is a controvesial one isn't it?

Mine's gone, in favour of streaming and saving space - would I buy another CD Player? Yes possibly as I do miss the whole process of CD listening, streaming is great, but not the same as handling a disc! :)

I miss handling and admiring LP covers - that's what I really miss about vinyl. Aesthetically, CDs can go to hell. Take the Pink Floyd remasters for example - the packaging's disgusting and so is the reworked artwork. I know he's dead but why couldn't the idiot Storm Thorgeson leave well enough alone?

manicm

busb said:
Nope. I did sort of this year. I say sort of because my newish BDP does CD very well so one less box. I actually played a CD the other day - I use iTunes on a Mac Mini for most of my music listening. My ATV2 is largely redundant now I no longer subscribe to iTunes Match. My Vodafone plan includes Spotify Premium for when I want to explore.

Funny, after a year I've managed to get a 500GB USB HDD to work with my 751BD - at the rear port. I'm busy archiving all my CDs in WAV with album art. So I'm in the process of ditching CD playback.

The reason I'm including album art is that although WAVs can't be tagged, when I eventually go the NAS streaming route I'll be sorted - good media servers like MinimServer will serve up album covers with WAV.

EDIT: The 715BD doesn't *&^%$# do gapless playback. To hell with it, for the time being it beats changing CDs.

manicm

matthewpiano said:
Well I have just ditched my seperate CD player, if that counts.

I think 2014 will be the year that I finish ripping a lot of my CDs and they will then go into storage in favour of streaming and vinyl. I also plan to listen to more radio - FM, DAB and internet. I've already decided that, for me, 2014 is the year that I really take a breather from the whole process of worrying about and fiddling with the hi-fi. With that in mind the seperate amp, CD player and SBT are on their way out, replaced by the Marantz system which drives the Zensor 3s very capably and (in the white and black version I've gone for) looks really nice.

You fox! So doesn't the 610/Zensor 3 combo sound overly smooth as WHF seem to say?

My next stop soon will either be the 610 or the Marantz slim AV amp NR1604 (JD will agree it's gorgeous) which also supports gapless. Funnily enough both components roughly cost the same, or within 100 quid.

matthewpiano

manicm said:
matthewpiano said:
Well I have just ditched my seperate CD player, if that counts.

I think 2014 will be the year that I finish ripping a lot of my CDs and they will then go into storage in favour of streaming and vinyl. I also plan to listen to more radio - FM, DAB and internet. I've already decided that, for me, 2014 is the year that I really take a breather from the whole process of worrying about and fiddling with the hi-fi. With that in mind the seperate amp, CD player and SBT are on their way out, replaced by the Marantz system which drives the Zensor 3s very capably and (in the white and black version I've gone for) looks really nice.

You fox! So doesn't the 610/Zensor 3 combo sound overly smooth as WHF seem to say?

My next stop soon will either be the 610 or the Marantz slim AV amp NR1604 (JD will agree it's gorgeous) which also supports gapless. Funnily enough both components roughly cost the same, or within 100 quid.

Nah, it is a nicely balanced combination. I'm not sure I'd really call the 610 laid back like WHF do. Sure, it doesn't throw everything at you at the speed of light, but neither would I say it is overly smooth.

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I have kept my Linn Classic and that gets used when I haven't ripped a CD and of course my be player can play CDs. However no one bothers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts