How far will convenience go?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
How far will convenience go?

First I owned a turntable based system, where you had to turn the record over every 25 minutes or so.

In the late 80s I bought into CDs big time. These played two sides of the record without having to get up. In fact as much as 74+ minutes. Faffing with a turntable seemed such a chore.

In 2013, after I’d completed the painful task of ripping all my CDs to a NAS, I thought all my Christmases had come. Suddenly I could play anything I owned, relatively quickly. Sure there was still a bit of a routine to switch on the amp, boot the Mac Mini, and wait for a few minutes while it connected to the network and launched iTunes. But after that short wait I could browse my whole collection through the Remote app on my iPhone. Faffing with the CD player seemed such a chore.

Then I subscribed to a music streaming service. The ritual of switching on the amp and Mac Mini remained, but now I could play not only the CDs I’d ripped but millions of tracks I didn’t even own.

After I bought the DM10s last year, I bought an Airport Express for much cheapness. While sat in the hotseat, from my iPhone I can instantly listen to anything, be it my music or any of the millions of songs out there in streaming land, without ever needing to get out of the chair. I haven’t booted the Mac Mini for about six months, and using a computer-based streaming solution seems a bit of a chore (other than to rip new CDs).

What’s next? I think of a song and it plays to my speakers instantly?

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Fully understand what you mean. I had a turntable replaced it with a CD player in end of the 80's and got a streamer a couple Years ago for Spotify and internet radio,controlled by my phone. Saying that I've had a nas for a year or two now but just can't bring myself to ripping all the cds and losing ing the tactile act of playing a disc I think I'm a secret Luddite.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
grimharry said:
...just can't bring myself to ripping all the cds and loosening the tactile act of playing a disc I think I'm a secret Luddite.

I agree there's no getting round the fact that ripping them is a chore with a big capital C. I found the best way to tackle it was over the dark winter nights. I work an office job so it found me something to do during the three months where daylight has gone by the time I get home. I bought a cheap £15 USB DVD ROM drive off eBay so I wouldn't sh*g the one in my iMac, and set off with an aim to do 10 CDs per night.

When the CDs were correctly recognised and the album art was easily found, that target was achievable. But some batches would be a pain: turns out I have about 40-50 obscure CDs which aren't recognised, and I had to enter all the track and artist details manually plus scan the album art if I couldn't find a decent scan online. Then I have about the same number of classical CDs which were recognised in the main but the naming convention for the album, track, orchestra and conductor was anything but standard. All those I had to change manually. Both of these scenarios hammered my nightly targets and my motivation. But by spring I had finished.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I'm also in the process of ripping my CDs and sticking them in large CD wallets, they take up too much space and I almost went berserk the last time I moved to another flat.

I'm also selling a few hundred CDs locally, but I'm still keeping the vast majority...around 3900, 4000 perhaps.

So, after ripping around 700 I think I'll finish ripping the classical stuff and ECM and I won't bother with the rest.

It has been a diabolical task but I think it will be nice to get rid of all the clutter and recoup some room in the flat. I hope...

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I remember when I got an iPod ripping cds to iTunes and double cds would sometimes stay as one album or sometimes be made into two albums, even had single cds splitting with one or two tracks forming their own files mainly due to some minor discrepancy in the labelling, and if you altered the label and tapped space after"." that would cause it to form another file. Then I had troubles with discs that has anything to do with warners failing to be recognised. So all in all I think I'll stick with cds.

Is the joy of hi-fi about convenience? When it comes to music fulfillment, this goes a lot further than clicking a switch or placing a CD in a tray.

Fof me playing music is a synthesis of scenarios: Pleasure, theatre, and, to a lesser extent, nostalgia. Regardless of format these senses need to be ignited.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
It does not bother me turning stuff on and putting a cd on that's part of the fun

iTunes used to be terrible for putting your own music on there in the early days I used have to use google for the art work and then paste it over track names had to be put in manually and so on it had taken ages .

i still got brought content that has a double album cover so it looks like I've got two albums the same not sure why iTunes software does this it's a pain

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
It does not bother me turning stuff on and putting a cd on that's part of the fun

iTunes used to be terrible for putting your own music on there in the early days I used have to use google for the art work and then paste it over track names had to be put in manually and so on it had taken ages .

i still got brought content that has a double album cover so it looks like I've got two albums the same not sure why iTunes software does this it's a pain
if I remember right if you right click on the album and click on edit or info it will probably have something saying album name disc 1 of 2 and the other will have 2 of 2 if you wipe off 1of 2 etc they should merge into one album

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
^^^ that would be a bit scary I think.

grimharry said:
I remember when I got an iPod ripping cds to iTunes and double cds would sometimes stay as one album or sometimes be made into two albums, even had single cds splitting with one or two tracks forming their own files mainly due to some minor discrepancy in the labelling, and if you altered the label and tapped space after"." that would cause it to form another file. Then I had troubles with discs that has anything to do with warners failing to be recognised. So all in all I think I'll stick with cds.

Unfortunately you can't just assume albums of compilations, albums with multiple CDs and albums with multiple contributing artists will be grouped exactly how ou expect without some user input, because they aren't necessarily labelled consistently on the internet CD database. I learned this very early on, which is maybe a good thing as it saved me a whole lot of time and heartache.

Number one tip. don't let iTunes manage your library (remove the tick in its preferences). Then, for albums with more than one CD, ensure the Album Artist and Album Name is completely the same across every CD and every track in the collection: it won't necessarily be. Get this wrong and the various CDs which make up one album won't be grouped together properly and will likely show as separate albums.

Next, ensure the CDs are correctly numbered 1 of x, 2 of x, and so on. Again, they won't necessarily be. Get this wrong and the discs and tracks won't necessarily play in the right order. If it's a compilation album by various artists, put the Album Artist as 'Various Artists / Compilations' or just 'Compilations' and ensure the Compilations tick box is ticked for all the CDs, again it won't necessarily be (but often is). Get this wrong and you could end up with stray artists among your non-compilations instead of them being grouped with the album.

Finally for each CD of a collection you rip, go into the Sorting properties and ensure the Album Sort As and Album Artist Sort As is consistent across all tracks and all CDs.

Do all of this (actually much quicker and easier than it sounds, far quicker than actually typing this reply) and all your albums with multiple CDs will be grouped together properly.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I work in an office and when I come home, first thing I do is put the radio on for couple of hours or so, gives me time to rest after a hard (or boring) day, if I then I decide to put on a cd or vinyl then I walk to my media room, pick something old or new and just play it, then usually watch tv (or maybe a film or two) for rest of the evening until bed time.

On my days off I have too much other stuff to do (meeting friends, washing, diy etc) to be bothering feeding cd's into a computer for hours on end knowing at any time my pc may fail and I would have to start again.

If you want to do it fine but its something I will never do especially as I brought the cd player I always wanted a couple of years back.

*scratch_one-s_head*

Yes, even radio offers all this, and no need to choose anything. A nice presenter does it, and only two buttons to press.

On the original point, the lack of engagement offered by an iThing and ripped collections is surely one reason why LPs are making a comeback. You get out what you put in, and the satisfaction increases as does the inconvenience. Going to a concert/recital/opera was never easy, but the rewards can be great!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
On the original point, the lack of engagement offered by an iThing and ripped collections is surely one reason why LPs are making a comeback. You get out what youput in, and the satisfaction increases as does the inconvenience.

Never really understood this argument. I never get nostalgic about my old turntable/vinyl. It was always such a faff and never added to my enjoyment of listening to music, in fact quite the opposite, it was inconvenient and frustrating.

Regarding convenience in music consumption, we are already at the point where you can listen to any music on demand in high quality, pretty much anywhere, and you don't even have to own it. There are services that can offer you suggestions for music you might like, or music to suit your mood.

At some point I'm sure virtual or augmented reality will be able to put the artist literally in your room, or transport you to the venue of a concert or live performance.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
macdiddy said:
On my days off I have too much other stuff to do (meeting friends, washing, diy etc) to be bothering feeding cd's into a computer for hours on end knowing at any time my pc may fail and I would have to start again.

Fair enough if you can't be bothered ripping and tagging loads of CDs. Who can blame you as the process is a boring PITA.

But why do you think you would lose all of your music if your computer suddenly failed? Surely you know that you can easily make backup copies. Don't you already have a backup of all your other valuble computer data? (photos, documents etc.)

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
macdiddy said:

Fair enough if you can't be bothered ripping and tagging loads of CDs. Who can blame you as the process is a boring PITA.

But why do you think you would lose all of your music if your computer suddenly failed? Surely you know that you can easily make backup copies. Don't you already have a backup of all your other valuble computer data? (photos, documents etc.)

I find the ripping process very straightforward, I just insert a CD and press extract. Voilà. Out of 700 CDs the software (Asunder - Linux) didn't find like 20 CDs in the database. I usually do it when I'm reading stuff online or finishing work at home. You don't have to just stare at the screen...

It's only a bit nightmarish if you have a really large collection like me. But I won't bother ripping everything. At least not right now.

And of course I keep backups...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
macdiddy said:
I'm sorry but I can't be arsed to do all that....I work in an office and when I come home, first thing I do is put the radio on for couple of hours or so, gives me time to rest after a hard (or boring) day, if I then I decide to put on a cd or vinyl then I walk to my media room, pick something old or new and just play it, then usually watch tv (or maybe a film or two) for rest of the evening until bed time.

Absolutely respect your view 100%, but it takes about 15 seconds tops, per CD, just to check that the groupings and tags are consistent before you rip. If you need to make a change, you highlight all the tracks at once and do it in bulk.

It's just a difference of perspective I guess. You prefer putting a CD on, whereas having to actually p'ss about doing that I would now almost view as a chore.

As for your PC crashing and losing your data, all I can say is, you'll only ever do that once in your life. After which you'll realise that the £40 it would have cost you for a 1TB HDD to back up all your data is money well spent.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Pedro said:
I find the ripping process very straightforward, I just insert a CD and press extract. Voilà. Out of 700 CDs the software (Asunder - Linux) didn't find like 20 CDs in the database. I usually do it when I'm reading stuff online or finishing work at home. You don't have to just stare at the screen...

It's only a bit nightmarish if you have a really large collection like me. But I won't bother ripping everything. At least not right now.

I've very OCD about the tagging and artwork on my music files so it probably me longer than most to do it.

Also I'm currently half way through tagging and cataloging a 200 CD Mozart box set at the moment which is taking a while. I have one full copy which is just a mirror copy of the 200 CDs which is there as a backup. But the second copy which is gradually being integrated into my digital music collection is a compressed version of all the best bits with about 50% of the tracks left out and much of the tagging and album names are being edited by hand to fit the ideal format that I want.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Pedro said:

I've very OCD about the tagging and artwork on my music files so it probably me longer than most to do it.

Also I'm currently half way through tagging and cataloging a 200 CD Mozart box set at the moment which is taking a while. I have one full copy which is just a mirror copy of the 200 CDs which is there as a backup. But the second copy which is gradually being integrated into my digital music collection is a compressed version of all the best bits with about 50% of the tracks left out and much of the tagging and album names are being edited by hand to fit the ideal format that I want.

I admit I'm lazy regarding tagging and artwork :)

Oh, did you buy the Decca/D.G. Mozart box? I'm thinking about getting that jewel...

S

SemiChronic

I havent got a massive music collection, as i stream for convenience. But what albums i do have i prefer to keep on usb sticks shoved into the back of my streamer, capacity on these things is getting stupid these days

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Pedro said:
I admit I'm lazy regarding tagging and artwork :)

Oh, did you buy the Decca/D.G. Mozart box? I'm thinking about getting that jewel...

Yes it's an absolute cracker. If you're a Mozart fan I can wholeheartedly recommend it.

I don't mide spending tens of hours over the period of about a year selecting and tagging the tracks for this because

a) I enjoying listening to each CD in its entirety as a I go and

b) putting in the work now will be worth it for the added convienience later on because this is music that I will listen to regularly for the rest of my life.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
SemiChronic said:
I havent got a massive music collection, as i stream for convenience. But what albums i do have i prefer to keep on usb sticks shoved into the back of my streamer, capacity on these things is getting stupid these days

I've just bought a second hand SqueezeBox Touch and put a 64GB USB memory stick full of MP3s in it. I've got to admit it sounds great and is very convienient and compact 'all in one' self contained hifi system when plugged into a pair of active speakers.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
IME it's good to have both. Sometimes you crave for inconvenience, something to fiddle with. It's a hobby after all. But a lot of the time you just want music, now. Do et Siri.

If only at this time inconvenience was less cool (read expen$ive).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts