Will you be ditching your CD player in 2014?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I think the time may have come for be to bid farewell to my AA CD player and it stands unused on its shelf. I can rip a CD in less than 5 minutes which is the reason the CD player never gets used. I won't stop buying CDs, just that they'll never get played more than once or twice.

Will you be selling your CD player in 2014? And what's the market like for CD players these days ... has it tubed / non-existent?

I'll be keeping mine just for convenience sake. It's easier for me to just grab a CD and put it in the drive. Even though I rip all CD's to computer its not so simple to play a track without resorting to a TV screen being utilised as well in the setup I currently have.

The Oppo is also very good with BluRay Audio discs and SACD's, all of which I have in my collection.

Plenty of life left yet in CD players I feel as until all music is available as hires downloads CD's are still the most cost-effective media.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
I'll be keeping mine just for convenience sake ...

I thought the same thing .... and never actually used it in 2012 or 2013.

Even though I rip all CD's to computer its not so simple to play a track without resorting to a TV screen being utilised as well in the setup I currently have.

It's slightly more of a faff I agree, but I use a Squeezebox Touch which is still simple and convenient.

Plenty of life left yet in CD players I feel as until all music is available as hires downloads CD's are still the most cost-effective media.

I agree ... I won't buy overpriced hi-res music downloads unless they are free (thanks Linn!), and I have bought many CDs this year, including lots of cheap used ones.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope. I did sort of this year. I say sort of because my newish BDP does CD very well so one less box. I actually played a CD the other day - I use iTunes on a Mac Mini for most of my music listening. My ATV2 is largely redundant now I no longer subscribe to iTunes Match. My Vodafone plan includes Spotify Premium for when I want to explore.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm this is a controvesial one isn't it?

Mine's gone, in favour of streaming and saving space - would I buy another CD Player? Yes possibly as I do miss the whole process of CD listening, streaming is great, but not the same as handling a disc! :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't imagine not having a CD player, though it is my least used source in the home. However, with that in mind I might dabble with one of those half price Sansui CDP's and if it's decent claw back some money from the Creek.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely not , no not a chance of that happening , :shame: :)

I have owned it more than ten years and it is still the best sounding source of music I have ever heard short of live music .

So that will be a big NO . :grin:

matthewpiano

Well I have just ditched my seperate CD player, if that counts.

I think 2014 will be the year that I finish ripping a lot of my CDs and they will then go into storage in favour of streaming and vinyl. I also plan to listen to more radio - FM, DAB and internet. I've already decided that, for me, 2014 is the year that I really take a breather from the whole process of worrying about and fiddling with the hi-fi. With that in mind the seperate amp, CD player and SBT are on their way out, replaced by the Marantz system which drives the Zensor 3s very capably and (in the white and black version I've gone for) looks really nice.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

I think 2014 will be the year that I finish ripping a lot of my CDs and they will then go into storage in favour of streaming and vinyl. I also plan to listen to more radio - FM, DAB and internet. I've already decided that, for me, 2014 is the year that I really take a breather from the whole process of worrying about and fiddling with the hi-fi. With that in mind the seperate amp, CD player and SBT are on their way out, replaced by the Marantz system which drives the Zensor 3s very capably and (in the white and black version I've gone for) looks really nice.

It took me a while to rip my CDs and find the artwork but the effort was worth it - all the tunes on my SBT or any proxy device that controls the SBT. Am umming and ahhing about an all-in-one ... my everyday system is quite compact anyway. The attraction for me is the included DAB/FM.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Nope. It'll take too long to transfer the cds onto a streaming device.

Assuming you owned and kept the original CD, I'm assuming it would still be legal to obtain a copy of the same CD that someone else has already ripped? Saves you the hassle.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
I will be keeping my player, and still be looking for used CD's when hunting for vinyl too :p

But I will not buy any new ones, most seem compressed flat and somtimes harsh too, too much remastering and messing up the sound

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
plastic penguin said:
Nope. It'll take too long to transfer the cds onto a streaming device.

Assuming you owned and kept the original CD, I'm assuming it would still be legal to obtain a copy of the same CD that someone else has already ripped? Saves you the hassle.

Possibly if you don't have to pay for the copy. Instead of having the hassle of ripping, you replace it with the task of searching out copies - I'd sooner just rip a few CDs a week. It took me 3 months.

matthewpiano

tino said:
matthewpiano said:

It took me a while to rip my CDs and find the artwork but the effort was worth it - all the tunes on my SBT or any proxy device that controls the SBT. Am umming and ahhing about an all-in-one ... my everyday system is quite compact anyway. The attraction for me is the included DAB/FM.

Its only early days, but I've got to say the Marantz is very impressive indeed. I've tried CD, DAB radio and Spotify Premium so far and all sound really enjoyable. The Marantz app works really well on my HTC phone as well. Already I'm focusing on the music more and I can understand why Chebby has enjoyed his M-CR603 so much.

I wasn't keen on it in all-black so I was really pleased to get one of the black and white ones, which look much classier IMO.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
tino said:
matthewpiano said:

Its only early days, but I've got to say the Marantz is very impressive indeed. I've tried CD, DAB radio and Spotify Premium so far and all sound really enjoyable. The Marantz app works really well on my HTC phone as well. Already I'm focusing on the music more and I can understand why Chebby has enjoyed his M-CR603 so much.

I wasn't keen on it in all-black so I was really pleased to get one of the black and white ones, which look much classier IMO.

Matthew , I am considering selling the denon DM37 I have on ebay, I have this in the bedroom

This is In favour of the streaming only version MCR510, for the prpose of listening to spotify, I have stll got issues with my PC-DAC setup and getting sick of it, but how do I get spotify on the Marantz, do I just plug a network lead(ethernet) from my DSL filter into the unit , or does it have to go via the PC. How does the unit know my account

I will still be using the Wharfedales 10.2 will these be good enough?

matthewpiano

Hi Johnno2

Its really straight forward, you'll be pleased to hear. Spotify is integrated into the system so you basically just connect the MCR510 or 610 to your router either wirelessly or using ethernet, select 'Spotify' on the Marantz (by pressing the 'Online Music' button twice on the remote), enter your Spotify Premium account details and away you go. If you connect your phone to your wireless network as well you can download the Marantz control app and it is a really nice, intuitive way of using Spotify complete with artwork. Sounds really good.

Your Wharfedales will be fine. They are still good speakers and should pair well with the Marantz. At current sale prices of around £250 I think the '510 is a real bargain, but I also wanted CD, DAB and FM. If you don't want these features the '510 is a bit of a no-brainer IMO.

Important points:

You don't need to involve your PC at all.

It won't work with a free Spotify account (same as with any such device)

You mention connecting to your DSL filter. This won't work. You need to connect to your internet router either wirelessly or via ethernet. The wireless connection is working really well for me (I have a BT Homehub 4 on Infinity).

Hope this is helpful.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I still have a CD player and I still use it, but I'm starting to use my Sonos more and more. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to ditch the CDP in 2014, but if it dies I don't know if I'll replace it, something to think about if it does - the poor old thing's about 20 now! :?

geoffreyc

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Think there is a lot of life still left in the CD format - certainly until hi-res downloads are more dominant. I still prefer to buy/listen to music on a physical format.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Ditched my CD Player a couple of years ago and now rely on an Ipod and Pure i20 dock for the main system and Revo Axis for occasional music in the kitchen. Even though I have just acquired a network enabled AVR, I doubt I'll be going as far as ditching the iPod etc. Having said all that, I've also just got a Sony BDP-S790 Blu ray Player which I gather makes a half decent CD / SACD player and will therefore be revisiting my collection of SACDs (albeit very small collection!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts