will the sq stay the same??

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
at the present i have my laptop sitting need to dac-magic so it gets spotify premium wireless from from bt home hub and then through usb to me dac.i only rip itunes 320acc because iwant all my cds to sound the same through itunes as spotify, if one was better than the other example flac or high bitrate files i would become used to it and be unable to listen to spotify. and if i really want better sq i use my turntable.

after 3months of research/questions i am in the next 5-6 weeks getting an apple tv £100 black non harddrive gen2. but am i wrong in thinking it will have to sound worse than i have.

reasons being i will be on sofa with laptop playing chess controlling spotify premium to the apple tv so the hub has to send the spotify signal wireless to the laptop then wireless to back to my bt hub the through a ethernet cable to my apple tv then through an optical to my dac-magic it seems alot of chinnese whispers if that makes sense.

all im after is someone doing something along the same lines and they have had harly any sq loss from having the laptop sitting next to hifi 24/7 ma ny thanks

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Well I don't know if this helps:

I went with my cousin to buy a streaming audio system last weekend. In the shop we demoed:

MacBook Pro (Apple Lossless) -> USB -> rDAC -> Marantz 6003 Amp -> B&W 685.

On getting the gear we bought back to his house it became:

iMac (128bps MP3) -> wi fi -> Apple TV -> Digital Optical cable -> Marantz / B&W 685

Now bear in mind that most systems sound better in the shop's listening room and that when we threw the wi fi / Apple TV into the mix at home we were listening to low bit rate rips you'd imagine we were dissapointed.

But none of it - it sounded awesome, far better than in the shop. So, at least in my (extremely) limited experience, throwing wi fi / Apple TV into the mix shouldn't degrade SQ.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
smuggs:get thats what ill be doing wifi to the apple tv, is 128bps the best it send ovewr wifi

No! His CDs had been ripped over the years purely for transfer to his iPod. I've now instructed him to re-rip using lossless. My point was that even with low bit rate, it sounded awesome...

Apple TV has a buffer and I've not had any problems with Apple lossless files over wi fi (as well as Premium Spotify).

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thanks roger06 i will have the spare money around the 16th march i will be buying that airfoil that night is it a download or just a code to enter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts