WIFE HAS AUTHORISED SURROUND - NOW NEED HELP

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I posted something earlier on the forum regarding the purchase of a new BD player, and was very happy with the advice I was given. I have just won the battle with the missus on the home cinema debate. I have authorisation to spend approx £1500-2000 on a receiver/amp and speakers. I currently have the Sony 40W4500 and S350, and my room is approx 18' x 12'. I could just go ahead and buy the kit advised by What Hi-Fi (they have not led me astray previously with the W4500 and some hi-fi separates), however I do like the advice given on the forums also.

I don't want the speakers to take over the room, so size is important (no jokes please). Also, and I know this will upset some, the look is just as important (hence my reason for not opting for the Cyrus when upgrading my amp and CD last year, as I just find the kit ugly). I would happily consider an upgrading the S350 to the Panasonic BD55 but don't know if the budget would stretch.

I am a novice when it comes to home cinema, and therefore appreciate all guidance.

Mal

D

Deleted member 2457

Yes the sony is not the greatest tv you could have brought, and the sony blu ray player is not the best.

With £1500 - £2000 you should try the Pioneer sc-lx71 amp with the B&W MT30. I have previoulsy had this combination and it works really well, and you get a great sound very clean no distortion and power.

With the sony blu ray player you are going to have to componet it up I think to get DTS hd master audio which would be better if you had one of the recent pioneer blu ray players. You could try selling the Sony on ebay and then buying a package deal for the lot.

Sevenoaks currently offering big discounts and if you shop around the sevenoaks some are better than others.

For example mimium you can expect is B&W MT30 speaker package with the Pioneer sc-lx71 amp off would be 30% off your B&W MT30 so B&W MT30 £1000 and pioneer amp puchased together the amp £900 £1900 under current offers hangle further know they will budge throw in Cables and banna plugs say you want the pioneer BDP-51fd blu ray player as well. You could probaly get near £2000 for the lot if you shop around the sevenoaks shops.

If you don't want the blu ray player you should get lower than £2000 from my experience. Hope this helps

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately I like my family to see the kit as well (I really am that shallow), and therefore the cabinet is out of the question.

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I guess you're not a Sony fan! I haven't had any problems with the tv, although I have seen from other threads that some have.

I have seen others recommend the MT30s, and as I'm shallow and need looks, I've got to say that the Pioneer stuff looks very good also. However, I am a rubbish haggler so it looks like the wife will be phoning round. We have a shop in Manchester and I might take her along and play the 'good cop, bad cop', obviously she being the bad cop. The MT30s, LX 71 and 51fd do look like a fine combination. As for selling the S350, it's a non starter as I have a daughter already lining herself up for it (dontcha just love families)......

A

Anonymous

malg:I have authorisation to spend approx £1500-2000 on a receiver/amp and speakers. I currently have the Sony 40W4500 and S350, and my room is approx 18' x 12'. I could just go ahead and buy the kit advised by What Hi-Fi (they have not led me astray previously with the W4500 and some hi-fi separates), however I do like the advice given on the forums also.

Phone around your local stores if possible and state your needs, requirements (re speaker size) and your budget. Best way to get started IMO.

How about a nice sub £400 Sony 2400ES as receiver and some KEF eggs (if you like the look of them)? There are other options of course. Are you allowed wall-mounting? For your budget you will be able to get something very decent indeed.

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Momo, thanks. As I bought my original kit from the Sony shop, and got quite a good deal, I think I could be able to get a deal on the Sony 2400ES. I will have a look at the KEF eggs, and wall mounting is definitely an option. I have three dogs (all rather large), who are allowed the run of the house, so too many speaker stands may well not be a good idea for when they have their 'mad half hour', and the dogs definitely have right of way in the house......

A

Anonymous

Yo Mal,

I'v got to say you have a great budget mate, more than my misses gave me, anyway. The Sony Blu-ray is a good machine it just dosn't have analoge outputs, which I don't think is the end of the world but there are a few ppl on here that are really serous about audio.

The Keff Systems is a great bit of kit that offer great sound from little speakers and looks good too. I didnt want to go with the crowed and went for definitive technology procinema 600 system which is amazin for the size of the speakers, the build quality is second to none, the only problem is finding somone who sells them, I'v a friend who is a audio custom installer who told me about them and I have to say they are great better than great, I ended up buying them from a small shop in Nelson near Burnley (Harry Garlicks) who could get them, they cost £800 for 5 speakers and sub.

My amp was easyer because everyone who I spoke to told me yamaha and I went for ax763, My misses is happy and so am I.

Good Luck Mate.

A

Anonymous

Hi Mal,

Have a listen to the Kef 5005.2s alongside the MT-30s. You might save a few £s.ÿ

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Speakerwise I'd say look no further than the Monitor Audio 270HD package. Theyve got the look and the sound quality (based on the speakers I have) and I just cant see you going wrong with these. IMO they sound better than the kefs, including the 5005s. Ive not heard the B&Ws

On the amp front, its difficult to say, I use an Onkyo and I find it excellent, but if thats out the question due to looks then I really can only say go and have a listen to some amps you lke the look of. Personally I'd take a good look at what Yamaha have to offer, they look sleek and I really do like the sound of these. Denon look smart but I find they dont blow me away, sounding a bit dull.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
malg:Momo, thanks. As I bought my original kit from the Sony shop, and got quite a good deal, I think I could be able to get a deal on the Sony 2400ES. I will have a look at the KEF eggs, and wall mounting is definitely an option. I have three dogs (all rather large), who are allowed the run of the house, so too many speaker stands may well not be a good idea for when they have their 'mad half hour', and the dogs definitely have right of way in the house......

Forget the Kefs and the MT30. Check out this offer. Considering the sub costs £750, this is a brilliant deal. The R90s come with wall brackets and are lovely looking speakers (I have them as my rears). You can get the Sony 2400es for £380 at Richer Sounds. That's £1380 in total and it would be a great system.

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/monitor_audio_r90_av-12.shtml

A

Anonymous

For style, it has to be the MT30 in black.

NEVER pay the list price. I got a full set and an Onkyo 606 for less than the list price of a full MT30 alone.
They need your business right now!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts