Why not a review of projector screens?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just scanned all the existing posts, and there is only one which is along the lines of what projector screen is best, which no one has followed up on.

Does the fact that What HIFI have not done any reviews, mean that they are all the same? I must admit I find that hard to believe.

What does anyone else think?

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I don't have a video projector, but from my days of projecting 35mm slides I'd say that the quality of the screen can make a big difference.

emotion-1.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Was going to post something about this myself in the near future. It has been mentioned that a roundup of projector screens might be on the horizon a few months back and Ms Newsome herself was going to look into it.

Hopefully she'll sign on at some point and let us know if anything is afoot
emotion-5.gif

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I'd love to see this too.

My 55" rear-pro is heading to the big TV junkyard soon, and I think I'll replace it with a front projection system.

Would really love to see a feature that shows the average punter just how easy it is to set up a projection system. Hopefully then they'd start buying them, and we'd get lower prices
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I suppose one problem is that different screens tend to suit different projectors. WHat might be right for a DLP projector isn't necessarily right for an LCD. Also, the amount of ambient light would affect it's performance (but then I suppose for some this is a good thing to include in a review), as well as viewing distance. The only way to review them fairly would be to use 2 or 3 different types of projectors, and try them in ambient light and full darkness situations. I think there's too many variables to keep a review of screens short and sweet.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
rabbybuy:
I have just scanned all the existing posts, and there is only one which is along the lines of what projector screen is best, which no one has followed up on.

Does the fact that What HIFI have not done any reviews, mean that they are all the same? I must admit I find that hard to believe.

What does anyone else think?

That was my post, from about 6 months ago, and the what hi fi peeps said they would be reviewing screens, but I haven't seen any yet.

Does seem like a rather glaring omission, doesn't it?

It's an area that I personally would still like help with, as the screens aren't cheap (i've seen 106" for over £800).

A

Anonymous

The price of screens is quite incredible. They can be incredibly expensive. To go with a JVC DLA-HD100 we've bought a Screen Research 92inch screen. It's electric, fit's inside the ceiling and is accoustically transparent. It cost. Wait for it. £3,500 and that's with a thumping discount.

These things are horrifically expensive, if you go for the top performing material, a large screen and a flush fitting design. It's cheaper if you can install a fixed screen, and not need an accoustically transparent model.

I'd be fascinated to see What Hi-Fi compare the products, but remember, they are suited to different environments, ie. total darkness, vs. some light intrusion. Grey vs. White. Transparent vs. Not Accoustically Transparent. Electric vs. Manual, Fixed vs. Rolled Up. Level of Light Reflectivity.

So there are sooooo many variables. It's a difficult area to do a piece on. Because it's almost an art in itself. What is shocking, is the price. But you pay for what you get. Would you want Monet to paint on recycled paper? Quite. The JVC is the artist, the Screen Research is, in this case, the canvas. It's installing this Summer. I'll let you know how it goes.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
BIG BUMP!

I'm starting to look at projectors and was wondering if there was any news on the projector screen reviews. Maybe as a rolling online project?

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
can tell you two that are great for the money - panoview - http://www.panoview.eu/ but make sure you order the ones with the gloss white square casing - own an 84" about to sell

also have a look at the grandview screens - also come in nice gloss white cases with grest brackets to wall or ceiling mount

http://www.grandviewscreen.com/products.asp?selectclassid=003003&id=18 - recently bought still to mount but quality looks fantastic

avoid draper bag of rubbish IMO - worst screen i have ever had!!

All screens i have bought have been white - never tried grey - 16:9 - with a gain of 1:1 or there aboute

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts