Why does Naim complicates things?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi... Soon I will be upgrading my front and centre speakers to the proac response, and also am thinking of upgrading my power amp to accomodate the new speakers, if I dont like the sound of my current amp (Rotel RMB1075). A good match to proacs seems to be NAIM components. I would like to keep my current av preamplifier (rotel rsp1069) as I really like it for home cinema and hifi use in bypass mode. Will I have a problem if I buy a Naim power amp, since i`m keeping the rotel preamp? The connections for speakers and input signal (DIN) are different on the naim. I know that some DIN to RCA convertors exist, but will that degrade the sound in any way?

Cheers,

Kevin.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
daspaceman:The connections for speakers and input signal (DIN) are different on the naim. I know that some DIN to RCA convertors exist, but will that degrade the sound in any way?

I doubt it.

Call Naim and ask. They are very helpful.

The 2 RCA --> 4pin DIN leads are easy to buy from companies like Chord. (Even if your Naim dealer has none in stock, Chord can have them made up to order and delivered in a couple of days.)

Check on this table for all the Chord cable types that they can do in 2 RCA ---> 4 pin DIN configuration (tenth line down)...

http://www.chord.co.uk/chordweb/chord_analogue_audio_connection_guide.htm

Here is another company you could use.....

http://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/acatalog/naim-4pin-din-phono-rca-cable.html

Evlampi

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Well i don`t think using Rotel pre with naim power is a good idea.

First - using the Rotel pre ... you cut off a big part of the Naim sound :) and second - All the Naim preamps .. support Av pass trough

So my advice - if you are not satisfied with the rotel - proac combo ... try demo with all naim kit and if you are pleased with the result - get rid of all the rotels :)

A

Anonymous

Dont like complicating things out... What other brands have Power amps sounding like Naim ..Rega? NAD? Arcam?

A

Anonymous

daspaceman:
Dont like complicating things out... What other brands have Power amps sounding like Naim ..Rega? NAD? Arcam?

The
problem is...not many people talk about the 'sound of a Naim power amp'
unless they're specifically comparing power amps intended to work with
Naim pres (e.g. Naim power amps vs Avondale). I suspect there are few
people with much experience of combining Naim powers with non-Naim pres
(again barring Avondale).

If I were in your position I'd first try your Rotels (don't fix it til you know it's broke'?), then I'd inclined to try a Naim pre/power pair if you really want to switch to Naim. I'd only mix and match across brands of pre/power if you can do some pretty serious demos - opinions on forums aren't going to be sufficient due to your unusual proposed combo.

A

Anonymous

I woluld go for dedicated stereo pre power and use AV bypass in Naim pre for connecting your AV system.

I do a similar thing but with an all Cyrus system.

A

Anonymous

Rob_manchester:daspaceman:

If I were in your position I'd first try your Rotels (don't fix it til you know it's broke'?), then I'd inclined to try a Naim pre/power pair if you really want to switch to Naim. I'd only mix and match across brands of pre/power if you can do some pretty serious demos - opinions on forums aren't going to be sufficient due to your unusual proposed combo.

Thanks, Rob..That is the first step to do. Then will evaluate what to do from there...

A

Anonymous

angelface59:

I woluld go for dedicated stereo pre power and use AV bypass in Naim pre for connecting your AV system.

I do a similar thing but with an all Cyrus system.

I should research online on how the "HT Bypass" works exactly as I dont have a clue. With your method would I be able to share the subwoofer for 2.1 listening on the Naim Power amp? , as the subwoofer would be connected to the rotel av processor?

Thanks once again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts