Audiolab 9000a vs Naim Audio Nait 5si

Photoro

Oct 7, 2020
Visit site
Hello guys!

I am in a market for a new amplifier for my Elac BS312 speakers.
My current amp is the Sabaj A10 which I bought just for temporary use, till I save up for a proper amplifier.
So, I narrowed my list to two amplifiers, Naim Nait 5si and Audiolab 9000a.
My dealer doesn't have any of the two amplifiers in stock, so I will have to order the one I'll choose, without auditioning.
What would you guys pick out of the two? Which one do you think is better sound quality wise.
By the way The Naim has no dac, so I was thinking of adding one of the Audioquest Dragonfly USB dacs.

I am looking forward to your kind opinion.
Thanks in advance!

What sources are you planning use with your choice of amplifier?

They’re very nice speakers that probably benefit from plenty of power, though the manufacturer says 50 to 150wpc, which gives plenty of scope. How much can you buy these two amps for where you live? ( In the UK the Naim is obtainable for £1100 ex dem; the Audiolab is £1999.)

Photoro

Oct 7, 2020
Visit site
What sources are you planning use with your choice of amplifier?

They’re very nice speakers that probably benefit from plenty of power, though the manufacturer says 50 to 150wpc, which gives plenty of scope. How much can you buy these two amps for where you live?
Mainly I am listening Flac files and occasionally stream from Spotify thru my lap top. The Audiolab is 2300 euro and the Naim is 1800 euro which lives me a budget of 500 euros for a dac.

Fandango Andy

Hello guys!

I am in a market for a new amplifier for my Elac BS312 speakers.
My current amp is the Sabaj A10 which I bought just for temporary use, till I save up for a proper amplifier.
So, I narrowed my list to two amplifiers, Naim Nait 5si and Audiolab 9000a.
My dealer doesn't have any of the two amplifiers in stock, so I will have to order the one I'll choose, without auditioning.
What would you guys pick out of the two? Which one do you think is better sound quality wise.
By the way The Naim has no dac, so I was thinking of adding one of the Audioquest Dragonfly USB dacs.

I am looking forward to your kind opinion.
Thanks in advance!

A couple of questions:

What spund characteristics do you like?

How did you get to a shortlist of these two?

Photoro

Oct 7, 2020
Visit site
A couple of questions:

What spund characteristics do you like?

How did you get to a shortlist of these two?
My current amp sounds very lean and distorts at higher volumes, so i would like some bigger punch, more dynamics and broader sound. I short listed those two amps because there are in my price range and where I leave there are not many choices for other brands and to be honest I like the looks :)

Fandango Andy

My current amp sounds very lean and distorts at higher volumes, so i would like some bigger punch, more dynamics and broader sound. I short listed those two amps because there are in my price range and where I leave there are not many choices for other brands and to be honest I like the looks :)
They are both powerful amps that will fit your needs. The Audiolab is a lot more than just an amp, the 7000A is probably a more direct competitor for the Naim.

If you just want an amp save your money and go for the Naim (or the 700A) if you want all the features go for the Audiolab.

Reactions: Photoro

matthewpianist

The Naim, though not obviously powerful from the specs, will drive almost anything and is a very gutsy amplifier Overall, it's less 'hi-fi' than the Audiolab. It focuses on the music above all the audiophile favourite issues such as depth and width of soundstage etc, which the Audiolab is very, very good at.

I'd make a couple of other suggestions, if you can find them where you live. The Denon PMA1700NE is a fantastic all-rounder, and a occupies a great middle ground between the Naim and Audiolab. The equivalent Yamaha amps are also excellent. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that these are any less than the so-called 'audiophile' brands, because they very much aren't.

TRENDING THREADS