Who's going to the WHF awards dinner?

£454.80 for a single ticket.
But if we book a table for 12, it works out at £409.90 each.

'There's still time to book' according to an e-mail I received today.
I can relate a recent story about another audio magazine’s awards. The same might apply to WHF?

An award winner has to pay to use the award logo/sticker thingy. So there’s a fee for stating factually in any document, web site or whatever that they won device of the year. This is offered alongside reprints of the award page - paid for again. So, call me naive, but it’s not really an award, but advertising. Obviously the product is decent, and I’m not suggesting the award goes to the highest bidder. But every time you see a logo on a dealer’s website, online or printed it has been paid for.

I had no idea. 😯

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I won 10s of industry awards in my last job, to the point where they became meaningless.

The work was never less worthy, and the judging process fairly sound & impartial. My boss was adamant about entering multiple awards every year, so we got v good at applications & presentations. It got us more work, plus free PR. And clients liked winning awards.

But the whole thing is an exercise in generating income. Admittedly, a lot of the bodies who run them are not-for-profit & use the events to plug other services that make no money. Still, paying to enter, then paying for the event if you’re shortlisted is all a bit ****.

Winning the Cannes Grand Prix was a highlight. Sorry, Cannes Corporate Grand Prix. Although that is literally a night of them handing out 300 awards to people who flew there to get pissed up (you know you’ve one something, but not what you’ve won). Try taking 10x heavy chrome dolphin trophies through the airport the next morning. No one was impressed, especially not the airline for the unexpected baggage,

An award winner has to pay to use the award logo/sticker thingy. So there’s a fee for stating factually in any document, web site or whatever that they won device of the year. This is offered alongside reprints of the award page - paid for again. So, call me naive, but it’s not really an award, but advertising. Obviously the product is decent, and I’m not suggesting the award goes to the highest bidder. But every time you see a logo on a dealer’s website, online or printed it has been paid for.
I can (just about) understand that using WHF's logo might incur a cost, but do I take it the winners aren't even allowed to mention it without paying?

I can (just about) understand that using WHF's logo might incur a cost, but do I take it the winners aren't even allowed to mention it without paying?
Good point. I think so, but I wouldn’t swear about simply a mention. The brand I spoke to had previously typed an extract of a review into their website (not a full copy), but the mag said they had to pay for any extract, on copyright grounds.

The overarching point though is that the usual adverts we all see, in magazines, websites, dealer adverts, marketing etc., all incur a fee to be able to say “Category/product of the Year 2023” along with the magazine branding.

Reactions: WayneKerr
But every time you see a logo on a dealer’s website, online or printed it has been paid for.
But not necessarily to the point that it’s a case of, “here’s £X, can we have an award?”, more a case of win an award, then having to pay for copyrighted logos/reviews etc. Might possibly be a case of being ignored the following year if you don’t pay “the ransom” I suppose..l

But not necessarily to the point that it’s a case of, “here’s £X, can we have an award?”, more a case of win an award, then having to pay for copyrighted logos/reviews etc. Might possibly be a case of being ignored the following year if you don’t pay “the ransom” I suppose..l
Definitely not the money first. Although in my acquaintance‘s case these discussions were a couple of weeks ago, once they told him the embargoed news that his product had won a category. However, the Awards issue is a few weeks away!

WHF may be completely different, but we all know what a big business these awards industries are now. So the money has to come from somewhere I guess!?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts