Monitor Audio RS6...still cut the mustard?

In a word, yes. They are still quite hot.
Okay, why start a thread on speakers I've owned since the beginning of time? Two reasons: 1) Got these down from the attic yesterday as I like to occasionally see if they still stack up. It's the first time I've used these since I had the Wharedale Dentons 80th in the late summer of 2020. 2) it might help anyone who's looking for used floorstanders to upgrade their system.
After unboxing & blowing the dust off they still look great with the silver mid/bass & bass drivers.
Once fired up, the very apparent trait is how transparent they sound. The tonal balance with the Leema, Exposure & Pro-ject table is very coherent & nicely balanced.
While the lower frequencies are very taut there was slight shortfall in definition...not by much but enough to twitch your ears a little.
Think the main reason for the huge transparency is the metal-domed tweeter. To test out the tweeters I played Kate Bush 'Weathering Heights', and cranked it up: Her voice was composed & natural. To be honest I was expecting it to sound a little on the brash side. I was pleasantly surprised.
After testing numerous different genres we came to the conclusion they prefer to rock out to the Foo Fighters than a soft Jazz or Soul style. Nevertheless they are very good all-rounder.
I suppose the only time I wouldn't recommend the RS6s is if you have very lively electronics and/or if you choose to play them in a reflective room. If so, I think that transparency could become a little over the top. But all-in-all, very impressive. Even more so given you can buy them on auction sites for between £300/400 for a well looked after pair.

I would love to see how they compare to Dali Oberon 5, as I know they are in the same price bracket (as new).

Please bear in mind they were briefly £650 before superseded by the RX model.

Just for the record, I'm not planning to sell them at any price.

Hope this can help those on the prowl for different speakers

Okay, why start a thread on speakers I've owned since the beginning of time? Two reasons: 1) Got these down from the attic yesterday as I like to occasionally see if they still stack up. It's the first time I've used these since I had the Wharedale Dentons 80th in the late summer of 2020. 2) it might help anyone who's looking for used floorstanders to upgrade their system.
After unboxing & blowing the dust off they still look great with the silver mid/bass & bass drivers.
Once fired up, the very apparent trait is how transparent they sound. The tonal balance with the Leema, Exposure & Pro-ject table is very coherent & nicely balanced.
While the lower frequencies are very taut there was slight shortfall in definition...not by much but enough to twitch your ears a little.
Think the main reason for the huge transparency is the metal-domed tweeter. To test out the tweeters I played Kate Bush 'Weathering Heights', and cranked it up: Her voice was composed & natural. To be honest I was expecting it to sound a little on the brash side. I was pleasantly surprised.
After testing numerous different genres we came to the conclusion they prefer to rock out to the Foo Fighters than a soft Jazz or Soul style. Nevertheless they are very good all-rounder.
I suppose the only time I wouldn't recommend the RS6s is if you have very lively electronics and/or if you choose to play them in a reflective room. If so, I think that transparency could become a little over the top. But all-in-all, very impressive. Even more so given you can buy them on auction sites for between £300/400 for a well looked after pair.

I would love to see how they compare to Dali Oberon 5, as I know they are in the same price bracket (as new).

Very informative.
Good to hear a well designed speaker is exactly that regardless of its age.

Very informative.
Good to hear a well designed speaker is exactly that regardless of its age.
Thanks. Of course they're not perfect, but what is?

What I should have mentioned is they need a ballsy amp because of the 'dip' on ohms. Doesn't need to be an expensive amp but it needs a bit of chuff to prevent them from clipping easily.

I've had great results with Creek Evo2, Roksan L111 & K2, any Arcam above 50 watts....

Reactions: Al ears

Tinman1952

My Monitor Audio S6 set are the models prior to these, bought in 2003/2004 and still going strong! I remember when the RS6 were launched and I thought they were the best looking speakers I had ever seen 🙂 Great sound and build quality. As you say an absolute bargain to find a decent pair second hand. 👍

My Monitor Audio S6 set are the models prior to these, bought in 2003/2004 and still going strong! I remember when the RS6 were launched and I thought they were the best looking speakers I had ever seen 🙂 Great sound and build quality. As you say an absolute bargain to find a decent pair second hand. 👍
Never heard the previous model, your S6. Did, however, listen to the S5 at SSAV many moons ago. They sounded pretty good IIRC.

It's a shame they are relegated to a attic substitute, they deserve to be used on a daily basis. I'm keeping them connected to next weekend when my daughter can help me put them back. They don't have the all-round game of the PMCs.

As I've had them since 2005, they are definite keepers.

It's a pity MA of any model tend to get overlooked, in the main, when looking at speaker upgrades.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts