Who makes hifi stereo with digital inputs?

ClydeFrog

May 22, 2009
Visit site
Like many readers, I've a high end flat screen, blu ray, iPad, Mac Mini etc. and lots of ways to get at content beyond a CD player.

I've a setup festooned with digital to rca converters to my Cambridge stereo amp.

I don't really care for the home cinema type of amps/multi speakers that do have digital inputs.

Are there hifi quality amps out there that can handle digital inputs?

Are there ones with a strong ratio of quality/price also?

As everything moves to digital formats, it would seem a logical product to have.

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
You might also consider CD players with digital inputs to their internal DAC, such as Audiolab, or even CD/preamps such as the Quad CDP. However, what you really want is HiFi makers to get with the 21st century and make stereo-only devices with HDMI or even Thunderbolt connectivity, and I can't think of any who do yet...

A

Anonymous

daveloc said:
You might also consider CD players with digital inputs to their internal DAC

Wadia make very nice CD players and you can get digital i/o with them too...at a price. The 381i is over £8k I think and the S7i around £14k. Gulp. I've got an 861 with digital i/o, probably worth around £2k and they do appear on Ebay occasionally, I would say a bargain at that price if partnered with quality kit.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
I think there are quite a few amps with a built in dacs when you get around the £1000 price point. Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to go for just a dac to your current amp? As the dac/amp market moves at different paces I would a seperate dac and amp are the products to have.

T

the record spot

Not so sure about that Danny. Harman provide an onboard DAC on their HK3490 stereo receiver (£350 or so) which has enjoyed some great reviews and delivers 120wpc. Onkyo's £300 A5-VL amp also offers an onboard DAC. There's no real need to separate them out as pro-audio manufacturers have been lumping DACs onto some active speakers for the same kind of money (Roland's DS7 for one). The point being that you can accommodate all of the electronics into a neat housing without detriment.

Of course, the separates hobby (or the need to tweak!) is inclined towards chopping and changing, but that needn't be the only way to great performance.

A

Anonymous

dannycanham said:
Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to go for just a dac to your current amp?.

The key reason for me is that very few dacs have remotes and an integrated amp with dac would allow me to choose what input i want.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Bel Canto comes to mind. They have a new integrated amp (C5i) which has an onboard DAC. Looks great too :)

OT: would be great if the Bel Canto could get a review on What-Hifi.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
And of course there's this one

Onkyo_TX_8050.jpg

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
If you can stretch a bit in price the Peachtree iDecco is a beautiful amplifier we just did a 360 degree view of. Beautiful hybrid valve design with 4 inputs (coax, optical, USB and pure digital iPod dock as the fourth).

A

Anonymous

I really can't work out why there aren't more integrated amps with dac and remote. Loads of people have a tv with digital sources but not everyone has space (or wife's permission) for surround sound. Or indeed want surround sound. Beat's me! That Onkyo amp looks very interesting...

T

the record spot

lordgrace said:
I really can't work out why there aren't more integrated amps with dac and remote. Loads of people have a tv with digital sources but not everyone has space (or wife's permission) for surround sound. Or indeed want surround sound. Beat's me! That Onkyo amp looks very interesting...

Pretty much my thinking to your lordship! If only that Onkyo had the means to deliver DTS HD Master Audio / Dolby HD audio in 2-channel, I'd be all over it. As it stands, I might be anyway. I could order once the software upgrade's been done then try it out at home for a week thanks to the Distance Selling Regulations.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
2 companies then.ie not many bellow £1k. One reason to seperate different pieces of the puzzle is to get the implementation of the power supplies dedicated and seperate. Oh and the need for cab... erm nothing.

As for the need for a remote. The UK is Europes obesity king.

No it isn't the only way. I had a panasonic midi system with an optical in to the amp in the early 90s and some of the all in one systems look alright on release, but the desirable ones don't half seem to cost alot for what they are, only to date and go out of favour quickly.

I really don't think the market is that big in the gap between mini systems with a small number of digital ins or ipod dock, AV systems with digital ins and complete seperates.

iMark

I think a lot of people with stereo separates are quite happy with them. My Denon stereo receiver is over 10 years old, has a very decent phono in and quite a few inputs and outputs.

Instead of buying new kit I bought a DacMagic to connect all the digital kit to it: DVD player/recorder, Airport Express etc.

I think a separate DAC is a great option to add digital to a stereo system and gives you much more choice of kit. OTOH I don't understand why the producers of stereo kit don't make stereo amps with Airplay.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Maybe because AirPlay requires an amp with internal DACs and streaming/internet capability, so it makes most sense to include it in products designed for home cinema and/or those built with streaming in mind, which already have DACs onboard.

iMark

Or is it that the producers want you to buy multi channel stuff so that you have to buy more speakers? :)

I'm sure it's not rocket science to produce a decent 2 channel amp with a proper DAC and a wifi receiver.

T

the record spot

Probably not, but it's also relatively new. Exposure brought out their current range in the last 18 months and it looks off the pace to my eyes, but pitched at a high price tag. I think the manufacturers are playing catch-up just now to produce equipment that meets the needs of users with an array of applications with which to connect. Difficult.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
iMark said:
Or is it that the producers want you to buy multi channel stuff so that you have to buy more speakers? :)

Not many companies make both AV receivers and speakers, so I can't see there being a vested interest in that area.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts