Who makes hifi stereo with digital inputs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iMark

Just wondering how many people buy AV equipment with 6, 7, 8 or even 9 speakers anyway.

I'd much rather have a decent stereo than a somewhat crappy AV set, especially for stereo play.

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Maybe because AirPlay requires an amp with internal DACs and streaming/internet capability, so it makes most sense to include it in products designed for home cinema and/or those built with streaming in mind, which already have DACs onboard.

I think this is a correct statement of the industry view: that stereo audio and multichannel AV products are unrelated, and which forms of processing are available, where they go in the box set, and how they are linked together are separate decisions.

I also think times have changed, this is no longer a correct view, if it ever was, and the right approach going forward would be to make stereo boxes that are effectively exactly the same as the multichannel ones except audio n=2, video n=0 — including using e.g., HDMI interfacing and just ignoring surplus channels!

iMark said:
I'm sure it's not rocket science to produce a decent 2 channel amp with a proper DAC and a wifi receiver.

No, it's much worse than that: it requires people who have a fixed mental model of a situation to realise (a) that other models exist, and (b) (harder still) are better and they should switch. Examples of this not happening in other fields, over, say, the last couple of thousand years, are too numerous and tedious to rehash ;)

T

the record spot

iMark said:
Just wondering how many people buy AV equipment with 6, 7, 8 or even 9 speakers anyway.

I'd much rather have a decent stereo than a somewhat crappy AV set, especially for stereo play.

I've only got the two speakers and no ambition to go for surround, but it's frustrating that stereo amps continue to remain with their eyes set on the past. A handful of companies have seen something like the light and stuck a DAC onboard. Onkyo are currently the only ones who recognise that people today want some degree of simplicity in their systems but don't want to have to sell the farm to get it. I'm ignoring one-box systems here from Marantz, etc., as this is amplification we're centred on here.

I hope the TX-8050 is a belter; there aren't any new integrated's I'm fussed for as the functionality simply isn't offered and that's a significantly limiting factor if you have a lot of non-redbook content.

T

the record spot

daveloc said:
I also think times have changed, this is no longer a correct view, if it ever was, and the right approach going forward would be to make stereo boxes that are effectively exactly the same as the multichannel ones except audio n=2, video n=0 — including using e.g., HDMI interfacing and just ignoring surplus channels!

Dave, you don't work for, let's see, Onkyo or Marantz or Yamaha in the UK by any chance...?! This is exactly what's needed.

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
daveloc said:

Dave, you don't work for, let's see, Onkyo or Marantz or Yamaha in the UK by any chance...?! This is exactly what's needed.

Well RS Peachtree audio have figured out whats going on and whats needed. But as pointed out already the budget and lower midrange market is wide open. I think a new Stereo amp from the likes of Marantz or Rotel which has 2 x optical, 1x coaxial and a USB input would be a real benchmark amplifier. If one does it, they all might follow. Anyway I think it is important that any such amp should have the USB input. I dont think its that hard to do, its just doing it well.

I think even the latest edition of the Fatman itube has a USB in.

I would he intested to see if such and amp in the future would compare or out perform my combo of HRT streamer and Denon amp. Only then would I consider changing.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
You say this

"I think this is a correct statement of the industry view: that stereo audio and multichannel AV products are unrelated, and which forms of processing are available, where they go in the box set, and how they are linked together are separate decisions.

I also think times have changed, this is no longer a correct view, if it ever was, and the right approach going forward would be to make stereo boxes that are effectively exactly the same as the multichannel ones except audio n=2, video n=0 — including using e.g., HDMI interfacing and just ignoring surplus channels!"

... but multi channel amps are not know to have got it right for music when compared to hi fi. 9 times out of 10 (completely made up statistic to prove a point) musical sound quality wise; traditionaly a seperate transport, dac, pre amp & power amp have got it right in more ways than cd players & integrateds and cd players & integrateds have got it right in more ways than av kit or all in one systems. So why should the industry change?

Traditionally designing a power source dedicated to one piece of the chain and isolating and spacing those components in their own box works better most of the time. You are right it is not rocket science but science does dictate that this design leads to fewer complications, fewer opportunities for interference and more opportunity for components of larger sizes and larger spacing/circuit shapes.

Bunging it all into one box with the focus changing to making it all fit and then designing a jack of all trades power source and doing the best you can with isolating components is not really hi fi. It is however something to shove under the tv and if the goings on inside the box and output were of no concern then it would be preffered.

A

Anonymous

Danny, have you got a Hi Fi for every occasion?

I like the look of the Audiolab Roksan combo

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
dannycanham said:
Traditionally designing a power source dedicated to one piece of the chain and isolating and spacing those components in their own box works better most of the time. You are right it is not rocket science but science does dictate that this design leads to fewer complications, fewer opportunities for interference and more opportunity for components of larger sizes and larger spacing/circuit shapes.

[thumbs up]

dannycanham said:
Bunging it all into one box with the focus changing to making it all fit and then designing a jack of all trades power source and doing the best you can with isolating components is not really hi fi. It is however something to shove under the tv

even more [thumbs up]

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
My list has gone a bit over the top. I tend to buy and sell kit and this year I found more time to buy and really should have found more time to sell. Having said that:

All in one + wall speakers = kitchen

Slim speakers + powerful amp = front room

Detailed + well rounded = listening room (not that I have a dedicated listening room)

Natural + well rounded = bedroom

The audiolab, roksan, dali (What Hi Fi have it wrong, when player regularly the dali's have really sweet treble) combo provides the most immediately interesting listen, but for relaxing with a glass of red I prefer to slouch infront of the spendor, cyrus, rdac (with hi fi quality power supply).

A

Anonymous

[/quote]

I think a new Stereo amp from the likes of Marantz or Rotel which has 2 x optical, 1x coaxial and a USB input would be a real benchmark amplifier.[/quote]

No truer a statement have I heard! More digital inputs on amps please manufacturers!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
When I read the title, I thought we are going to talk about Amps with DACs but I am glad to see that there are people out there who want the same thing as I do. Ideally one Integrated 2 channel amp with HDMI input to do all sorts of Digital Decoding (DTS-HD, DD-HD, PCM) possibly preouts for the rest of the channels (C, SL, SR), you know in case. Even better, no pre-out but offers Weighted control on the Stereo Downmix of Surround signals, so that one can increase the weight of the Center channel in case of movies dialogues.

From my signaure, you can figure out how much I am struggling just to get that center channel in movies.

Pathos makes Ethos with built-in DAC which is supposedly very good though never heard it but having heard Logos and using Inpol2, Ethos would be a killer product here. I guess I missed out on reading about price limitations!

TRENDING THREADS