Solution for Transferring Tape to Digital

107MHz

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Back in the '80s (I'm old), guitar playing friends and I home-recorded sessions on a Denon DRM 33 cassette deck. I have ~ dozen of these tapes and planned to transfer them to digital.

Since I have moved to digital home recording, I have a Focusrite 8i6 audio adapter that allows me to take a deck's RCA output and via USB, input it into my computer running Ableton Live DAW (digital audio workstation). From here I could edit the songs to individual FLAC files.

Stored in a closet for years, I still had the DRM 33, so this was to be my source. Unfortunately, while it was working perfectly when last used, as soon as I plugged it in, connected it to the Focusrite, and powered on, I heard a loud hum in the left channel and smelled burning electronics. It died and now refuses to power on. I assume the unit is not worth the cost of repair so looking for another solution.

I don't plan to record anything on cassette so the expense of a full featured cassette deck would be over-kill as I only need a playback unit. I'm aware there are relatively cheap USB Cassette Converters but they provide the analog-digital process and output a file. I'm concerned their AD process would be inferior to what I could attain with my system and want to edit the input myself using the DAW.

Any suggestions for a unit that just provides quality cassette transport with analog out?

If not, any suggestions on an economical deck that would yield quality playback?

Many thanks!

Gray

Back in the '80s (I'm old), guitar playing friends and I home-recorded sessions on a Denon DRM 33 cassette deck. I have ~ dozen of these tapes and planned to transfer them to digital.

Since I have moved to digital home recording, I have a Focusrite 8i6 audio adapter that allows me to take a deck's RCA output and via USB, input it into my computer running Ableton Live DAW (digital audio workstation). From here I could edit the songs to individual FLAC files.

Stored in a closet for years, I still had the DRM 33, so this was to be my source. Unfortunately, while it was working perfectly when last used, as soon as I plugged it in, connected it to the Focusrite, and powered on, I heard a loud hum in the left channel and smelled burning electronics. It died and now refuses to power on. I assume the unit is not worth the cost of repair so looking for another solution.

I don't plan to record anything on cassette so the expense of a full featured cassette deck would be over-kill as I only need a playback unit. I'm aware there are relatively cheap USB Cassette Converters but they provide the analog-digital process and output a file. I'm concerned their AD process would be inferior to what I could attain with my system and want to edit the input myself using the DAW.

Any suggestions for a unit that just provides quality cassette transport with analog out?

If not, any suggestions on an economical deck that would yield quality playback?

Many thanks!
I thought TEAC might be still selling one - but all results seem to be showing their too expensive and unnecessary twin deck.

You might be able to pick up a well maintained secondhand one.
But it would be much better if you could playback from the deck that the tapes were recorded on.

For that reason it may be worth whipping the lid off for a look or, at least finding someone to give you a free repair estimate.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts