Which one do you think is better?: QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cables or Audioquest FLX-SLiP 14/4 speaker cables?

twochordcool

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Which one do you think is better?:

QED Silver Anniversary XT speaker cables or Audioquest FLX-SLiP 14/4 speaker cables?

I don't want to get into what electronics I have - I am just curious, for those of you that have experience with these cables, which ones in general do you think are better?

What Hi Fi says that the QED cables sound a little lean...then proceed to give them a 5 star rating for a few consecutive years!

Regardless, whichever of the two I choose I plan on doubling them up and biwiring anyway.

Either double runs of FLX-SLiP 14/4 (making it actually a 14/8 per speaker)

Or

QED Silver Anniversary XT Bi-Wire

Please, if you have experience with either or both of these, let me know how you liked them.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
In a burst of early morning enthusiasm, I thought I would look these cables up and see if a judgement could be made based on their construction and electrical parameters. I was looking for something like:

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0b6b/0900766b80b6bbb8.pdf

No such luck. Couldn't even find the cross sectional area (cable thickness). How is someone purchasing cables supposed to decide without any information? Or is that the point?

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:
How is someone purchasing cables supposed to decide without any information? Or is that the point?

Not providing consumers with the information they need is very profitable, especially if the products are in essence really simple, ranging from cables to financial products. The less clear it is, the more you can make it whatever you want it to be. Smoke and mirros.

patvorys

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Try Kimber Kwik 12. It's £7.00 /m at Russ Andrews . Great cable, great price and great shealding. You can read a cheap speaker cable shootout:

http://www.epinions.com/content_5475442820?sb=1

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
any reason you keep asking the same question? http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/driving-myself-nuts-trying-to-choose-speaker-cables-for-the-rear-channel-speakers- :?

andyjm said:
In a burst of early morning enthusiasm, I thought I would look these cables up and see if a judgement could be made based on their construction and electrical parameters. I was looking for something like:

No such luck. Couldn't even find the cross sectional area (cable thickness). How is someone purchasing cables supposed to decide without any information? Or is that the point?

The clue is in the name:- 14x4 :wall:

T

the record spot

Broner said:
andyjm said:
How is someone purchasing cables supposed to decide without any information? Or is that the point?

Not providing consumers with the information they need is very profitable, especially if the products are in essence really simple, ranging from cables to financial products. The less clear it is, the more you can make it whatever you want it to be. Smoke and mirros.

Rest assured, many financial products are not simple but not all financial companies sell direct. The real skill is in finding a good IFA.

The industry has worked to improve the language it uses but it's not helped by customers ignoring the often very clear information they're sent. And the complexity and charging structure of the product they buy of course.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
andyjm said:

The clue is in the name:- 14x4 :wall:

Thanks. Didn't think of American Wire Gauge. So 2.0mm sq in modern money.

What about the QED?

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
OK, so we have the Audiquest at 2.0mm sq per conductor and the QED at 1.5mm sq per conductor. The OP wants to run 2 QED runs, or 2 Audioquest runs (hard to imagine why, but there it is).

Biwiring is a waste of time and effort, but keeping the shorting strips in place on the speaker means that effectively you are just running a thicker cable, which is no bad thing.

The electrical parameters of the cable are very likely to be similar, so the major driver will be different resistance because of the different cable thickness.

2 x QED run per speaker, biwires shorted, effective 6mm sq per conductor.

2 x Audioquest per speaker, biwires shorted, effective 8mm sq per conductor.

All other things being equal, the 2 x audioquest will be better as it has a lower resistance. However unless the cable run is long, either cable will be fine as the difference in resistance small and is very unlikely to be audible. My rule of thumb is that 2.5mm sq is adequate for all 'normal' installations.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Rest assured, many financial products are not simple but not all financial companies sell direct. The real skill is in finding a good IFA.

The industry has worked to improve the language it uses but it's not helped by customers ignoring the often very clear information they're sent. And the complexity and charging structure of the product they buy of course.

In essence, financial products are extremely simple, but they are made complex to a degree at which nobody understands it anymore, making the consumer easier to fool.

I would say that the real challenge isn’t in finding a good IFA, but a bank that respects clients.

twochordcool

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
jjbomber said:
Surely a question for Channel 4's shop secrets?
:)

Not too sure why OP would want to use 2 runs of the Audioquest cable as it's a biwire cable anyway.

Because it would only be a meager 14 gauge wire per positive and negative for biwiring if I only use a single run per speaker.

twochordcool

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
twochordcool said:
Fantastic!

Now can I have some relevant replies of substance based on my specific question?

What didn't you like about Andy's reply at post #12?

It was fine...it's just that I was hit with an onslaught of irrelevant replies initially, ie "don't bother, speaker wire makes no difference".

I'm convinced that it does at least to some degree so I was hoping to hear back from people that have some experience with these particular cables...because I am going to choose between one of the two - at this point other suggestions are a distraction.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
twochordcool said:
Fantastic!

Now can I have some relevant replies of substance based on my specific question?

but there's a thread full of replies to the same exact question you asked last time, and a load of advice, which you promptly ignored, so not sure what you expect to get out of asking the same thing again?

Just buy one of the cables, given it's for your rear speakers if you can actually tell the difference I'll make you a cuppa.

twochordcool

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Won't be able to tell a difference because there will be nothing to compare what I ultimately purchase to.

Was hoping that someone here might work in a stereo shop and has experience with these cables, switching them out and comparing, etc...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
twochordcool said:
BenLaw said:
twochordcool said:
Fantastic!

What didn't you like about Andy's reply at post #12?

It was fine...it's just that I was hit with an onslaught of irrelevant replies initially, ie "don't bother, speaker wire makes no difference".

I'm convinced that it does at least to some degree so I was hoping to hear back from people that have some experience with these particular cables...because I am going to choose between one of the two - at this point other suggestions are a distraction.

Well some loudspeaker manufacturers arn't convinced, maybe have at look at the Harbeth forum. As for biwiring many believe its a waste of money, what speakers and amp are you using?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
but the thing is, even if somebody did have experience, they aren't going to be able to help you because they couldn't tell you what it's going to sound like in your room, and as we keep saying, more importantly, how it will affect the rears, which would be marginal and neigh on impossible to make out when it's in the mix.

Seriously, stop thinking too much about it and just go and buy one of the two cables you've narrowed it down to. I can guarantee that both will work.

twochordcool

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Something about What Hi Fi budget speaker cable reviews doesn't make any sense to me:

Follow me here!:

Chord Company Silverscreen came out and "displaced" QED Silver Anniversary XT as the best budget cable, but both remained 5 star reviewed products.

THEN Audioquest FLX-SLiP 14/4 "displaced" Chord Carnival Silverscreen, knocking it down to a 4 star rated product...

But SOMEHOW QED Silver Anniversary XT remains a 5 star rated product?

Do I have this right?!

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh christ. Just please buy some cable, you're making me confused now :D

The reviews are subjective and cannot take in to account your exact equipment in your exact set up in your exact room, therefore they should only be used as a rough guideline. Seriously, stop worrying about it, go buy some cable and start enjoying it.

TRENDING THREADS