• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Speaker Cables recommendation

dakchi

New member
Apr 9, 2011
18
0
0
Hello,

I bought a cheap copper cable for my speakers 3 years ago and was happy with it until I realized that it became gray because the copper has oxidized. So I decided to invest in a good speaker cable. I know that some will argue that the cables do not have a significant impact on the sound and will therefore recommend to save money and buy inexpensive cables. However, I wanted to give it a try and check by myself if I will hear a difference. My budget is around 10 p/m. I have shortlisted the following cables: QED Reference XT40, Van Damme UP-LCOFC, QED RUBY Anniversary EVOLUTION and AudioQuest FLX SLiP 14/4

Which one would you recommend? I am open to other suggestions

Thank you
 
S

SemiChronic

Guest
Assuming your set up is good enought to distinguish cables . .

TQ Blue second hand from ebay is worth a punt, and you can always get your money back selling it on, as i have with both blue and silver.
 

CarlDW

New member
Dec 29, 2011
23
0
0
I use Van Damme cables from Amazon, 2.5mm, pre terminated. Cheap, and do the job well.
 

kukulec

Well-known member
Jan 25, 2015
40
7
10,545
dakchi said:
I have shortlisted the following cables: QED Reference XT40, Van Damme UP-LCOFC, QED RUBY Anniversary EVOLUTION and AudioQuest FLX SLiP 14/4
I have Van Damme 2*4 mm and QED XT40. The latter is better in every way in my system. Ruby I don't know, the place I bought the cables, they told it is nice, but does not have the same resolution. The QED sounds bit forward and lively, but it is a matter of taste if you like it. With this character the only cables I clearly prefered were Vertere Pulse Minis in a completely different price range. I saw forum mates liking Chord, Supra and AQ cables too.
 

dakchi

New member
Apr 9, 2011
18
0
0
SemiChronic said:
Assuming your set up is good enought to distinguish cables . .

TQ Blue second hand from ebay is worth a punt, and you can always get your money back selling it on, as i have with both blue and silver.
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any second hand TQ in ebay
 

dakchi

New member
Apr 9, 2011
18
0
0
insider9 said:
It's important to consider the length. Any debate as to what cable you're to use without that info is pointless as cables may just be inadequate. Another consideration should be based on the rest of your system and your what sound you prefer bright/warm/neutral... Adding a silver plated cable to an already bright system may not be a good idea.

OP, please let us know the details. The more you give the more you get :)
You are right, I have eliminated silver cables from the start. The lenght of the cable will be 2x4m. My system is made of a Marantz PM6005 (will be replaced soon by a Cambridge CXA80) and a pair of Monitor Audio RX6. I like warm sound

If you need more info, please let me know

Thanks
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
739
298
5,270
It's important to consider the length. Any debate as to what cable you're to use without that info is pointless as cables may just be inadequate. Another consideration should be based on the rest of your system and what sound you prefer bright/warm/neutral... Adding a silver plated cable to an already bright system may not be a good idea.

OP, please let us know the details. The more you give the more you get :)
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
718
111
19,070
I use supra classic 6.0 and they seem to me as they have any noticeable cons compared to supra ply 3.4 that costs the same, 100€ for a pair with good banana plugs should be possible
 

seemorebtts

Well-known member
Feb 2, 2013
66
0
18,540
If you can afford it start with your power leads first and then Speaker wire.this will be a great upgrade and have a more balanced system.the qed xt40 is the most balanced and best Speaker wire you have mentioned but try something like the Clearer audio copper line alpha power cable at £60
 

andyjm

New member
Jul 20, 2012
15
0
0
dakchi said:
insider9 said:
It's important to consider the length. Any debate as to what cable you're to use without that info is pointless as cables may just be inadequate. Another consideration should be based on the rest of your system and your what sound you prefer bright/warm/neutral... Adding a silver plated cable to an already bright system may not be a good idea.

OP, please let us know the details. The more you give the more you get :)
You are right, I have eliminated silver cables from the start. The lenght of the cable will be 2x4m. My system is made of a Marantz PM6005 (will be replaced soon by a Cambridge CXA80) and a pair of Monitor Audio RX6. I like warm sound

If you need more info, please let me know

Thanks
So putting aside the 'I think this, I think that' responses, we could try a bit of analysis.

Speaker cables are part of a system that comprises the output stages of the amplifier, the cable itself and the speakers. Cables exhibit inductance, capacitance and resistance. A bit of very basic circuit analysis shows that the only thing that matters in a domestic installation with reasonably short cable lengths is resistance.

Copper is copper, and notwithstanding all the 'oxygen free' nonsense, generally has the same resistance (absent very poor quality copper cables that have come from China).

Resitance is driven by cable length and thickness. So keep the cables short and thick, and all will be good. In your case, anything north of 2.5mmsq cross sectional area should be fine. Any manufacturer will do (and will be the same).

As for warm cables - what's all that about? This is a bit of wire, not a woolly jumper... and while we are at it, I see the 'silver plated cables are bright' nonsense rearing its head again. Don't they teach physics in school anymore?
 

andyjm

New member
Jul 20, 2012
15
0
0
seemorebtts said:
If you can afford it start with your power leads first and then Speaker wire.this will be a great upgrade and have a more balanced system.the qed xt40 is the most balanced and best Speaker wire you have mentioned but try something like the Clearer audio copper line alpha power cable at £60
Good grief. Power leads???

Why on earth would the OP want to mess about with his power leads?
 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
andyjm said:
dakchi said:
insider9 said:
It's important to consider the length. Any debate as to what cable you're to use without that info is pointless as cables may just be inadequate. Another consideration should be based on the rest of your system and your what sound you prefer bright/warm/neutral... Adding a silver plated cable to an already bright system may not be a good idea.

OP, please let us know the details. The more you give the more you get :)
You are right, I have eliminated silver cables from the start. The lenght of the cable will be 2x4m. My system is made of a Marantz PM6005 (will be replaced soon by a Cambridge CXA80) and a pair of Monitor Audio RX6. I like warm sound

If you need more info, please let me know

Thanks
So putting aside the 'I think this, I think that' responses, we could try a bit of analysis.

Speaker cables are part of a system that comprises the output stages of the amplifier, the cable itself and the speakers. Cables exhibit inductance, capacitance and resistance. A bit of very basic circuit analysis shows that the only thing that matters in a domestic installation with reasonably short cable lengths is resistance.

Copper is copper, and notwithstanding all the 'oxygen free' nonsense, generally has the same resistance (absent very poor quality copper cables that have come from China).

Resitance is driven by cable length and thickness. So keep the cables short and thick, and all will be good. In your case, anything north of 2.5mmsq cross sectional area should be fine. Any manufacturer will do (and will be the same).

As for warm cables - what's all that about? This is a bit of wire, not a woolly jumper... and while we are at it, I see the 'silver plated cables are bright' nonsense rearing its head again. Don't they teach physics in school anymore?
Of course not.

In most schools it has been replaced by 'gender studies'.

Facts have been replaced by opinions and all opinions are valid, however ill-informed.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
739
298
5,270
andyjm said:
As for warm cables - what's all that about? This is a bit of wire, not a woolly jumper... and while we are at it, I see the 'silver plated cables are bright' nonsense rearing its head again.  Don't they teach physics in school anymore?
This is of course my opinion and what I have experienced. I don't know how it translates into other cables but from the ones I've owned silver plated sounded slightly brighter when compared to pure copper.

In regards to physics, are you saying that copper and silver plated copper have exactly the same electrical properties? I'd be interested to know whether my experiences have any scientific explanation or it's just in my head.
 

andyjm

New member
Jul 20, 2012
15
0
0
insider9 said:
andyjm said:
As for warm cables - what's all that about? This is a bit of wire, not a woolly jumper... and while we are at it, I see the 'silver plated cables are bright' nonsense rearing its head again. Don't they teach physics in school anymore?
This is of course my opinion and what I have experienced. I don't know how it translates into other cables but from the ones I've owned silver plated sounded slightly brighter when compared to pure copper.

In regards to physics, are you saying that copper and silver plated copper have exactly the same electrical properties? I'd be interested to know whether my experiences have any scientific explanation or it's just in my head.
If there was an argument, it goes like this:

Silver is a better conductor than copper (by volume - aluminium is a better conductor than copper by weight).

High frequency signals tend to flow close to the surface of a cable because of skin effect.

Therefore, in a silver plated cable, the higher freqencies travel in a lower resistance region and suffer less attenuation than the lower frequencies. The cable is 'bright'

Like much in the HiFi cable world, the real question is how much is the effect, and is it audible?

It depends on the thickness of the silver, and the frequencies in question. Given the very thin silver plating on speaker cables and relatively low frequencies of audio signals the answer is 'not much', and 'no'.
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
739
298
5,270
andyjm said:
insider9 said:
andyjm said:
As for warm cables - what's all that about? This is a bit of wire, not a woolly jumper... and while we are at it, I see the 'silver plated cables are bright' nonsense rearing its head again.  Don't they teach physics in school anymore?
This is of course my opinion and what I have experienced. I don't know how it translates into other cables but from the ones I've owned silver plated sounded slightly brighter when compared to pure copper.

In regards to physics, are you saying that copper and silver plated copper have exactly the same electrical properties? I'd be interested to know whether my experiences have any scientific explanation or it's just in my head.
If there was an argument, it goes like this:

Silver is a better conductor than copper (by volume - aluminium is a better conductor than copper by weight). 

High frequency signals tend to flow close to the surface of a cable because of skin effect.

Therefore, in a silver plated cable, the higher freqencies travel in a lower resistance region and suffer less attenuation than the lower frequencies. The cable is 'bright'

Like much in the HiFi cable world, the real question is how much is the effect, and is it audible?

It depends on the thickness of the silver, and the frequencies in question.  Given the very thin silver plating on speaker cables and relatively low frequencies of audio signals the answer is 'not much', and 'no'. 

 
Thank you Andyjm, very informative.
 
Feb 18, 2015
58
0
0
You can't go wrong with a bit of linn k20 aka nac a4 it's a good copper cable and can be found on the well known auction site for not a lot of money.nothing fancy to see here just a good honest cable.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
davedotco said:
andyjm said:
dakchi said:
insider9 said:
It's important to consider the length. Any debate as to what cable you're to use without that info is pointless as cables may just be inadequate. Another consideration should be based on the rest of your system and your what sound you prefer bright/warm/neutral... Adding a silver plated cable to an already bright system may not be a good idea.

OP, please let us know the details. The more you give the more you get :)
You are right, I have eliminated silver cables from the start. The lenght of the cable will be 2x4m. My system is made of a Marantz PM6005 (will be replaced soon by a Cambridge CXA80) and a pair of Monitor Audio RX6. I like warm sound

If you need more info, please let me know

Thanks
So putting aside the 'I think this, I think that' responses, we could try a bit of analysis. 

Speaker cables are part of a system that comprises the output stages of the amplifier, the cable itself and the speakers. Cables exhibit inductance, capacitance and resistance.  A bit of very basic circuit analysis shows that the only thing that matters in a domestic installation with reasonably short cable lengths is resistance. 

Copper is copper, and notwithstanding all the 'oxygen free' nonsense, generally has the same resistance (absent very poor quality copper cables that have come from China).

Resitance is driven by cable length and thickness.  So keep the cables short and thick, and all will be good. In your case, anything north of 2.5mmsq cross sectional area should be fine. Any manufacturer will do (and will be the same).

As for warm cables - what's all that about? This is a bit of wire, not a woolly jumper... and while we are at it, I see the 'silver plated cables are bright' nonsense rearing its head again.  Don't they teach physics in school anymore?
Of course not.

In most schools it has been replaced by 'gender studies'.

Facts have been replaced by opinions and all opinions are valid, however ill-informed.
In school over in south africa we used to get cuts (caning) for every mark out of 10 we lost so 5/10 would be 5 cuts. This was for metalwork and woodwork and in high school.

So if facts are now replaced by opinions then dont worry about cables and power leads. Get the best sounding av rack possible lol
 

dakchi

New member
Apr 9, 2011
18
0
0
Hello,

I went to a local hifi dealer and he recomended the Supra 3.4s to me. Anyone tried this cable?
 

seemorebtts

Well-known member
Feb 2, 2013
66
0
18,540
dakchi said:
Hello,

I went to a local hifi dealer and he recomended the Supra 3.4s to me. Anyone tried this cable?
no but if you're local dealer is any good he will lend it to you and you can make up your own mind
 

Gaz37

Well-known member
Sep 23, 2014
58
0
10,540
andyjm said:
insider9 said:
andyjm said:
As for warm cables - what's all that about? This is a bit of wire, not a woolly jumper... and while we are at it, I see the 'silver plated cables are bright' nonsense rearing its head again. Don't they teach physics in school anymore?
This is of course my opinion and what I have experienced. I don't know how it translates into other cables but from the ones I've owned silver plated sounded slightly brighter when compared to pure copper.

In regards to physics, are you saying that copper and silver plated copper have exactly the same electrical properties? I'd be interested to know whether my experiences have any scientific explanation or it's just in my head.
If there was an argument, it goes like this:

Silver is a better conductor than copper (by volume - aluminium is a better conductor than copper by weight).

High frequency signals tend to flow close to the surface of a cable because of skin effect.

Therefore, in a silver plated cable, the higher freqencies travel in a lower resistance region and suffer less attenuation than the lower frequencies. The cable is 'bright'

Like much in the HiFi cable world, the real question is how much is the effect, and is it audible?

It depends on the thickness of the silver, and the frequencies in question. Given the very thin silver plating on speaker cables and relatively low frequencies of audio signals the answer is 'not much', and 'no'.
Now I only have a very basic understanding of electrical signals so could somebody explain to me how different frequencies travel through different parts of the cable? Which part of the amp splits the frequencies and distributes them to the relevant section of cable? Also if the amp doesn't know what cable is connected to it how does it know how to distribute the frequencies correctly? Or does the signal get "split up" inside the cable somehow? If this is the case how does the same happen in a solid core cable?
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,232
4
19,195
Gaz37 said:
Now I only have a very basic understanding of electrical signals so could somebody explain to me how different frequencies travel through different parts of the cable? Which part of the amp splits the frequencies and distributes them to the relevant section of cable? Also if the amp doesn't know what cable is connected to it how does it know how to distribute the frequencies correctly? Or does the signal get "split up" inside the cable somehow? If this is the case how does the same happen in a solid core cable?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/audio/skineffect/page1.html

... the basic explanation is there even if you dodge all the formulae :)

However, as Andy pointed out, the frequencies at which this really matters are orders of magnitude higher than audio frequencies present in our cables.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
chebby said:
Gaz37 said:
Now I only have a very basic understanding of electrical signals so could somebody explain to me how different frequencies travel through different parts of the cable? Which part of the amp splits the frequencies and distributes them to the relevant section of cable? Also if the amp doesn't know what cable is connected to it how does it know how to distribute the frequencies correctly? Or does the signal get "split up" inside the cable somehow? If this is the case how does the same happen in a solid core cable?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/audio/skineffect/page1.html

... the basic explanation is there even if you dodge all the formulae :) 

However, as Andy pointed out, the frequencies at which this really matters are orders of magnitude higher than audio frequencies present in our cables.
So what they are saying is all this is just marketing, typical 'hifi audiophille' BS

If you want real advise go to pro shop for cable
 

bubobubo

New member
Nov 9, 2016
34
0
0
dakchi said:
Hello,

I went to a local hifi dealer and he recomended the Supra 3.4s to me. Anyone tried this cable?
i have supra classic 4.0 and is better with the bass than van den hul the clear water, for my cheap amp and cheap bluray i prefer the supra classic cable, here in Sweden you can buy per meter and is cheap, the one you say is litle more expensive because it had shield around the cable, but you can buy for less money supra rondo 2 x 2,5mm that is great but i prefer litle more thick that is why i use 4 mm

ps. the supra classic 2,5 mm is one of the cheapest for those that dont want to espend much and sound ok, but the 4.0 is lile more "heavy" *dirol*
 

bubobubo

New member
Nov 9, 2016
34
0
0
gasolin said:
I use supra classic 6.0 and they seem to me as they have any noticeable cons compared to supra ply 3.4 that costs the same, 100€ for a pair with good banana plugs should be possible
wow i dont know sound it spensive maybe it is because it have banana plugs; here in sweden it cost 7 euro per meter for the supra 6.0

https://www.prisjakt.nu/kategori.php?o=produkt_pris_inkmoms&b=s309465502
 

dakchi

New member
Apr 9, 2011
18
0
0
I bought the Supra 3.4s at 13 euros/m and I'm very happy with them so far. I have never heard about this brand before, but it is very good
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts