Magicmayhem

Mar 10, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am the proud owner of the Audiolab 6000a amp, and Monitor Audio Bronze 2 bookshelf speakers.

When the set up was in a small room, it was great!

I recently got married, and my new wife and I have moved into a new place, and now the set up is in a much larger room, with wooden floorboards throughout. Now I feel that it lacks the weight and presence that I want from my music.

In addition, we have just recently purchased a 55" LG 4k tv for a room upstairs (we don't like having a tv in our living area, but love having music).

I am thinking that going forward, I should purchase a set of floor standers for the living room, paired with the Audiolab, and then use the Monitor Audios in a future surround sound system upstairs.

1) I think I should be able to scrape together £1200 for speakers, and on my current shortlist are KEF Q750, Dali Oberon 7, Wharfedale Evo 4, Mission QX5, Monitor Audio Silver 200. Does anybody have any others to try? Are there any these you don't think would be suitable, or pair nicely? I want a fun sound, but I listen to a really diverse range of music, from rock, techno, house, downtempo, to jazz and opera, so voices and clarity are also important to me.

2) The surround sound system is definitely less important for us, we play music all the time, and just watch a movie once a week or so, will the Monitor audios be good front speakers? I like the look of the current crop of Denon receivers, and am keeping an eye on second hand ones....will they be a good pairing?

3) Any other ideas? I am fairly new to this and LOVE the researching and learning!

Thank you so much for your time, experience and advice!

Mike

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey Mike,

since you are happy with your setup in a smaller room, adding a sub to the system could do the trick in the larger room.Your audiolab has pre outs you can use for that!
If you plan to buy an AVR more options will be available like to set a cut off for the bass.

Best

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Hello Mike,

Looks like you have a good shortlist there.

I own a pair of B&W 603’s. I think they’re fantastic speakers and are especially good with vocals.

I’d go to a dealer if you can and blind A to B test a few different ones on your list.

Last edited:

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am the proud owner of the Audiolab 6000a amp, and Monitor Audio Bronze 2 bookshelf speakers.

When the set up was in a small room, it was great!

I recently got married, and my new wife and I have moved into a new place, and now the set up is in a much larger room, with wooden floorboards throughout. Now I feel that it lacks the weight and presence that I want from my music.

In addition, we have just recently purchased a 55" LG 4k tv for a room upstairs (we don't like having a tv in our living area, but love having music).

I am thinking that going forward, I should purchase a set of floor standers for the living room, paired with the Audiolab, and then use the Monitor Audios in a future surround sound system upstairs.

1) I think I should be able to scrape together £1200 for speakers, and on my current shortlist are KEF Q750, Dali Oberon 7, Wharfedale Evo 4, Mission QX5, Monitor Audio Silver 200. Does anybody have any others to try? Are there any these you don't think would be suitable, or pair nicely? I want a fun sound, but I listen to a really diverse range of music, from rock, techno, house, downtempo, to jazz and opera, so voices and clarity are also important to me.

2) The surround sound system is definitely less important for us, we play music all the time, and just watch a movie once a week or so, will the Monitor audios be good front speakers? I like the look of the current crop of Denon receivers, and am keeping an eye on second hand ones....will they be a good pairing?

3) Any other ideas? I am fairly new to this and LOVE the researching and learning!

Thank you so much for your time, experience and advice!

Mike
How big is the new room? The 6000A is 50W output. High quality Watts but 50 nonetheless. The new speakers will need to be quite sensitive if it is a big space.

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
How big is the new room? The 6000A is 50W output. High quality Watts but 50 nonetheless. The new speakers will need to be quite sensitive if it is a big space.

There's 3dB between 50w/ch and 100w/ch, minus power compression and any instantaneous non-linearities that your speakers might present.

I'd suggest that, in order to make an upgrade worthwhile, the buyer should be looking for at least 6dB more, which would be 200w/ch.

Chris

gasolin

There's 3dB between 50w/ch and 100w/ch, minus power compression and any instantaneous non-linearities that your speakers might present.

I'd suggest that, in order to make an upgrade worthwhile, the buyer should be looking for at least 6dB more, which would be 200w/ch.

Chris

You say related to the bigger room and the sensitivity of the speakers?

i suggested Q acoustics 3050 because of there higher sensitvity one more units and a low price with still some of the clarity of the bronze 2's, what i didn't thought of was the speakers are rated at 90db (bronze2) and even when it's only 88db 50 watt watt pr channel in 8 ohm is enough for most people in a big room.

I should know, i have 85db speakers and 2x80 watt in 8 ohm.

Last edited:

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
In my experience, 3dB never made or broke the gig. Or, in this case, the enjoyment of a HiFi system.

SteveH seemed to think 50w/ch won't be enough, and I'd suggest that it'll probably be fine. In the event that it isn't, a good jump in power levels would be required.

Whether the speakers can handle the extra power is another consideration again.

It'd be interesting to know how loud everyone actually listens. There's a big thread on another forum where it turns out that a lot of people are listening at a fraction of a watt.

Chris

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
SteveH seemed to think 50w/ch won't be enough, and I'd suggest that it'll probably be fine. In the event that it isn't, a good jump in power levels would be required.
Chris

My point was we need to ascertain the dimensions of the room. The Audiolab is in place so 50W is what we are working with.

Where does this recommendation come from, exactly? The OP has up to £1200 to spend on speakers - a good amount compared to he cost of the amp - says he is enjoying the sound signature of Monitor Audios and you advise him to look at a £300 pair of first generation QAcoustics, known for their warm sound signature. They may be good floorstanders for £300 but that's it.

Once the OP let's us know his room dimensions, I'm sure we can come up with some suggestions based on this and his amp.

PWani

Aug 6, 2020
Visit site
Folks using the Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary version, any concerns that those speakers can drop below 4ohms (think it can go to 3.7 or so)?

PWani

Aug 6, 2020
Visit site
Can you please explain what this has to do with the OPs original question?
If you have another question perhaps starting your own thread would be the way to proceed.
Op is talking about speaker matching with the 6000a, to which someone (knaithrover) suggested the Wharfedale Lintons. If these are indeed a valid pairing has everything to do with OPs question, I believe. Thanks. Reading again, perhaps the definition of the Lintons as floorstanders is in question. I consider them that, with the Linton stands.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts