Where have all the HiFi members gone?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
The_Lhc said:
CJSF said:
the 'giant killing' reputation of the amp I am now using is well founded. I believe, few would understand or would want to agree, thats fine by me, each to his own.

Now, I'm curious, what are you using these days?

Hi The_Lhc, all goes back a long way, I changed amps when I was in the middle of tweaking my turn table. Better and better presentation then I got the feeling the amp was not quite keeping up? So I went from the Croft hybrid to the full valve Icon ST40 MkIII.

The result, a smoother presentation. I thought it was OK, but one has to be honest, I was not 100% happy, got involved in valve rolling (changeing valve makes, they all sound different and can be very expensive). That was 18 months ago, now all that TT tweaking has finished. So I turned my attention to the room accustics . . . this is when I started to realise the things that I thought was the early Croft amp were actualy poor room accustics.

A long hard re think . . . dig the Croft out of the loft, with my bodged up room treatment in place, the Croft had a presentation I prefered. That was over a month ago, thats not to say the Icon is a bad amp, far from it, but the things I liked about the Croft 3 years ago when I first bought it have become more obvious now the 'room is working better'.

Minimal interest from the forum, so I am doing my own thing, I have tried to pass on what can be achived with thought, a little effort and not a lot of cash. I think I could have avoided throwing a big amount of cash at a problem 18 months ago that in truth did not sit with the amp . . . The next issue, it is worth upgrading the Croft to the 'R' (regulated) model . . . ? Glen Croft can rebuild my curent bassic to the 'R' specification.

But you see The_Lhc, I doubt any one will be interested, I'm waiting for my dealer to get the 'R' model in stock so that I can have it home for a few days? But that is another story to unfold that I will probably keep to myself.

CJSF

Well I am always interested in what you have to say *smile*

I too have done the hanging duvets on the wall and sticking bits of foam in odd places before I bought proper acoustic panels, so I do understand *yes3*

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
andyjm said:
The_Lhc said:
Freddy58 said:
I think one of the problems we have here, is that the forum is a bit sterile, no sense of fun. Just my opinion, others are available

Spend a week in the Sonos forum and then tell me this place is no fun. This place is like Saturday Night Live compared to that forum. Drier than the Sahara desert that lot...

Ahh. You mean the 'Sonos can do no wrong' forum? When I get a few minutes I will post a summary of the 'journey' I have had getting a whole-house Sonos system to work. Monumental pain in the backside.

What's your username on there? Couldn't find anything under the username you use here. There's a similar username but that hasn't made any posts according to the search function.

Andy8421

D

Deleted member 2457

El Hefe said:
If only the website was not changed... I would post more here. Too many instances where my post was triggered as spam.
Thats a shame too.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
andyjm said:
The_Lhc said:
Freddy58 said:
I think one of the problems we have here, is that the forum is a bit sterile, no sense of fun. Just my opinion, others are available

Spend a week in the Sonos forum and then tell me this place is no fun. This place is like Saturday Night Live compared to that forum. Drier than the Sahara desert that lot...

Ahh. You mean the 'Sonos can do no wrong' forum? When I get a few minutes I will post a summary of the 'journey' I have had getting a whole-house Sonos system to work. Monumental pain in the backside.

Would be interesting to know what problems you had andyjm. I have Sonos in four rooms in the house and set-up was a breeze. Only problem I've had is with my ISP (Virgin) traffic managing my broadband like crazy in the evenings so sometimes get dropouts, especially when streaming CD-quality stuff on Qobuz.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for you positive replies Vladimir and Electro. I have to order some pannels soon and get that 'R' version of the Croft home for a listen.

Sadly, one feels that the forum in general does not think the way of 'fine tuning what one has', (unless its cables of course*dash1*) just throw money at it and change the box . . . depresses me to the point of not being bothered to post, few will understand, get on and do my own thing?

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
What are all you ladies doing to be having so many issues with the forum? Are you browsing the forum on a mobile or tablet? I rarely get any issues with anything here using the old PC. One thing that does bug me however is the Firefox add on spell checker doesn't work on this forum. Means I have to read my own posts....cue the set up....

I pop in every day or so looking for interesting topics but it's difficult to discuss the latest What HiFi reviews since they're usually just someone's opinion of a bit of kit in their system and their room. I also pop on one or two other forums. The Harbeth users group has interesting discussions surrounding hifi but it's not as swift flowing as this as they pre moderate every post.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
CJSF, I wouldn't feel too badly, plenty of my posts get ignored
thumbs_up.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
My sister has a Sonos soundbar and sub. It sounds OK, but no better than that. My decidedly ancient budget Sony / B&W / BK system leaves it for dead.

It's designed for TV, I wouldn't expect much else, certainly wouldn't expect any of the Play series to out-perform B&Ws and BK subs.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi CJSF

I've loved reading your journey over the last year and i have kind of experienced the "upgrade" thing with out much better results, and probally going to do it again with some Harbeth P3ESR's.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
CJSF said:
just throw money at it and change the box . . .

To be fair though you have changed a few boxes yourself, if memory serves.

The only box I have changed The_Lhc is the Croft to Icon amp, other than that, I still have the same speakers, speaker cable interconects, even the turntable is still a 'P5' that I have fine tuned.

As indicated, I admit, I'm not sure the the amp change was a good one? I have added the Icon PS1 phone amp, as the ST40 is line only. If I change the Croft to the 'R' version, it will be a rebuild of the existing amp, not a new box. I have discussed this option with Glen Croft. He says the bits that make the differance will cost £500, not cheap but a new 'R' amp is over three times that. Incidently the ST40 is still up for grabs.

So no, I have not been a box changer, I am a tweaker, one gets the best from what one has and if I can make it myself all the better . . .

CJSF

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
For me, the new website (and the problems with tablets that came with it) wasn't the real reason for taking a 'sabatical leave' here. It was the last straw. Writing a longish post and seeing it vanish in the air when pressing 'save': not pleasant!

But the actual problem was the lack of feedback when giving advice (mostly to newbies). I had three Belgians in a row here, whom I helped the best I could (general advice, suggesting gear, locating good dealers near them), and none of them ever reported back how things had turned out. So why bother?

And reading through the current threads, I can't find much that really gets under my skin either, to be honest. So, I'll probably be back every once and a while, just to see if things get better (website design and content)...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
So I turned my attention to the room accustics . . . this is when I started to realise the things that I thought was the early Croft amp were actualy poor room accustics.

(...)

Minimal interest from the forum, so I am doing my own thing, I have tried to pass on what can be achived with thought, a little effort and not a lot of cash.

(...)

But you see The_Lhc, I doubt any one will be interested, I'm waiting for my dealer to get the 'R' model in stock so that I can have it home for a few days? But that is another story to unfold that I will probably keep to myself.

CJSF

I'm interested in this kind of experiments too!

IMO your analysis is right: far too many people keep swapping boxes without having a clue what the real problem is, while their issues might be overcome by shifting their speakers around or moving their listening seat one or two feet! And you know what's funny? Many don't even want to hear about this kind of solutions!

As for 'minimal interest from the forum': the thing is that the writer doesn't know who reads his posts. A lack of replies doesn't always equal a lack of interest!

Please, keep writing! It's so much more interesting than the next 'Zensor1 or LS50 for my Rega Brio?' thread...

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all, encouraging replies . . .

The outcome of my recent personal activity has moved my interest towards 'doing my own thing' and enjoying my music for its own sake. One is now more relaxed than I used to be, I dont care any more . . . That statement is with the greatest respect to those who have expressed or do have interest . . . but it aint many?

'Keep writing'? . . . my interests have allways been based on working out the 'whys and wherefores' to get the 'best bang for the buck'. Curently working on extracting competition gliding performance out of 3.6 meter R/C high performance full control glider (full control: same control fuctions as the full size equivilent) that includes working on pilot and glider abilities.

So, I'm always mentaly active, one is getting a little old phisicaly but there seems little point in passing information on if no one reacts to it.

Had a great day on the flying field today, we spent almost 3 hours passing on information and technic, on cometition days in the summer we are head to head competitors. This sort of comeradery and discussion does not seem to exist any more on the site?

So in hifi terms, I am now looking to how far I can take the sound quality of my Croft, coupled with room treament, no I have not forgotten the posts I made about full range, transmission line Jordan speakers. Actualy a logical progression in the future, room treated with panels, 'you have to hear it to believe it' . . . then move to a fully regulated Croft Hybrid amplifier with balls to drive almost any load . . . so they say.

But how many will be interested or could be bothered to try, at least the the no cost, experimental bodged room treatment . . . Most will continue puting the blame for their disatisfaction with sound quality at the feet of box A or box B . . . ?

Back to the side lines, with Leanard Cohen's 'Old Ideas' wafting gently from my speakers, its Holicks hour.

CJSF and Hazel

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
The way that this site now presents itself on the web is horrible, can it not be changed back to look like the lovely site that it was before ?

Even the print is horrible.

The whole lay-out is to be totally frank about it............. is minging !

Without getting carried away, the whole site looks amaturish to be honest and most unlike as to before, the old style was a welcoming style.

I have no axe to grind as such, just giving some honest input. The site before was a JOY to visit anmd so very easy to navigate, this set up as of now, not so.

Please turn back to the way that it was before..... it was real nice and up to date too, this look is not, this looks 'old and out-dated', this look is NOT nice, full stop..... so much so that anyone even stumbling upon it would simply leave, it IS that bad.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
CJSF, I wouldn't feel too badly, plenty of my posts get ignored

It's a tough one. I'd say there are actually many more people than you suspect who enjoy your posts, but they may not post in your thread or a direct response. I often enjoy posts, but won't post a response. Makes it hard I suppose when you don't get any replies validating your efforts and it might not feel worthwhile.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
+1

The new site has cetainly reduced my visits here.

With members leaving in droves, are What Hi Fi too proud or too stupid to realise what the problem is. For me the whole layout hurts my eyes, so my future visits will be fleeting at best........

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
Sadly, one feels that the forum in general does not think the way of 'fine tuning what one has', (unless its cables of course*dash1*) just throw money at it and change the box . . . depresses me to the point of not being bothered to post, few will understand, get on and do my own thing?

As others have said, people are interested but they may not have anything of real relevance to contribute; or someone else may have already said the same as they would have said. [Is that clear, probably not????]

The simple act of moving around your listening space, to ensure that your 'listening position' is the best the room is capable of, is possibly the easiest and best added value thing [tweak] we can do. My original and preferred listening position had to be altered when I moved from 9Ts to 40s, bass hole, but a few inches on the speakers and a foot or so on the sofa made all the difference. I can't imagine people not experimenting with speaker position and just buying stuff to sort a room issue. Room treatment might be too far for me, but then I've never needed proper room treatment AFAIK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts