Where have all the HiFi members gone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
Like who?
Like you, Chebby and PP said in a email he was having a break! Just wondering what's been going on? Cno too, ProfessorHat.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Well, I'm still here, just not finding many threads of interest, I don't read TV threads because I'm not buying a TV at the moment and I don't have anything to add to them. I'll comment on Sonos, simply because it's something I know about. Other than that it's only if I find something particularly amusing that I'll get involved but that hasn't really changed for some time.

I don't recall seeing the Professor for some time to be honest. Don't know about the other three.

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
Well, I'm still here, just not finding many threads of interest, I don't read TV threads because I'm not buying a TV at the moment and I don't have anything to add to them. I'll comment on Sonos, simply because it's something I know about. Other than that it's only if I find something particularly amusing that I'll get involved but that hasn't really changed for some time.

I don't recall seeing the Professor for some time to be honest. Don't know about the other three.
Good to see you again. *smile*

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
It's probably the new website, hacked many people off, just to respond to this has taken me 5 mins to log on, keeps saying log in, then I put password in it acts as if incorrect password, almost give up when I find I'm in. Really on an iPad its too much trouble.

D

Deleted member 2457

BigH said:
It's probably the new website, hacked many people off, just to respond to this has taken me 5 mins to log on, keeps saying log in, then I put password in it acts as if incorrect password, almost give up when I find I'm in. Really on an iPad its too much trouble.
Yeah, I get that too, I just keep logged in all the time! *smile*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gel *bye*

I'm still here lurking about, though taking more of a back seat (as I start to feel a bit better)....also, a lot of interesting people whose input I enjoyed, seem to have melted away.

I have no interest in controversial threads anymore and will be very selective in the ones that I will get involved with....ie. where I think I can genuinely help.

D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
Hi Gel *bye*

I'm still here lurking about, though taking more of a back seat (as I start to feel a bit better)....also, a lot of interesting people whose input I enjoyed, seem to have melted away.

I have no interest in controversial threads anymore and will be very selective in the ones that I will get involved with....ie. where I think I can genuinely help.
Hi mate, I thought you had gone missing a while. Yep, the forum seems a bit quiet all around. Don't be a stranger. *smile*

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gel said:
BigH said:

Well on the ipad it nevers stays logged in, always have to sign in each day, no problems on the Windows PC.

D

Deleted member 2457

BigH said:
gel said:
BigH said:

Well on the ipad it nevers stays logged in, always have to sign in each day, no problems on the Windows PC.
My iPad stays logged in. I've got the iPad 2.

D

Deleted member 2457

john1000000boy said:
*dash1*.....
Mine is a bit like that, but since I've updated to the latest firmware update it's much better.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
maybe because i just typed out a large reply on another thread and its gone up in smoke. forgot that copying posts before pressing save was kinda necessary now.

D

Deleted member 2457

bluebrazil said:
maybe because i just typed out a large reply on another thread and its gone up in smoke. forgot that copying posts before pressing save was kinda necessary now.
Very annoying!

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
I think the new site is part of the problem (but probably not the main issue). I've seen threads like this several times on different HiFi forums, and IMO the main reason members drop off is simply boredom.

There usually comes a time when you get tired of reading/participating in the same old quarrels/discussions. We all have our own opinions on what HiFi is, how much to spend, what is a ripoff/snakeoil etc etc etc... So members interest tend to decrease eventually... Some come back, others join new sites, some find new hobbies... I suspect the frustrating site change just helped push some persons out a little earlier (but they were probably fairly bored with HiFi discussions before the site change).

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
has become a joke! It's almost impossble to post without triggering the spam filter. I'm not a die hard regular in terms of posting but I enjoy reading other peoples contibutions. Almost at the point of giving up, shouldn't be this hard. What Hi-fi need to seriously pull their finger out, it's embarrassing.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The "upgrade" has definitely had an effect. Some posters have given up altogether (DocG is sadly missed for his knowledge and sense of humour) and others are posting less frequently. I’m not a member of long standing: only 18 months. So I don’t count myself as one of the old guard. But I do think it’s sad when the old guard drift away, as seems to be happening lately.

Ajani may also be right. There's a natural wastage through boredom on forums like this. I’ve found the forum less interesting recently, just because I enjoy hearing people talk about the kind of exotic kit I’m interested in, and that doesn’t seem to be happening much.

Most of the recent traffic has consisted of requests for recommendations of budget kit. Nothing wrong with that, and I’d like to think these posters will stick around and continue the hi-fi adventure, whether they get into second-hand gear or active speakers or explore other paths through the hi-fi jungle. But I get the feeling most of the traffic is transient: people are picking up their recommendations and not coming back. A bit like the magazine really.

*sad*

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
And some have probably been scared off or too scared to join in for fear of being ridiculed or pounced upon for saying something vaguely non scientific.

With regards to freezing, I get that occasionally, and originally thought it was this site, but it sometimes happens on AVF too, but AVF has a regular auto save so you don't lose your post if it freezes.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
First-time posters do often say something like "this is my first post; please be gentle". But I get the impression this is more due to a fear of seeming ignorant or naive about hifi in general and not from any lack of scientific knowledge. In fact most first-time poster ex get a warm welcome, as indeed they should.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
At first, my main problem would be the classification of the discussions. That are mostely vague. It's difficult to find informations when you are under the hifi section. Only "partition" is the turntable and headphone section. It's too few. Loudspeaker, Subwoofer, Integrated amps, Power amps, Pre-amps, Dac, Cd-Player, cable voodoo would be improvements for making the forum more easy to look through.

Another main problem is the low level of the what-hifi reviews and awards, that really start to annoy me. Everybody with experience will start to be at unease or completely pissed off (depend of character type). So why should I post on the forum of a magazine that is publishing bad reviews and helping him to win some moeny ? Yes... you understand.

But the fact the magazine/portal is from bad level although bring non experienced members to this forum, that will be problematic for having discussions on evolved theme.

Another problem, closely linked to this, is that a lot of persons come here for taking some informations and then ran the f@ck away. They don't care about this community. Again, this is clearly due to the audience What Hi-Fi want to capture. In promoting products of discutable quality just for publicty reasons that are, for some parts, not made in respect of the human dignity ; you are attracting a new public that will share the same values and will not care about the dignity of the other forum members or the forum itself.

I, for myself, found good level discussion and experienced members on gearslutz, the german hifi-forum or on the french audiofanzine portal. I just come here sometimes to check and, secretely, hope that the "review" section, will be opened someday for public reviews.

TRENDING THREADS