Where do I go from here? Any suggestions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks, in the last month I've decided to replace my hifi seperates on the basis that stuff on the market today must be better than my old kit? The plan is to spend £250 on each component over the course of the next 6 months or so.

I've started by replacing my speakers with Monitor Audio BX2 and swaping a Marantz PM6004 for a Denon PM255UK. I was slightly disappointed there wasn't a big difference between the Denon PM255UK and the Marantz but I haven't given it a sporting chance.

Next I could change the CD = Marantz 273SE (1989) or buy a DAC or a network streamer or new turntable (I have >160g on a NAS, a fair number of CD and loads of old albums) but just not sure what if anything is going to make a big difference (if possible at that price).

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
£250 new doesn't sound like much, most of your £ will go in marketing, transport, box, dealer profit etc. Maybe 2nd hand, £250 would get you a real jump-up from what you have.

matthewpiano

It depends what you want to get out of it really. I think that CD player is really too long in the tooth to get the best out of a DAC, so if CD replay is key a Marantz CD6004 would do the trick nicely. There really is very little to touch it under £500 and it is a perfect partner for your PM6004 and BX2s. I think you'd then start to hear the improvement you might expect in your amp and speakers.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Recently I bought the CD6004 player. The sound is amazing for the money. I had the CD6002 in the past which I liked a lot but this new version is a big improvement.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the responses - much appreciated. If I were to try the second hand market are there any products you're recommend?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts