Where are the Ladies?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
davedotco said:
If anyone is interested.

Various parts of the brain have evolved differently in men and women. For fairly obvious reasons the parts that deal with 'bread winning', competition or getting things done in a practical sense are more developed in men, wheras those parts that deal with 'family', co-operation and other social issues are more highly developed in women.

In terms of education, men tend to gravitate towards practical and technical subjects, women towards the broad grouping of 'humanities'. In a mixed environment, such as a NHS hospital, most of the top surgeons are men and most of the top administrators in HR are women.

This is not hypothetical by the way, it is the view of top clinical psychologists who have used modern scanning techniques to scan brain activity in men and women.

To put it very bluntly, men are more technically inclined, ie interested in things, women more socially inclined, interested in people.

Interesting. For what it’s worth, my female HiFi enthusiast friends seem to be more able to discern a component change than some of my male enthusiast mates. They also seem to prefer valves (even though none of them have a Valve Amp). One of them has a Sugden amp, so I guess that’s close....

In all my years in the business I can barely recall selling any proper system to a woman, plenty of couples where the there was interest and involvement from the women, but the whole thing was clearly driven by the man.

Mrs DDC is not remotely interested in hi-fi, not that interested in recorded music really.

But she does like a bit of live music, opera in a roman ampitheatre in the open air, Muse live at the O2, Jazz at the Fox in Twickenham, she loves it all.

Proud moment when I was running a previous forum, and someone posted up that they had a particular pair of speakers and were looking to buy a particular amplifier (I forget specifics), but the girlfriend messaged me (she sometimes read the forum) and said, “is that amplifier going to drive those speakers properly?”. She knew even if the poster didn’t.

She’s not into hi-fi per se, but she cares what the music is played on.

Dealt with quite a few women over the years - there are women out there interested in hi-fi, they’re just few and far between in relation to the number of men.

D

Deleted member 160668

Of all the women I know the only one who takes an interest is my mother...

She’s always very interested to see/hear my latest box swapping adventures. Particularly when I swap speakers - she near on dribbled when I played her my old PMCs

She also has her own hifi and definitely gives it healthy ‘exercise’.

How many ladies in late 60’s rock it out LOUD to trance music etc!! Lol.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I wish my wife had the same interest as me I do talk her about hifi but she’s not really technically minded but my 7year old daughter which she seems to like daddy’s music and likes it when I put the hifi on so hopefully she will grow up a headbanger like her dad well hopefully not but like hifi and music.

its already helped my daughter with her ballet as she’s really good at it and I was talking about music timing like fast and slow as with ballet you have to listen to the music while dancing and know when the slow part come and the quick part of the song so I am giving her a education in some respect

Tonestar1

My Ex loved my hifi. When we broke up and she bought her own place she purchased a marantz source, amp as well as a set of B&w speakers as she wanted a comparable sound. I gave her some old speaker cable and some speaker stands to help her on her way.

My next couple of partners also loved good hifi but not sure they went to the same lengths as the first. My current mate for life cant be bothered with it in any shape or form. But we have other things we have in common so it's not a big issue. That and we we have two rooms, one for shitty tv and one where i can listen to music,

D

Deleted member 2457

DougK said:
Does Drummerman count?? *biggrin*
Lol.
teeth_smile.png

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
do you think it can be looked at from another angle - I was on the tube the other week and I was looking around at what headphones people were wearing.

Most people seemed to have earbuds in but with a good few people wearing sizeable overheads.

What stood out, opposite me was 2 women of differing generation - they could have been Mother and Daughter even though I am pretty sure they wasnt.

Both had sizeable overheads on - Bose or similar.

It made me think they have chosen those headphones with a sound quality first mentality - because they didnt look nice, no bling to them - function over form and thats 2 women of 2 generations appreciating sound quality

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
do you think it can be looked at from another angle - I was on the tube the other week and I was looking around at what headphones people were wearing.

Most people seemed to have earbuds in but with a good few people wearing sizeable overheads.

What stood out, opposite me was 2 women of differing generation - they could have been Mother and Daughter even though I am pretty sure they wasnt.

It made me think they have chosen those headphones with a sound quality first mentality - because they didnt look nice, no bling to them - function over form and thats 2 women of 2 generations appreciating sound quality
Probably got them off QVC.

ellisdj said:
It's possible that they don't get on with in-ear headphones, as it is quite a common complaint from customers over the years.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
davidf said:
ellisdj said:
It's possible that they don't get on with in-ear headphones, as it is quite a common complaint from customers over the years.

Totally David yes - the ones they were wearing were sizeable, there are much more quant over heads around if they wanted to be more discrete and still not wear in ears - I hate in ears generally.

I think they were Bose, guessing noise cancelling - guessing I didnt ask them :) - why would someone buy fairly big Bose headphones - made me think its sound quality first or at least as a high priority. - could be wrong of course

D

Deleted member 108165

Bose = lifestyle product. Apple = same thing *smile*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It's ironic that our wives/partners have better hearing than we do...but don't give a stuff about Hifi. Ironic, really.
they don’t it simply doesn’t interest them

I was trying to talk to my wife last night about changing back to tidal as my free 3 months trial is up with iTunes and I said the reasons for me wanting to go back to tidal even though I am not keen on £20 a month and she just said what’s the matter with I tunes then isn’t the same as the other site I said no it’s better quality sound O ‘ ok then it all sounds the same to me and that was the end of the conversation .

if I said I am going to order Dali epicon 6s ...... wait for the reply....... no your not what’s the matter with the ones your got by then I’ve dug my self a big hole and covered my self up but it’s worth a try .

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

I was trying to talk to my wife last night about changing back to tidal as my free 3 months trial is up with iTunes and I said the reasons for me wanting to go back to tidal even though I am not keen on £20 a month and she just said what’s the matter with I tunes then isn’t the same as the other site I said no it’s better quality sound O ‘ ok then it all sounds the same to me and that was the end of the conversation .

if I said I am going to order Dali epicon 6s ...... wait for the reply....... no your not what’s the matter with the ones your got by then I’ve dug my self a big hole and covered my self up but it’s worth a try .

Agreed...but it's the irony that amused me.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Agreed...but it's the irony that amused me.
what’s she’s right ? She probably is right that’s the trouble

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
what’s she’s right ? She probably is right that’s the trouble

No....it's that they have better hearing, but we are the ones into Hifi. It's a waste of good hearing. *biggrin*

jjbomber

ellisdj said:

There was a young lady on the tube last night next to me wearing Marshall headphones.

TRENDING THREADS