Where are the Ladies?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
It’s difficult to glean much info about the Forumites on here, but it seems almost everyone is a bloke.

Why is this? I have several female friends who are HiFi enthusiasts, but I rarely see any ladies on here.

It’s a shame because women seem to talk sense or at least see things from a different perspective. It would certainly add some life!

(Apologies to the ladies if you’re out there).

daveh75

Infiniteloop said:
I have several female friends who are HiFi enthusiasts, but I rarely see any ladies on here.

It’s a shame because women seem to talk sense or at least see things from a different perspective.

So how many of these enthusiast lady friends of yours string their kit together with boutique cables?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Infiniteloop said:
I have several female friends who are HiFi enthusiasts, but I rarely see any ladies on here.

It’s a shame because women seem to talk sense or at least see things from a different perspective.

So how many of these enthusiast lady friends of yours string their kit together with boutique cables?

Well. That didn’t take long to turn into a cable bashing thread.

daveh75

Infiniteloop said:
daveh75 said:
Infiniteloop said:

I'm genuinely curious...

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Infiniteloop said:
daveh75 said:
Infiniteloop said:

I'm genuinely curious...

They don’t use rubbish but they don’t go mad either. They seem to recognise a balance between quality and price.

insider9

Infiniteloop said:
insider9 said:
Infiniteloop said:
It’s a shame because women seem to talk sense or at least... that's what they want you to believe

Fixed it for you ;)

Maybe that’s why there aren’t any on here. 
I wish they were here too. Out of recent Kegworth enthusiast show there I've noticed about 5 ladies all day. One of them was room sitting and very knowledgeable. We had a nice chat. But none of it was regarding women and hifi but hifi in general. Not sure if the other ladies were accompanying men, had men accompanying them or what the circumstances were.

My wife's interest in hifi is mainly to do with how much it all cost.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Few years back I booked a weekend away in Manchester at the Renaissance Hotel as an anniversary treat. Unbeknown to my lovely wife she didn't know the What Hi Fi Show was there at the same time (I did!). Anyway she really enjoyed it and our Neat Iota's came shortly afterwards. She loves them, mainly as they are good unobtrusive lookers but she actually really appreciates the sound.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Infiniteloop said:
insider9 said:
Infiniteloop said:
It’s a shame because women seem to talk sense or at least... that's what they want you to believe
Fixed it for you ;)

Maybe that’s why there aren’t any on here.
I wish they were here too. Out of recent Kegworth enthusiast show there I've noticed about 5 ladies all day. One of them was room sitting and very knowledgeable. We had a nice chat. But none of it was regarding women and hifi but hifi in general. Not sure if the other ladies were accompanying men, had men accompanying them or what the circumstances were.

My wife's interest in hifi is mainly to do with how much it all cost.

I suppose I’m lucky in that regard. Mrs Loop’s interest is horses. Trust me, she never asks how much I spend in case I reciprocate......

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
Out of recent Kegworth enthusiast show there I've noticed about 5 ladies all day.

it was the same when I went to Scalford a few years back. Only one had an interest that I was aware of (she asked me what I thought of the room we’d both just left), the others looked like they were there because their husbands were there.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
If anyone is interested.

Various parts of the brain have evolved differently in men and women. For fairly obvious reasons the parts that deal with 'bread winning', competition or getting things done in a practical sense are more developed in men, wheras those parts that deal with 'family', co-operation and other social issues are more highly developed in women.

In terms of education, men tend to gravitate towards practical and technical subjects, women towards the broad grouping of 'humanities'. In a mixed environment, such as a NHS hospital, most of the top surgeons are men and most of the top administrators in HR are women.

This is not hypothetical by the way, it is the view of top clinical psychologists who have used modern scanning techniques to scan brain activity in men and women.

To put it very bluntly, men are more technically inclined, ie interested in things, women more socially inclined, interested in people.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I wish my wife was interested in hifi and I do not no any woman Who like hifi but I do try and get my wife involved but kind of goes out of one ear and out the other .

How do you react when she wishes to gossip about the neighbours or people at work? Serious question.

If a group of two or three couples go to the pub, by the time the second round is due the men are in one corner chatting about their cars or hi-fi and the women are in the other gossiping about what people at workare getting up to. It's just the way it is.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well I dragged my dear lady friend around the Bristol show last year and when I asked her if she wanted to go again this year she said yes to my surprise, and she informed me that she enjoyed it more this time around as she new what to expect and wasn't so overwhelmed by it all and could focus more on the music. I had to pay both times mind you! If she wants to go again next year I hope the tickets will be on her :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
I wish my wife was interested in hifi and I do not no any woman Who like hifi but I do try and get my wife involved but kind of goes out of one ear and out the other .

How do you react when she wishes to gossip about the neighbours or people at work? Serious question.

If a group of two or three couples go to the pub, by the time the second round is due the men are in one corner chatting about their cars or hi-fi and the women are in the other gossiping about what people at workare getting up to. It's just the way it is.
Yes very true its the same i am not intrested thats why i am on here all the time *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

MiniGill and Clare Newsome are still members, so that’s two ladies.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
If anyone is interested.

Various parts of the brain have evolved differently in men and women. For fairly obvious reasons the parts that deal with 'bread winning', competition or getting things done in a practical sense are more developed in men, wheras those parts that deal with 'family', co-operation and other social issues are more highly developed in women.

In terms of education, men tend to gravitate towards practical and technical subjects, women towards the broad grouping of 'humanities'. In a mixed environment, such as a NHS hospital, most of the top surgeons are men and most of the top administrators in HR are women.

This is not hypothetical by the way, it is the view of top clinical psychologists who have used modern scanning techniques to scan brain activity in men and women.

To put it very bluntly, men are more technically inclined, ie interested in things, women more socially inclined, interested in people.

Interesting. For what it’s worth, my female HiFi enthusiast friends seem to be more able to discern a component change than some of my male enthusiast mates. They also seem to prefer valves (even though none of them have a Valve Amp). One of them has a Sugden amp, so I guess that’s close....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts