whats your fave piece of equipment in the hifi chain

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I noticed the other day whilst looking on the bay that I always seem to be searching for amplifiers and decided that its always my first thought when lookin for a new system. Whether its a fully loaded classic from the 70s or 80s or a more stripped down version from the 90s to the present its definitely my fave component in the hifi chain................whats yours ?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Probably my speakers. Been dissatisfied with various sets of speakers for a while, finally got a pair that I'm fully content with and which I suspect could happily withstand an amp-upgrade without being outclassed. In fact when you consider their designer uses amps costing four figure sums, they can withstand probably several amp upgrades before becoming the weakest link.

Other honourable mentions for kit which isn't currently part of the main set-up goes to my Nakamichi DR1 and Thorens TD160, family-owned since new.

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
My Arcam Alpha 9 CDP which has had some major modifications to it - sounds very nice! - Also have a modified Alpha 9 amp.

Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything but I'v read through some of the older forum posts in an atempt to shortlist some new speakers which I almost have enough money to get now (£1000 budget). So far Monitor Audio look firm favs for an audition given the reported synergy between Arcam and MA but which ones to look at? Any other suggestions would be helpful (I know....listen, listen, listen)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
If this is an abstract question, then speakers, without a doubt.

There's so much variety in format and presentation, and there's also more riding on speakers than on any other part of the chain (perhaps unless you're a vinyl person).

So, yes, speakers are just more interesting.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Definitely the Amp.......or maybe the Speakers........no it's the DS.........on second thoughts, it's definitely, probably the Amp. :? :doh: :help:

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Love my M6I in fact the only part of my hifi that may be in line for a change is the caspian and thats down to if you put a cd case on to it with music playing it causes the music to skip when I say put I mean lay 75% drop the other 25% if you know what I mean I could drop a cd case onto my old Marantz 17 ki sig and the music would play on no probs

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Speakers generally but unless your source is good all you will get is a good presentation of poor material. I'm not really into the modern preoccupation with amplifiers! They should neither add nor subtract from the signal, just make it bigger. IMO what is written or said about amplifiers nowadays fulfills Sturgeon's Revelation.

Chris

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Got to be speakers, then amps then source, unless we are talking vinyl for which all bets are off.

Nah, speakers are the Daddy.

audioaddict said:
I noticed the other day whilst looking on the bay that I always seem to be searching for amplifiers and decided that its always my first thought when lookin for a new system. Whether its a fully loaded classic from the 70s or 80s or a more stripped down version from the 90s to the present its definitely my fave component in the hifi chain................whats yours ?

The Leema and RS6s was a pretty significant upgrade, but the Leema and PMCs is on another plain. The Naim CDP has made a difference, over the Arcam CD73, with poor recordings, but the gorgeous TB2is and Pulse is sensational.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Good Question.

For me it's mostly been Integrated Amplifiers. I go through them like crazy. I own seven right now. To my ears amplifiers change the sound more than a source does. I think loudspeakers change the sound more than anything in the chain but I still don't change them nearly as often as I do with amplifiers. I usually find a pair of speakers that I like and stick with them for a while.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
actually as many have said on here i do love my cm1s but yeah right up there on my list would be a sexy pair of speakers, probably more so a really gorgeous pair of standmounts than floors . I also have a thing for the big 70s analogue tuners too.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I think it has to be my EMC1UP Cd player because I have had it the longest time (about eleven years ) and it is still the best source of music I have ever heard of any type or format and by a large margin , I will probably take it to my grave .

But then my new EC4.8 pre amp has been a revelation over the last few weeks and has been the biggest upgrade for a long time ,and as for my new AW180 monoblocks they have allowed me to hear so much more of what the EMC1UP and the EC4.8 can do .

Then there is my PMC PB1i's that can reproduce music in a way that seems so close to real live music, and without them the rest would be useless !

I dont think I should choose one favorite piece of equipment because it all works together as a whole , but I guess if you were to hold a gun to my head it would be my EMC1UP Cd player :)

iMark

I would probably say my speakers. I bought them in 2000 and they still are best audio equipment I have ever bought. They are Infinity Overture 1's and I bought them when a shop in Amsterdam had them on sale. Brand new they were incredibly expensive. I also bought the matching stands when they were still on the market. They had a bad reputation for switching of at low volume levels, but I have never experienced any problems. I suppose I bought the pair when the problem with the electronic switch had been solved.

When I auditioned them in the shop, I couldn't believe how much better they sounded than any other speakers. They are a design you never see anymore. Each speaker has got a powered 150W subwoofer.

One thing I have noticed is the fact that because of the powered subwoofers, they are really easy on amps. They sounded great with our previous Denon DRA-1000. Now they sound great with our new Yamaha R-S500.

I don't think they were ever on sale in the UK. They are an American design and there are hundreds of American reviews that also rave about them.

Here's a picture of them.

InfinityOverture1front.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts