What's the most important upgrade in my system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
What's the point in living if you can't spend large amounts of cash on things you love. But I know what you mean.

I suppose that's true. I'm just a natural skinflint.

Back to the Totems. Don't worry about them only getting 4 stars, but that was a long time ago. As they are the only model IIRC from that period still in production - that speaks volumes. And no doubt they have been tweaked over the last decade.

They don't just image well, they are fantastically cohesive and wonderful detail. I wouldn't recommend them if you have a large slobbering dog or young children as they can be pushed over quite easily, hence why I didn't buy them. My daughter at the time was young and whizzing around and the thought of her knocking over the speakers filled me with dread.

Dom

I don't have any children to worry about. But the Totems sound wonderful, cohesive and detailed.
The Emit M30's has a sound that I admire, some sounds come through incredibly well. On a another level. Anyway it will be me that knocks them over with my schizoaffective disorder which means I have an awesome life. Not saying you don't a wonderful life PP.

Last edited:
I suppose that's true. I'm just a natural skinflint.

Back to the Totems. Don't worry about them only getting 4 stars, but that was a long time ago. As they are the only model IIRC from that period still in production - that speaks volumes. And no doubt they have been tweaked over the last decade.

They don't just image well, they are fantastically cohesive and wonderful detail. I wouldn't recommend them if you have a large slobbering dog or young children as they can be pushed over quite easily, hence why I didn't buy them. My daughter at the time was young and whizzing around and the thought of her knocking over the speakers filled me with dread.
I'd agree about the Arro, they now come with a plinth stabilizer which is a little wider and makes them a bit more stable.
Third part bar-type stabilizers may also be available, they are for my speakers.

Reactions: plastic penguin
I don't have any children to worry about. But the Totems sound wonderful, cohesive and detailed.
The Emit M30's has a sound that I admire, some sounds come through incredibly well. On a another level. Anyway it will be me that knocks them over with my schizoaffective disorder which means I have an awesome life. Not saying you don't a wonderful life PP.

I seem to remember John Duncan of this Parish years ago heard a Rega MIRA3 (IIRC) with 5k speakers, and he said it was a revelation. I'll stand corrected if I've got this wrong.
The speakers I would short list for your amp:

Dali Opticon 8
Totem Arros (obv)
Newer Monitor Audio Silver or Gold.

If you don't mind large standmouted monitors, Harbeth C7 are well worth a listen.

I seem to remember John Duncan of this Parish years ago heard a Rega MIRA3 (IIRC) with 5k speakers, and he said it was a revelation. I'll stand corrected if I've got this wrong.
The speakers I would short list for your amp:

Dali Opticon 8
Totem Arros (obv)
Newer Monitor Audio Silver or Gold.

If you don't mind large standmouted monitors, Harbeth C7 are well worth a listen.
An interesting list to which I would add the Acoustic Energy AE509

Reactions: plastic penguin

Dom

The Emit M30's sounds utterly fantastic with the Sub 3 for me. I'm getting into the mid-range, and a sound that goes deep (23Hz), and the Roksan K2 amplifier is simply amazing for them.
I could sell them for sure, but I don't think it's worth the investment right now, with all things considered, such as my budget, room, amplifier and PC (The PC is an excellent way to listen, watch and play). I have to think realistically. Rubbish in, rubbish out as some have said. Having incredibly transparent speakers means a competent streamer and possibly better amplifier. So 4 to 6K for the upgrade.
Maybe in 10 years time, eh.
Thanks for you comments though, it's worth talking about I think.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I’d concentrate on the amps but forget the idea source is that importwnt. Mostly all are good nowadays, especially digital domain. Eg Bluesound node as good as Auralic Aries g1. Id suggest considering reducing box size of floor standing speakers as a way of reducing cost, then max budget on best speakers and amps for money.

I don’t go along with the idea with amps being as important as qualitative nature of speakers. They are important for sure, but because most amps are very good, it’s more of a case of improving and getting the best from the speakers and for that diminishing returns comes in. So you can run really good speakers off quite modest amps and still get tremendous sound.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Okay. If it was me I would forget a conditioner. No idea what speakers you have but I would definitely demo Totem Arros.

I actually demod the K2 with the Leema Pulse, and obviously preferred the latter.

IMO the Totem Arros are fantastic speakers for anything below £2k. They image like no other unless you spend silly money.

I just feel the flagship Dyns you mentioned will be an overkill.

Been recommending Totems for years on here yet everyone seems to avoid the. Make the effort to demo a pair with your amp and then you can say either I'm a plank or a marvel.

Tonally the Totems will match great with the Roksan. And they won't won't drain your bank account.

tend to be hard to drive. Ive tried hawks, forrests and kin play and the kin plays were a bit bright. But the better speakers are a still not the package of pmc’s with integration and bass dynamics. The new twenty5i range is a speaker I’ve just tried and it’s incredible.

tend to be hard to drive. Ive tried hawks, forrests and kin play and the kin plays were a bit bright. But the better speakers are a still not the package of pmc’s with integration and bass dynamics. The new twenty5i range is a speaker I’ve just tried and it’s incredible.

Well, the K2 is 130 watts per channel. My Pulse is 80 and that had no issues driving Totem Arros.

Sorry, Dom, that's just sales people talking a load of tosh. I would quite happily use a Leema Tucana with the flagship Dyns. Or perhaps a Accuphase or Luxman, which are all below 8k figure they mentioned.
I'd agree, any amplifier with a high current delivery should be sufficient as they aren't exactly the most difficult of speakers to drive, they certainly aren't Apogee Scintillas..... :)
I'm pretty sure my Rotel could do it.

Reactions: rainsoothe

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
On the plus side they are a three way design. My concern with the dynaudios, is they look like they have a passive radiator. Not always, but quite often, when you put them on speakers they aren’t as dynamic with bass as single bass driver speakers. They aren’t under the control of a higher damping factor amp, attached to the voice coil. But whatever I’ve always found single driver speakers are tighter. I’d be checking out the competition on that personally but each to own. The comments of the dealer would suggest same. Or it may be just them ‘katching-ing’

I was thinking of checking these out to compare against the pmc twenty5 23i I just tried, as in same price bracket. But I doubt they beat the pmc’s, for me.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Audio T thinks the Dyn's Evoke 30 are a lot easier to drive. They know what there talking about. However, what they said seems wrong to me.

More likely, they are probably just trying to get a sale If they know you are set on them. Are a 4 ohm speaker. I wouldn’t place too much significance on just that. Loads besides. Go what sound good to you with amps you have or might upgrade too.

Yeah, but they know my budget. I want to spend no more than a 1K on some sort of upgrade. Maybe a Roksan K3 amplifier, 2nd hand.

Hi Dom. I'm confused. First off you were willing to spend 5k on the Dynaudio Evoke speakers or perhaps £800-odd pounds on a mains conditioner.

Now you don't want to spend no more than 1k on a replacement amp. So are you looking for something better or different? IMHO there won't be a lot of difference between your K2 and the K3.

If you are willing to 'up' your budget I would keep your speakers and go for this amp. It'll blow away any Roksan Kandy and Caspian, and you won't feel the need to upgrade for an awful long time. Then save your pennies and buy the Evokes.

For £1800 I reckon you'll secure this beauty. It is one cracking amp. I know because I owned one. And it'll tonally match the Dyns of any budget well.

This is not a sideways step but one heck of an upgrade. And it comes with a 14 days returns policy.

It's a win win... option.

Clickety

Last edited:
Reactions: jonathanRD

Dom

Yeah, I got attracted to some Evoke 50's at (Only) £2700 on eBay and started dreaming. The reality is, I need that money for other things.
Ok, lets get to the meat... Looks like one cracking amplifier. A real beauty. But £1800 is still a lot. I'm not rich. But what is money for exactly ? I could get one. Or not. I don't know. I have 6 months to decide.

Last edited:

TrevC

Hi Dom. I'm confused. First off you were willing to spend 5k on the Dynaudio Evoke speakers or perhaps £800-odd pounds on a mains conditioner.

Now you don't want to spend no more than 1k on a replacement amp. So are you looking for something better or different? IMHO there won't be a lot of difference between your K2 and the K3.

If you are willing to 'up' your budget I would keep your speakers and go for this amp. It'll blow away any Roksan Kandy and Caspian, and you won't feel the need to upgrade for an awful long time. Then save your pennies and buy the Evokes.

For £1800 I reckon you'll secure this beauty. It is one cracking amp. I know because I owned one. And it'll tonally match the Dyns of any budget well.

This is not a sideways step but one heck of an upgrade. And it comes with a 14 days returns policy.

It's a win win... option.

Clickety
You are swapping out one perfectly good amplifier for one that's a few dbs more powerful, but it isn't going to change the sound much.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts