Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2 - Is it the best way to upgrade my desktops sound?

Trippysounds

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I am searching for a way to improve the sound going from my computer to my Yamaha A-500 amp and B&W CM1 speakers.

I've read alot about the Dragonfly USB dac, it seems good for my purpose.

When i search for desktop dac i keep on getting topics & reviews about all kinds of dac's but people mention the word headphone an awfull lot of times. I am looking to upgrade the sound from the computer to my speakers and headphone performance is not important to me.

Is the Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2 still my best option? (At this pricerange)

(Note that i am looking to upgrade the sound for my desktop so portability is NOT a factor here )

Ts

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I think the dragonfly is made specifically for headphones, so the output is only through the headphone amp. I think ideally I'd want something with a fixed level output like the rPac or ODAC

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac/

Green Bow

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
If your PC has an S/PDIF out you can take that into an optical in on an amp if you have it. E.g. My PC has an S/PDIF header on the board so I need the adaptor.

Or you can run from the headphone out. It leaves your system open to accident. One day you might have the amp volume high but the PC and subsequetly the DAC volume low. Then you accidentally push up the PC vol and pop your speaker drivers.

The Meridian Explorer has a line out/digital out, and the Microstreamer had line out. They both offer the headphone option too which is good for gaming. Or go mad and get the NAD 1050 and be done with it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts