Question Best DAC for MP3 Audio

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bigrobmac

Jul 26, 2024
Visit site
Thank you all for your responses.

I think I have settled on either the iFi Uno or iFi Zen DAC V2. Does anyone know how they compare? Is it worth paying more for the Zen?

camcroft

Thank you all for your responses.

I think I have settled on either the iFi Uno or iFi Zen DAC V2. Does anyone know how they compare? Is it worth paying more for the Zen?
Use this headphone calculator. I have tested your headphones with the calculator and in unbalanced / balanced mode they are not suitable with the Zen Dac V2. Likewise with the Uno

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and DougK1

Gray

Use this headphone calculator. I have tested your headphones with the calculator and in unbalanced / balanced mode they are not suitable with the Zen Dac V2. Likewise with the Uno
That calculator makes you realise how many brands there are, let alone models.
Someone had their work cut out entering all the details.

ifi themselves list 41 models of amp!
I knew they made a few, but I would have said half as many, or fewer models.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1 and camcroft

camcroft

That calculator makes you realise how many brands there are, let alone models.
Someone had their work cut out entering all the details.

ifi themselves list 41 models of amp!
I knew they made a few, but I would have said half as many, or fewer models.
As in your answer in . I think that was wise advice maybe his best option.

Reactions: Gray

bigrobmac

Jul 26, 2024
Visit site
Thank you for this. It's interesting, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I've played around and tried other iFi products and they all seem to give a similar result. It also only talks about decibels, which isn't the only factor; I'm still pretty convinced that an Uno or Zen V2 would provide an improved soundstage.

I'm not striving for perfection here, just an affordable improvement. A DragonFly Red would do that, so it's definitely possible. I think one of the iFis would be a better choice as I don't need the portability.

It's probably worth mentioning that I realised before I bought them that the Elegias are probably a higher spec than I need now, but part of the idea there was future-proofing. I may get other equipment in the future but I'm not planning on buying any more headphones.

Reactions: camcroft

camcroft

Thank you for this. It's interesting, but I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I've played around and tried other iFi products and they all seem to give a similar result. It also only talks about decibels, which isn't the only factor; I'm still pretty convinced that an Uno or Zen V2 would provide an improved soundstage.

I'm not striving for perfection here, just an affordable improvement. A DragonFly Red would do that, so it's definitely possible. I think one of the iFis would be a better choice as I don't need the portability.

It's probably worth mentioning that I realised before I bought them that the Elegias are probably a higher spec than I need now, but part of the idea there was future-proofing. I may get other equipment in the future but I'm not planning on buying any more headphones.
If you are happy with the notion that the iFi will improve the soundstage then if I were you I would go for one of them. At the end of the day you are the one to make the final decision the advice given is just that. I have the Zen Dac V2 and I am happy with it but I use mine for desktop use and it is compatible with all of my headphones . I don't use my headphones with any other piece of equipment.

Last edited:

bigrobmac

Jul 26, 2024
Visit site
Of course, the proof will be in the pudding. I *think* one of the iFis will improve the soundstage. Am I right? Has anyone tried both a DragonFly and an iFi, even if they're not exactly the same ones? Has anyone tried both an Uno and a Zen V2, even with different headphones? Should I get something else entirely?

Jasonovich

I am looking for advice from people who listen extensively to bootleg recordings and music in lossy formats.

I have a library of MP3 files, which I have spent years collecting and curating exactly as I want them to be. These are in MP3 format and I have no interest in either changing them to another format or using a streaming subscription service. However, I want them to sound as good as possible.

My current setup is laptop > DragonFly Black DAC > Focal Elegia. The headphones are easy to drive and I am happy with them, but I am considering changing the DAC for an iFi Uno or Zen DAC V2. I do not have a big budget.

How does the Uno compare with the DragonFly Black (or Red, for that matter)? Is it worth paying more for the Zen V2, or would that only really be worth it if I used high-res files?

Many thanks in advance.
SMSL SU1 is all you need for your MP3 collection of music 😊

Jasonovich

That does look like a very good DAC... but I would need a separate amp, and I can't plug my headphones into it.
Yes that's true. I have just the thing :)

TempoTec M3 - headphone outputs and bluetooth connectivity but check with supplier if it is compatible with lossless MP3, it's PCM, it should work but check first.

1724606740687.png

View: https://youtu.be/veB3ItCi-Mg?si=ixNmppfG2gNqVqbi

Not sure, if this has already been mentioned in the thread but there's also DAC Fiio K11 R2R, not sure how much it costs or how it compares to TempoTec M3, worth investigating.

View: https://youtu.be/rP6AYRqpbBw?si=Eto4DT5XzgVRt9dD

Last edited:

Gray

That does look like a very good DAC...
It is, I've tried it.
That into a Topping A50S would give you a good sound - for around £270-£290 total?
I own an A50S.
However, having tried Topping's A90D model, I can assure you that would really allow you to appreciate what your headphones can do. - with decent recordings (considerably more expensive, so maybe an eventual upgrade idea, since you're sticking with your headphones (y)).

Depending on the spec of the amp you decide on, the balanced option is worth considering. but I wouldn't pay too much for a balanced cable.
I believe Focal use just standard 3.5mm jack plugs (albeit with slimmer barrels maybe) at the earcup ends of the cable.
That makes DIY construction of a high quality balanced cable cheap and relatively easy if you've got a soldering iron - especially if you fit an XLR, rather than Pentacon connector at the amp end of the cable.

bigrobmac

Jul 26, 2024
Visit site
It is, I've tried it.
That into a Topping A50S would give you a good sound - for around £270-£290 total?
I own an A50S.
However, having tried Topping's A90D model, I can assure you that would really allow you to appreciate what your headphones can do. - with decent recordings (considerably more expensive, so maybe an eventual upgrade idea, since you're sticking with your headphones (y)).

Depending on the spec of the amp you decide on, the balanced option is worth considering. but I wouldn't pay too much for a balanced cable.
I believe Focal use just standard 3.5mm jack plugs (albeit with slimmer barrels maybe) at the earcup ends of the cable.
That makes DIY construction of a high quality balanced cable cheap and relatively easy if you've got a soldering iron - especially if you fit an XLR, rather than Pentacon connector at the amp end of the cable.
Thank you for these tips. I shall save them for future reference, as it is the kind of thing I may one day move to.

For now though, it's a bit more than I am looking for - both in terms of the physical space it would take up and the cost. I would like a single DAC with built-in amp (which I should have specified earlier), just to put between the laptop and the headphones.

bigrobmac

Jul 26, 2024
Visit site

TempoTec M3 - headphone outputs and bluetooth connectivity but check with supplier if it is compatible with lossless MP3, it's PCM, it should work but check first.

View attachment 7305

Not sure, if this has already been mentioned in the thread but there's also DAC Fiio K11 R2R, not sure how much it costs or how it compares to TempoTec M3, worth investigating.

These are interesting alternatives, thank you.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site

View attachment 7305

It's only Saturday where I am, so I am behind; but, what is lossless MP3?? Copilot queries have not succeeded.

Reactions: Al ears

Vincent Kars

Lossless MP3
Perhaps stating the obvious, DAC's don't play WAV, FLAC, AAC, MP3 or any other computer audio format.
It is the media player that calls the appropriate decoder to convert these formats to Linear PCM.
The LPCM is packed in a protocol e.g. SPDIF or UAC1, UAC2 depending on the connection between DAC and PC. Modern USB receivers using UAC2 have two modes. PCM of course and RAW. The latter is used to send DSD to the DAC.

If the DAC has a Bluetooth receiver, the audio is compressed by the sender using the codec negotiated between sender and sink. The Bluetooth receiver inside the DAC decodes this LPCM.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Whilst MP3 is never lossless, a good DAC may do a surprisingly good job with it, as does my Pathos.
Pathos, granted; but Satire is now more evident in your posts here --I suppose mostly for the enjoyment of other "Well-known members", looking down your nose or noses, at MP3, naivete, etc..

I hope it's only time that the OP wastes here. Post #3, well-liked, was the sufficient contribution.

TRENDING THREADS