Question What would be the best floor standers for Rotel A12?

Mark1

Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
Looking at getting a pair of floor standers to match my A12, quoted 60watts per channel at 8 ohms, managed to get myself completely confused, looking at the monitor audio silver 300’s ?

Mark1

Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
Many models will be electrically suitable Mark. But only you can say what sounds best.
What especially do you find confusing?
Thanks Gary, it’s matching power output 8 ohms vs 4ohms and a lot of the floor standers seem to suggest a minimum of 80watts or am I interpreting that wrongly? Wanted to get two or three suggestions and then have a listen.

Reactions: Gray
Thanks Gary, it’s matching power output 8 ohms vs 4ohms and a lot of the floor standers seem to suggest a minimum of 80watts or am I interpreting that wrongly? Wanted to get two or three suggestions and then have a listen.
How big is your room? If it is suitable for the Silver 300's then the Dali Oberon 7 might be worth a look....
60wpc should sufficient for most reasonably efficient floorstanders.
Which manufacturers can you actually get to audition?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Mark1

Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
How big is your room? If it is suitable for the Silver 300's then the Dali Oberon 7 might be worth a look....
60wpc should sufficient for most reasonably efficient floorstanders.
Which manufacturers can you actually get to audition?
Approximately 4x8 meter, so I don’t need to worry too much about wattage? Currently running diamond 9.1s

Approximately 4x8 meter, so I don’t need to worry too much about wattage? Currently running diamond 9.1s
Not unless you get something stupidly inefficient, or really do listen at concert level volume all the time. The Dalis I mentioned quote a power range of 30-180 for the amplifier.
others will be similar.
Do you have a budget in mind?

Gray

.....a lot of the floor standers seem to suggest a minimum of 80watts or am I interpreting that wrongly?
No you're not. But by setting 80W as a minimum, they're effectively just advising the avoidance of underpowered amps.
Best to take quoted power handling figures as rough guidelines only.
You'll notice that MA quote 8 ohm 'nominal' impedance, for example.
That's because impedance is not static when the music hits - there will be times when your impedance dips - possibly even to half or less.
During those times, your amp will actually be giving more than the 60Watts - probably considerably more on peaks.

Mark1

Oct 31, 2021
Visit site
Thanks both, think I got my replies mixed up, I can get to hear the silvers and possibly the wharfdale evo 4.4, not thought about the Dali’s. Budget is a max of £1200 but will the quality start to outshine the amp? The diamond 9.1 seem to cope with my current listening volumes just lacking a bit bass

As above but for that size room I would look at floorstanders like the Wharfedale Diamond 12.3 or Dali Oberon 5 if you want to save a bit of money and will be better than the 9.1s
If you can audition the Evo 4.4 or 4.3 then do so.

rainsoothe

Hi. If you still wanna give standmounts a chance, check out Quad S2. They go pretty low and sound wonderful. Wharfedale Linton might also be a good fit, if you can place them far enough from walls.

For floorstanders, if you don't mind sh, I'd try to find a pair of Spendor A5R or Sonus Faber toy tower.

Reactions: Mark1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts