Floor Standers up to £1000

Witterings

I'm looking for some recommendations for floor standers up to £1000 although if there wasn't much difference between £500/600 would rather keep it there if possible, if there was a big jump up would definitely pay the extra.

The room's 26' deep by 14' wide, the amp a Denon AVR 2311 and whilst I'd love to have a seperate amp for stereo it won't happen in the near future but maybe down the road and at some stage I'd try and match the floorstanders with a centre.
I'm much rather speakers that are better for stereo at the expense of better for suuround.

I did look at Monitor Audio Silver 200's but overall there are virtually no reviews on them and if I stick best floorstanding speakers into a search engine, they hardly come up at all so wonder if maybe they weren't "their best".

Any suggestions of others I should look at much appreciated.

Are you prepared to consider 2nd hand? I'd give it some serious thought, as I would guess the amp is going to be on a par with a stereo amp in the £3-400-ish range. You'd be struggling to find an amp at that price that would do justice to good £1k floorstanders, so maybe buying 2nd hand would offset that to some extent?

The Dali would be my first choice based on the appearance and the show audition I enjoyed. But possibly even better value, and more forgiving of electronics are the QA3050i. They’re tall and unusually deep, so check with a tape measure. A warmer sound than Dali, which you may or may not prefer.

Both are widely available and often sold open-box or ex-demo, or returnable if you can’t audition before deciding. Richer Sounds and Peter Tyson are large retailers who are worth checking out.

D

Deleted member 160668

In your position I would definitely buy second hand. You will get far superior speakers for the money. I'd also spend your top budget as you will hear the difference.

There are lots of possibilities here. The main thing is buy them in excellent "loved like a baby" condition as they are then very easy to onward sell at no loss if/when you decide to upgrade again.

eBay sold listings filter is your friend here for already sold items value. Make sure you don't overpay.

Be prepared to collect in person, even if this means a decent drive. It is surprising some of the deals that can be had for relative peanuts (compared to new RRP) when buying speakers.

Reactions: Witterings
D

Deleted member 195594

Second the Q Acoustics, but if you can stretch a little further budget-wise, the Concept 40's at £679 from the same retailer are good value. At 90db/8ohms, not too shabby:

I think they retailed for just over £1k when they were current in QA's offerings

I'm using a pair of these myself; I love them, in my system/room. Maybe worth considering.

Reactions: nopiano

Witterings

Are you prepared to consider 2nd hand? I'd give it some serious thought, as I would guess the amp is going to be on a par with a stereo amp in the £3-400-ish range. You'd be struggling to find an amp at that price that would do justice to good £1k floorstanders, so maybe buying 2nd hand would offset that to some extent?

Yes definitely consider 2nd hand .... any ideas what I should loook at?

£579 looks like a bargain if you like the colour. 30 day returns.

This was what made me mention the Monitor Audios but there's so little information / reviews available on them, if you google best floor standers they don't get a mention at all.

I'll take a look at the Dalis and the Triangles as well.

Second the Q Acoustics, but if you can stretch a little further budget-wise, the Concept 40's at £679 from the same retailer are good value. At 90db/8ohms, not too shabby:

I think they retailed for just over £1k when they were current in QA's offerings

I'm using a pair of these myself; I love them, in my system/room. Maybe worth considering.
Another excellent choice, that I almost included. Bargain at current price!

I'm looking for some recommendations for floor standers up to £1000 although if there wasn't much difference between £500/600 would rather keep it there if possible, if there was a big jump up would definitely pay the extra.

The room's 26' deep by 14' wide, the amp a Denon AVR 2311 and whilst I'd love to have a seperate amp for stereo it won't happen in the near future but maybe down the road and at some stage I'd try and match the floorstanders with a centre.
I'm much rather speakers that are better for stereo at the expense of better for suuround.

I did look at Monitor Audio Silver 200's but overall there are virtually no reviews on them and if I stick best floorstanding speakers into a search engine, they hardly come up at all so wonder if maybe they weren't "their best".

If going used route, PMC GB1i are easy to drive (90db & 8 ohms), compact and tonally should match pretty much any amp or receiver. They are stunning.

Zakhele

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site

Monitor Audio Silver 300 6G Walnut on eBay ( PETERTYSON )
Selling NEW for £729-99

Click on this link below :

Monitor Audio Silver 300 Floor Standing Speakers - Walnut | eBay

D

Deleted member 160668

If going used route, PMC GB1i are easy to drive (90db & 8 ohms), compact and tonally should match pretty much any amp or receiver. They are stunning.
Go newer than these if going PMC. You can pick up twenty 23's for your top £1k budget. I'd suggest spending a couple hundred extra and picking up 24's as they have bigger drivers.

Din5

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
Monitor Audio Silver 300 6G Walnut on eBay ( PETERTYSON )
Selling NEW for £729-99

Click on this link below :

Monitor Audio Silver 300 Floor Standing Speakers - Walnut | eBay
Now I recon those are a bargain ( I think the list price was circa £1200 ?) ... Having heard the SIlver 200, I bet the 300 sound excellent. If I had the space for another set of speakers, I would probably snap them up. There are some great reviews on the web.
Monitor Audio Silver 300 Review - The Absolute Sound

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts