Floor Standers up to £1000

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Witterings

All the replies have got my head spinning more than before I posted :D but some seriously good suggestions (some I hadn't even considered) so thank you to everyone!

Had a look at the PMC's, they all have the front port at the bottom and I have a low armchair not far in front of where one of the speakers goes.
The current ones the woofer / tweeter are above the top of the arm so whilst not ideal I can't help but think a port firing straight onto the bottom of a chair may not be the best.

Still trawling through reviews etc. but think have narrowed it down to the

Q Acoustic Concept 40's
Acoustic Energy AE309's
Monitor Audio Silver 300's

Last edited:
All the replies have got my head spinning more than before I posted :D but some seriously good suggestions (some I hadn't even considered) so thank you to everyone!

Had a look at the PMC's, they all have the fromt port at the and I have a low armchair not far in front of where one of the speakers goes.
The current ones the woofer / tweeter are above the top of the arm so whilst not ideal I can't help but think a port firing straight onto the bottom of a chair may not be the best.

Still trawling through reviews etc. but think have narrowed it down to the

Q Acoustic Concept 40's
Acoustic Energy AE309's
Monitor Audio Silver 300's
How close is the chair to the speaker? And do you sit in the chair while playing music? If it's that close you're never going to hear what your system will do, regardless of where the port is.

Any chance of seeing a photo of chair/speaker?

treesey

Go newer than these if going PMC. You can pick up twenty 23's for your top £1k budget. I'd suggest spending a couple hundred extra and picking up 24's as they have bigger drivers.

I love a thread with budget-creep :D

Dear Witterings, as I know where you live, and have a spare pair of PMC GB1i lying around, you are welcome to borrow them at the same time as organising a home demo of some of the other above speakers with which to compare? I imagine they are similar tonally to the later twenty series?

Witterings

I love a thread with budget-creep :D

Dear Witterings, as I know where you live, and have a spare pair of PMC GB1i lying around, you are welcome to borrow them at the same time as organising a home demo of some of the other above speakers with which to compare? I imagine they are similar tonally to the later twenty series?

Whereabouts are you ... and yes if I could I'd so apperciated it!

Are you a retailer as you mention home demo of some of the others??

Witterings

How close is the chair to the speaker? And do you sit in the chair while playing music? If it's that close you're never going to hear what your system will do, regardless of where the port is.

Any chance of seeing a photo of chair/speaker?

Don't know what's going wrong with me trying to reply to things, I thought I'd done this earlier so a copy and paste of what I thought I'd already posted

Have attached a pic but the chairs’ never really used, just there to make up the set / a guest might sit in it occasionally and if I was really having a music evening it’s easily moved out the way.

Attachments

• Speak.jpg
    Speak.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 17

Witterings

Good gravy no I am not! :O

I suggest you get a home demo from a retailer, and we can arrange you to borrow my GB1i pair at the same time. I am in West Sussex, near Pulborough.

Ahhhh ... OK :LOL: ... I misunderstood that :) ..... if I could at some stage I'd really appreciate it.

I'm struggling a litte with transport at the moment as my car has an impossible to find eletrical issue but if I can borrow "The Boss's" car are you around daytimes or just evenings / weekends?

Just as a bye the bye, are you looking to sell them?

Don't know what's going wrong with me trying to reply to things, I thought I'd done this earlier so a copy and paste of what I thought I'd already posted

Have attached a pic but the chairs’ never really used, just there to make up the set / a guest might sit in it occasionally and if I was really having a music evening it’s easily moved out the way.
The rest of the 24' room you can't pull the chair further away from the speaker? Unless you do you'll struggle regardless of whether they are front, rear or underneath ported.

Still have the same configuration, we sit around 9 feet from the speakers.

Attachments

• Leema Pulse.JPG
    Leema Pulse.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 19

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site

£579 looks like a bargain if you like the colour. 30 day returns.

I have heard these and they are very nice. At one stage I did consider buying them (Pricey at the time)
But at under £600.... a bargain

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS