What volume do you like to listen too?

barcpc

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I usually hear it at low volumes, around a quarter of the amplifier capability.

But when I need an extra "push" or the song is one of my favorites I pump up the volume to half, and sometimes a bit more.

Never made it to 3/4 of the amplifier (Cambridge Audio CXA 61 + Monitor Audio Silver 200 7G)

Reactions: camcroft

DCarmi

I usually hear it at low volumes, around a quarter of the amplifier capability.
About the same here with my PM6006. I find the amp a bit weedy a low volume which is why I am thinking of something like the Rega Elex as a potential replacement.

If there is no-one in the house and the neighbour is out, I might twist the volume control a little further. ;)

WayneKerr

Obviously those stating volume dial movement as an indication of amplifier output level and capacity should bear in mind that volume pots are very different across manufacturers.

In the case of the PM6*** series it's all over by just over halfway unless you have attenuators fitted, maybe Cambridge is the same.

Reactions: Gray

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
When the wife is home, I listen exclusively on my headphones. The volume dial is on 2:30 but if I'm feeling adventurous, it's 3:15.
When the wife is not home, the Adam active monitors accompanied by it's partner in crime the Focal Sub One woofer, is blasting.
These are near field monitors, so I don't need to be too far away from my desk.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Perceived volume is relative, I've been working at home all day today and background level noise in my home is about 30 dB's so 60-65dB's will sound more than loud enough a little later 70 dB's will probably appear to be the same level as my ears adapt to a louder environment.

Dom

In terms of headphone use, there's one volume any louder and its deafening which is quite quiet. My speakers on the other hand can vary in volume between quiet to moderate loud no problem.

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I have the luxury of a back bedroom and semi detached bungalow with a neighbour who's out when I'm in most days.
I've always liked music loud and only appreciate rock at an "uncomfortable to some" level.
The volumes I prefer have always reflected on the system I have at the time.
I'm constantly edging the volume up the longer I listen especially with things like the lumineers "stubborn love" etc and don't get me started with classical.
I'm not deaf nor at 40 seem to of damaged my hearing despite many yrs as a DJ combined.
But like most decent ppl it all goes back to a low level when my neighbour is in or my partner is around.

Paradoxically I can't stand the TV on loud, I'm constantly lowering it untill I can just make out what's said.
I hate loud sfx at the pictures infact I walked out of "the creater" movie not long ago as I found it that unpleasing.

podknocker

I live in a flat so can't have my tunes too loud. I tend to use music to relax and have my online radio chillout tunes at low level, but still loud enough to hear and appreciate the production etc. Having music too loud is really annoying for me, that's why I never went clubbing, or frequented pubs banging out nasty nonsense. I watch films and TV on my PC screen and it sounds OK, but no bass obviously. If a load of money turned up, I would have a new system in a place miles from anyone, but I don't think I'd have it loud, just enough to be enjoyable. If you're into thrash metal or similar, you'd probably want it loud,, but that's not my cup of tea at all.

matthewpianist

I opt for moderate volume levels overall, with the exact setting varying with the music I'm listening to. I listen to quite a lot of music with a wide dynamic range, and so sometimes I set the volume level high enough that I can hear the quietest passages without bursting my eardrums in the climaxes. Thankfully my system isn't at all harsh but maintains good levels of detail, and its tonally far more accurate than it has any right to be, so listening is a good experience.

TRENDING THREADS