What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 188 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Apologies to BBB, but I've been on the Jim Steinman again. This time it's the album that nobody knows, but they'll know all the songs...

Pandora's Box - Original Sin

Pretty much every song has since been covered by everyone from Meatloaf and Bonnie Tyler to Celine Dion and Dave Navarro, via Brian May and John 5. The original is the best. I do love music where the kitchen sink was the first thing thrown in!!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Marvindodgers said:
Apologies to BBB, but I've been on the Jim Steinman again.

No need to apologise at all, just take the record to the shed, and smash the f*ck out of it with a hammer, then all will be forgiven.

I'm joking of course, well maybe. ;)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
The last few days, selections from:

Submarine Bells - The Chills

Sue - Frazier Chorus

Landing On Water - Neil Young

Van Occupanther - Midlake

On The Road - The Smiths

The Frenz Experiment - The Fall

Blood & Chocolate - Elvis Costello/The Attractions

DSOTM - The Flaming Lips & Friends

Farewell Andromeda - John Denver

Circuital - My Morning Jacket

Making Movies - Dire Straits

Infidels - Bob Dylan

Ignore The Ignorant - The Cribs

We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank - Modest Mouse

Chutes Too Narrow - The Shins

Wincing The Night Away - The Shins

Death Of A Ladies Man - Leonard Cohen

Requia - John Fahey

A Distant Shore - Tracey Thorn

East Side Story - Squeeze

Hallelujah (Club Mix) - The Happy Mondays

Tzutzu

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
00377d3a87ce.jpg

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I saw that Charlie had played 'A Distant Shore' by Tracey Thorn so I was inspired to play:

Marine Girls-Lazy Ways.

Benn Watt-North Marine Drive.

Two great records.

+

Jerry Garcia-Reflections.

Blossom Toes-We Are Eve So Clean.

The Smiths-The Queen Is Dead.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
I saw that Charlie had played 'A Distant Shore' by Tracey Thorn so I was inspired to play:

Marine Girls-Lazy Ways.

Benn Watt-North Marine Drive.

Two great records.

+

Jerry Garcia-Reflections.

Blossom Toes-We Are Eve So Clean.

The Smiths-The Queen Is Dead.

Lazy Ways and A Distant Shore are two of my wife's favourite LPs. It was Mrs.CJ who really got me into Tracey Thorn in all her glory. A great discography from her early days, as above, up to the present day.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Talking Heads - Fear of Music

Talking Heads - The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads

Beck - Morning Phase

Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow

Neneh Cherry - Blank Project

Wild Beasts - Present Tense

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Talking Heads - Fear of Music

Talking Heads - The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads

Beck - Morning Phase

Bombay Bicycle Club - So Long, See You Tomorrow

Neneh Cherry - Blank Project

Wild Beasts - Present Tense

Jimbo, what do you think to 'Morning Phase'? Is it a good Beck lp?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Jimbo. I'll get a copy as a matter of urgency then.

Grant Lee Buffalo-Fuzzy

Grant Lee Buffalo-Mighty Joe Moon.

What a great band.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:

Grant Lee Buffalo-Fuzzy

What a great band.

Hi Jim,

I agree with you about GLB. I've loved those two albums (on CD) for twenty years. A slight preference for Mighty Joe Moon, I have to say. Great songs abound.

Last nigtt we (me, wife, daughter) all got drunk-ish and listened to:

Lazy Ways - Marine Girls

Greatest Hits - Abba

Parade - Prince

Intro - Pulp

Bona Drag - Moz

The Red Shoes - Kate Bush

Monday morning. Teaching (that's an approximate description) with a hangover.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I too love GLB, have both thse albums and Copperopolis on cd. Saw them at Forum Kentish town, great gig. Have just found out MOV are rereleasing Fuzzy this month, will be placing an order.

As regards the love Tracey Thorn, I can thoroughly recommend her book Bedsit Disco queen which is now out in paperback.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
I too love GLB, have both thse albums and Copperopolis on cd. Saw them at Forum Kentish town, great gig. Have just found out MOV are rereleasing Fuzzy this month, will be placing an order.

As regards the love Tracey Thorn, I can thoroughly recommend her book Bedsit Disco queen which is now out in paperback.

Thanks for the MOV tip off, Jimbo. I hope they re-issue MJM too.

The Tracey Thorn book is on my to-buy/to-read list. It sounds really good.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:

Grant Lee Buffalo-Fuzzy

What a great band.

Hi Jim,

I agree with you about GLB. I've loved those two albums (on CD) for twenty years. A slight preference for Mighty Joe Moon, I have to say. Great songs abound.

Last nigtt we (me, wife, daughter) all got drunk-ish and listened to:

Lazy Ways - Marine Girls

Greatest Hits - Abba

Parade - Prince

Intro - Pulp

Bona Drag - Moz

The Red Shoes - Kate Bush

Monday morning. Teaching (that's an approximate description) with a hangover.

Hi Charlie

Had a feeling you might be a Grant Lee Buffalo fan and, at the risk of appearing sycophantic, I prefer 'Mighty Joe Moon' too. Having said, I played 'Fuzzy' again this morning and I think it has improved with age, by which I really mean who is producing stuff of this quality today? Not many. Guitars, vocals and inspired song-writing. Yes, Jimbo, 'Copperopolis' is a great record too.

God, I love 'Lazy Ways' -shambolic and beautiful.

Feel for you, Charlie; I feel for anybody teaching today: the whole system is a mess and will implode in the not too distant future. The school that I used to teach at has just lost its academy sponsor, having been rescued from closure 2 years ago. God knows what will happen; I feel sorry for teachers, parents and students. In my last year I taught 6 GCSE's: 2 different English, 2 different Lit,+ Media Studies and Drama; this was repeated for Year 10's. The school was laying people off and we all had to do more. It took over my whole life. Did I teach with a hangover? Yes, on a regular basis. Just glad I got out although I wish I could find 'a little job' but they seem few and far between. Thank God for music.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Yes, the teaching profession is certainly a testing environment these days. Pun and adjective intended regarding "testing".

It's increasingly hoop-jumping at every turn. I teach a full timetable of Drama & Theatre, so I've enjoyed, up until very recently, exemptions from the ridiculous circus of attainment levels, target grades, sub-levels. But not any more. Co-inciding with our conversion to academy status everything has been focused purely on exams, tests, attainment. Even us liberal-inclined/"wishy-washy" arts teachers have been drilled in the ways of a hard learning curriculum. Luckily, our Head tries to cut us (that's Music & Drama) some slack. He's very favourable towards the performing arts - for most of the right reasons. However, he can't reverse the Gove-tide, only try to lessen it's anti-arts impact.

Your timetable of six exam classes sounds like a nightmare of stress. And spread across three subject areas must have only added to the exhaustion. Non-teachers reading this: please don't trot out a Daily Mail rant about all the holidays we get!!!! Thanks.

Despite all that I actually still love the job - hangovers and all. Or rather I love the teaching of drama and theatre to mostly receptive kids. I really enjoy the shows. Next one is the week after next.

It's the petty politics in school, the idiocy of most of our senior leaders and the national framework I can't quite deal with.

As you and Abba both observed: thank you for the music.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
It's the petty politics in school, the idiocy of most of our senior leaders and the national framework I can't quite deal with.

As you and Abba both observed: thank you for the music.

Yep, Charlie, spot on. Petty politics, Depts thinking they're the bees' knees, people bigging themselves up, unfair budgets etc. My Drama budget for the whole school,11-16, was cut in my last year from £300 to £298! Media Studies was £300 too. I told other Drama HoD's and they were staggered. That's how the Arts were valued; Music got the same, but Art got more because the HOD was a Deputy Head too! I loved teaching kids and miss it very much but I sure don't miss much else.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts