What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 187 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Hi Charlie. Oh, it's easily worth it for Morrissey's voice-he is brilliant throughout.

Pat Metheny is a difficult one; I really fo feel it's his tone which kind of blands everything out but, with the exception of a few inc Grant Green, Django,Bill Frisell and Ralph Towner (a very sensitive player) I'm not really a fan of guitar taking a lead role in jazz. A bit like you, I've got a few Metheny records but most sort of pass me by: the best I have is 'Bright Size Life' but that may be largely due to the presence of Jaco Pastorius. 'Watercolour Days' with Eberhard Weber on bass is also good. I guess I like sonorous bass players!

Keith Jarrett. Well. I mean, that's huge because it's a huge catalogue. I'll make a few recommendations though which you could then investigate further, ie use Google!

Solo piano-The Bremen Lausanne Concerts (ECM) are sublime, beautiful, exciting, spiritual, rollicking and very much like Koln. I think they may be even better and I certainly prefer them. You know what to expect if you have The Koln Concert.: long lyrical passages and some bluesy, r and b vamps. 3 lp box set may be difficult to track down; I've got one and the cd version: the cd's sound fine. Also. 'Facing You.' his 1971 ECM debut is lovely. 'Staircase' (ECM) double lp is introspective and lyrical. 'The Paris Concert' is a good live solo piano record.

American Quartet: The Survivor's' Suite(ECM) This features Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian and is beautifully played. Redman is an inventive, soulful and mercurial tenor player and Haden's bass is, well, similar. Also, 'Death And The Flower' and 'Byablue' are excellent. The conversations between Jarrett and Haden are often emotionally overwhelming on these records. Beautiful stuff. Then there's this; the most beautiful sax solo in the history of recorded jazz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVk-h5cdy8o

The European Quartet: 'My Song' (ECM) with Jan Garbarek. Lovely tunes and top-class musicianship of course. 'Belonging' is also excellent. 'Personal Mountains' is a great live performance.

Highly regarded are also the reords he made with his Standards trio, playing ahem jazz standards. Can't comment, I haven't got any.

There's a load more: classical and symphonic stuff but I couldn't keep up with it. I think this earlier stuff is his most vital.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your informed insights into Keith Jarret's back-cat. There's some very appetising players and titles in your post. I'll investigate accordingly. Your mention of his symphonic music also piqued my interest.

Google, Spotify and onwards.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Hi Charlie. Oh, it's easily worth it for Morrissey's voice-he is brilliant throughout.

Pat Metheny is a difficult one; I really fo feel it's his tone which kind of blands everything out but, with the exception of a few inc Grant Green, Django,Bill Frisell and Ralph Towner (a very sensitive player) I'm not really a fan of guitar taking a lead role in jazz. A bit like you, I've got a few Metheny records but most sort of pass me by: the best I have is 'Bright Size Life' but that may be largely due to the presence of Jaco Pastorius. 'Watercolour Days' with Eberhard Weber on bass is also good. I guess I like sonorous bass players!

Keith Jarrett. Well. I mean, that's huge because it's a huge catalogue. I'll make a few recommendations though which you could then investigate further, ie use Google!

Solo piano-The Bremen Lausanne Concerts (ECM) are sublime, beautiful, exciting, spiritual, rollicking and very much like Koln. I think they may be even better and I certainly prefer them. You know what to expect if you have The Koln Concert.: long lyrical passages and some bluesy, r and b vamps. 3 lp box set may be difficult to track down; I've got one and the cd version: the cd's sound fine. Also. 'Facing You.' his 1971 ECM debut is lovely. 'Staircase' (ECM) double lp is introspective and lyrical. 'The Paris Concert' is a good live solo piano record.

American Quartet: The Survivor's' Suite(ECM) This features Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian and is beautifully played. Redman is an inventive, soulful and mercurial tenor player and Haden's bass is, well, similar. Also, 'Death And The Flower' and 'Byablue' are excellent. The conversations between Jarrett and Haden are often emotionally overwhelming on these records. Beautiful stuff. Then there's this; the most beautiful sax solo in the history of recorded jazz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVk-h5cdy8o

The European Quartet: 'My Song' (ECM) with Jan Garbarek. Lovely tunes and top-class musicianship of course. 'Belonging' is also excellent. 'Personal Mountains' is a great live performance.

Highly regarded are also the reords he made with his Standards trio, playing ahem jazz standards. Can't comment, I haven't got any.

There's a load more: classical and symphonic stuff but I couldn't keep up with it. I think this earlier stuff is his most vital.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your informed insights into Keith Jarret's back-cat. There's some very appetising players and titles in your post. I'll investigate accordingly. Your mention of his symphonic music also piqued my interest.

Google, Spotify and onwards.

Ok try 'The Celestial Hawk' for that kind of thing. One of my faves.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Thanks Jim, a-searching as I write.

This evening's LPs:

Sign Of The Times - Prince

Pink Moon - Nick Drake

Farewell Andromeda - John Denver

When I glanced at this I thought you were playing 'Andromeda' by Andromeda. It's a record from 1969, heavy rock. I bought it as a kid, hated it and never played it. When I moved house or flats or whatever it was I put it in a dustbin. It fetches £500+ these days! I've got a few of these horror stories.

Pink Moon...30 minutes of perfection. It couldn't be any longer.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
Thanks Jim, a-searching as I write.

This evening's LPs:

Sign Of The Times - Prince

Pink Moon - Nick Drake

Farewell Andromeda - John Denver

When I glanced at this I thought you were playing 'Andromeda' by Andromeda. It's a record from 1969, heavy rock. I bought it as a kid, hated it and never played it. When I moved house or flats or whatever it was I put it in a dustbin. It fetches £500+ these days! I've got a few of these horror stories.

Pink Moon...30 minutes of perfection. It couldn't be any longer.

I know of the Andromeda LP you mention. It's cropped up in Record Collector lists, I believe. I wonder if your binman took advantage.

I can't quite match that vinyl squandering but I once sold an orignal copy of Sandinista (with all the inserts et al) to fund a post-graduate night out. Ridiculous and one of only a few LPs I've knowingly relinquished. Every time I play my replacement copy I wince a little.

Yep, Pink Moon is half an hour of transcendence.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I finally succumbed to temptation last night and plugged the phono stage into my AV amp (Roksan still being repaired) and played Fleetwood Mac Tango In The Night and was not impressed, dug the CD out, played a few tracks and decided it sounded better. Then played vinyl of Lynyrd Skynyrd first album and that sounded OK. I must have a poor vinyl copy of Tango In The Night.

This morning at 9.00 currently playing Barclay James Harvest Once Again and it sounds very good.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
Lost Angeles said:
This morning at 9.00 currently playing Barclay James Harvest Once Again and it sounds very good.

Nice album :) You heard 'And Other Short Stories' ?
Yes, Everyone is Everybody Else is probably my favourite. I have about 6 of their albums on vinyl and the rest on MP3.

Currently spinning side 2 of Breakfast in America and I'm off for a swim after this now on the last track.

And she gave me Coca Cola cos she said it tasted good

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
i think i maybe should invest in some Clash LP's, something with Rock the Casbah on ??? Jimbob???

Rock The Casbah is on Combat Rock, their last proper album and a good one.

My two faves are The Clash (their first album) and London Calling (their iconic one).

Never had any myself on vinyl as borrowed from friends and brother when I was younger, so bought the vinyl box set last year, if you have the money can thoroughly recommend it, all albums save for Cut The Crap, their last one after Mick Jones left.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
jimbofisher said:
The Clash - Give 'em Enough Rope

The Jam - Sound Effects

The Jam - The Gift

Portishead - Dummy

i think i maybe should invest in some Clash LP's, something with Rock the Casbah on ??? Jimbob???

Picked this up on Discogs for very little, and it's a corking album.

clashclash.jpg

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
Cocteau Twins - Garlands

What do you think of Garlands? I really like it, but it's quite different to later Cocteau Twins stuff isn't it.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BBB. The first clash album is really good, rocks the system nicely.

I like the Cocteau Twins early stuff, more homemade than their later stuff. Though Heaven or Las Vegas is one of my fave albums.

Patti Smith - Horses

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
On The Road - The Smiths

Thanks Jim for the recommendation. It's stunning. Great set list, good sound for a boot, and most of all, Moz and the band on wonderful form.

I saw them two or three times around this time, TQID tour. It really brings back many memories. It definitely trumps Rank.

So far, my highlights are Please, Please, Please, Is It Really So Strange and There Is A Light. Majestic, melancholic, Mancunian.

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
From the sounds of it I got to get myself a copy Of The Smiths- On The road.

Got all there stuff on vinyl especially all the 12 inch singles., which by the way sound fantastic.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
On The Road - The Smiths

Thanks Jim for the recommendation. It's stunning. Great set list, good sound for a boot, and most of all, Moz and the band on wonderful form.

I saw them two or three times around this time, TQID tour. It really brings back many memories. It definitely trumps Rank.

So far, my highlights are Please, Please, Please, Is It Really So Strange and There Is A Light. Majestic, melancholic, Mancunian.

Hurray! You've got it. Yes, I think it's a good sound for a boot; I remember the 70's boots which were often dreadful but so were our record players! I think it sounds pretty damn good too. Yes, far more alive than 'Rank.' 'There Is A light' is beautiful. I'm so glad that you're happy with it. I think it improves with a few plays, like most good things.

Tonight:

Keith Jarrett-'Death And The Flower' Probably my favourite Keith Jarrett.

Jefferson Airplane-'Crown Of Creation.'

Traffic-'John Barleycorn Must Die.'

Traffic-'Low Spark.'

TRENDING THREADS