What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 186 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

h4rdy said:
Listening to Stone Roses Second Coming which IMHO is superior to Stone Roses.

It's not though, is it?

Stone Roses is an overrated album, but still great, but I can't get all the way through Second Coming. There's some good tracks on it, but it's a bit samey.

The Roses obviously don't really care for it, as they hardly played a track from it at Heaton Park and Finsbury Park.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
h4rdy said:
Ordered Lorde and Stadium Arcadium.

Listening to Lou Donaldson and Stone Roses Second Coming which IMHO is superior to Stone Roses.

Waiting for the backlash.

Why? Lorde is a simply fantastic produced album, SQ is superb - this is how all vinyl should it sounds excellent and puts a shiver down my spine

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
h4rdy said:
Ordered Lorde and Stadium Arcadium.

Listening to Lou Donaldson and Stone Roses Second Coming which IMHO is superior to Stone Roses.

Waiting for the backlash.

Why? Lorde is a simply fantastic produced album, SQ is superb - this is how all vinyl should it sounds excellent and puts a shiver down my spine

I think he meant about the Stone Roses Steve. :)

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Yes I meant Stone Roses.

Obviously my opinion and I have the same problem with Stone Roses not being able to get through it in one.

Still good don't get me wrong just prefer Secon Coming :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

h4rdy said:
Yes I meant Stone Roses.

Obviously my opinion and I have the same problem with Stone Roses not being able to get through it in one.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and I respect that, I really do, but you are wrong. :grin:

When I get my turntable back (it's being repaired), I'll give Second Coming another go.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Parallel Lines - Blondie

The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect - Todd Rundgren

Faithful - Todd R

(A curious project. Here TR devotes side 1 to creating facsimiles of well known songs. No, not covers. Sort of exact copies. For 1976 they're an incredible demonstration of his virtuoso command of the studio. Oh, and his playing, singing and arranging. Included are Good Vibrations, Rain, Strawberry Fields, Dylsn and Hendrix.

The Ballad Of Todd Rundgren

The recent Steinman/ Meatloaf jibes made me re-visit the oracle's magical music. I've got a stack of solo Todd, Utopia and The Nazz LPs. They're all interesting and often brilliant in varying ways. (Well, less so the Utopia LPs). Even the almost unplayable Initiation LP has something going for it. Wherein TR attempts to break the em, record for the longest time lengths committed to vinyl, thereby making it ridiculously thin in sound quality terms, and other terms too if you're not a fan of prog-psych-pop-opera.

Later, post-the little ones bedtime, I'll be digging out A Wizard, A True Star & Something/Anything.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
stone roses - got em on CD no interest in getting them on vinyl, howevever Oaisis have announced their whole back catalogue on heavyweight vinyl - i will def get the first 2 albums - the best IMO

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I decided to abandon the Toddfest and played Morrissey's Your Arsenal instead. The re-issue's garnering some much deserved praise. My slightly worn twenty year old copy still sounds magnificent.

Next up:

John Prine's debut LP.

Btw Jim, I "won" one of The Smiths' On The Road LPs I was bidding on. I'm looking forward to it arriving.

h4rdy

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
h4rdy said:
Yes I meant Stone Roses.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and I respect that, I really do, but you are wrong. :grin:

When I get my turntable back (it's being repaired), I'll give Second Coming another go.

I will promise to have a good listen to Stone Roses :cheers:

Just ordered the Oasis Definitely Maybe Deluxe Boxset and await the others as well.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

h4rdy said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
h4rdy said:
Yes I meant Stone Roses.

I will promise to have a good listen to Stone Roses :cheers:

Just ordered the Oasis Definitely Maybe Deluxe Boxset and await the others as well.

I bought the first two Oasis albums and Second Coming from a car boot a few years ago, for £2 each; but these days, I'd have to get up at the crack of dawn, and fight off the dealers to get bargains like that.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Parallel Lines - Blondie

The Ever Popular Tortured Artist Effect - Todd Rundgren

Faithful - Todd R

(A curious project. Here TR devotes side 1 to creating facsimiles of well known songs. No, not covers. Sort of exact copies. For 1976 they're an incredible demonstration of his virtuoso command of the studio. Oh, and his playing, singing and arranging. Included are Good Vibrations, Rain, Strawberry Fields, Dylsn and Hendrix.

The Ballad Of Todd Rundgren

The recent Steinman/ Meatloaf jibes made me re-visit the oracle's magical music. I've got a stack of solo Todd, Utopia and The Nazz LPs. They're all interesting and often brilliant in varying ways. (Well, less so the Utopia LPs). Even the almost unplayable Initiation LP has something going for it. Wherein TR attempts to break the em, record for the longest time lengths committed to vinyl, thereby making it ridiculously thin in sound quality terms, and other terms too if you're not a fan of prog-psych-pop-opera.

Later, post-the little ones bedtime, I'll be digging out A Wizard, A True Star & Something/Anything.

Interesting, Charlie. Yes, if the Meatloaf jibes did anything it made me think about Todd. Faithful is an odd one: side 1 has always seemed pointless, if very clever, but side 2 contains the sublime Love Of The Common Man and The Verb: To Love.

Something/Anything is brilliant pop music. The most brilliant pop music produced by a single human being imo.

For what it's worth my Todd favourites are:

'Hermit Of Mink Hollow'

'Todd'- double Lp. A Dream Goes On Forever. What a beautiful song! I always wanted to dye my hair like Todd's on the LP cover. I was persuaded not to.
smile.png

'Nearly Human.'

I like all the Todd Rundgren records but I could happily live without ever hearing Utopia again!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
I decided to abandon the Toddfest and played Morrissey's Your Arsenal instead. The re-issue's garnering some much deserved praise. My slightly worn twenty year old copy still sounds magnificent.

Next up:

John Prine's debut LP.

Btw Jim, I "won" one of The Smiths' On The Road LPs I was bidding on. I'm looking forward to it arriving.

Great news, Charlie! I played it again today. So much better than 'Rank.' I don't think you'll be disappointed; in fact, I know you're going to love it. Morrissey is so funny at times but I won't spoil it for you by quoting his witty remarks.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Red Garland Trio-Spooky

Nick Drake-Pink Moon

Keith Jarrett/Jan Garbarek-Luminessence

The Smiths-On The Road (boot)

For anybody interested in Blue Note Records, they're reissuing 100 of their classics in the next few weeks. There's a Blue Note UK site that you can contact and place orders. Some of these, in original form, are going for hundreds of pounds. It's a great list of reissues: all recommended.

http://www.bluenote.com/vinylreissues.html

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Morrissey is so funny at times but I won't spoil it for you by quoting his witty remarks.

See, I never 'got' Morrissey/The Smiths. I've never heard any albums, but was put off by all that singing in arpeggios/drone. Each song sounded pretty much the same, to me. Maybe someone can explain the draw?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Freddy58 said:
Jim-W said:
Morrissey is so funny at times but I won't spoil it for you by quoting his witty remarks.

See, I never 'got' Morrissey/The Smiths. I've never heard any albums, but was put off by all that singing in arpeggios/drone. Each song sounded pretty much the same, to me. Maybe someone can explain the draw?

I'm not a massive fan of either, but I do have a few albums.

You seem to be a man who likes a nice melody Freddy; have you heard Hovercraft or The Birthday Party? :shifty:

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been able to post from home for a few days now as apparantly my entries "are triggering the spam filter." Perhaps it's the HiFi Gods striking me down for liking Jim Steinman? Anyway, I never know if my entries are going to be displayed, but I'll keep trying! In the vinyl playlist over the last few nights has been -

Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything?

Supertramp - Crime Of The Century

John Grant - Pale Green Ghosts

Al Stewart - The Year Of The Cat

ABBA - Voulez Vous

Dire Straits - Making Movies

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Next up:

John Prine's debut LP.

Great news, Charlie! I played it again today. So much better than 'Rank.' I don't think you'll be disappointed; in fact, I know you're going to love it. Morrissey is so funny at times but I won't spoil it for you by quoting his witty remarks.

Hi Jim,

I'm really looking forward to The Smiths LP. I'm not a big fan of live albums with a few exceptions but it'll be interesting to have a non-Rank experience, as it were. Morrissey's voice alone should be worth the price of admission.

Back to Todd, yes, I can live without most Utopia albums although Swing To The Right has some good moments. Mink Hollow is great, The Healing too in parts.

The Blue Note re-issues look really interesting. Also, I re-visited Pat Metheny's albums after our recent dialogue and came away with an equally underwhelmed impression. Bar Song X with Ornette Coleman which is exhilarating. The anti-smooth vibe is fantastic. Great drumming too.

Your mention of Keith Jarrett reminded me I only have The Koln Concert on CD, which I really like. Any others worth recommending if I'm hunting him out on vinyl?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlie. Oh, it's easily worth it for Morrissey's voice-he is brilliant throughout.

Pat Metheny is a difficult one; I really fo feel it's his tone which kind of blands everything out but, with the exception of a few inc Grant Green, Django,Bill Frisell and Ralph Towner (a very sensitive player) I'm not really a fan of guitar taking a lead role in jazz. A bit like you, I've got a few Metheny records but most sort of pass me by: the best I have is 'Bright Size Life' but that may be largely due to the presence of Jaco Pastorius. 'Watercolour Days' with Eberhard Weber on bass is also good. I guess I like sonorous bass players!

Keith Jarrett. Well. I mean, that's huge because it's a huge catalogue. I'll make a few recommendations though which you could then investigate further, ie use Google!

Solo piano-The Bremen Lausanne Concerts (ECM) are sublime, beautiful, exciting, spiritual, rollicking and very much like Koln. I think they may be even better and I certainly prefer them. You know what to expect if you have The Koln Concert.: long lyrical passages and some bluesy, r and b vamps. 3 lp box set may be difficult to track down; I've got one and the cd version: the cd's sound fine. Also. 'Facing You.' his 1971 ECM debut is lovely. 'Staircase' (ECM) double lp is introspective and lyrical. 'The Paris Concert' is a good live solo piano record.

American Quartet: The Survivor's' Suite(ECM) This features Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian and is beautifully played. Redman is an inventive, soulful and mercurial tenor player and Haden's bass is, well, similar. Also, 'Death And The Flower' and 'Byablue' are excellent. The conversations between Jarrett and Haden are often emotionally overwhelming on these records. Beautiful stuff. Then there's this; the most beautiful sax solo in the history of recorded jazz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVk-h5cdy8o

The European Quartet: 'My Song' (ECM) with Jan Garbarek. Lovely tunes and top-class musicianship of course. 'Belonging' is also excellent. 'Personal Mountains' is a great live performance.

Highly regarded are also the reords he made with his Standards trio, playing ahem jazz standards. Can't comment, I haven't got any.

There's a load more: classical and symphonic stuff but I couldn't keep up with it. I think this earlier stuff is his most vital.

Hope this helps.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
stevebrock said:
jimbofisher said:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito

Warpaint - Warpaint

Anna Calvi - One Breath

New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies

The Stranglers - The Collection 1977-1982

Ectasy - one of my fave New Order tracks

Age of Consent for me, one of the best album openers there is!

Right ok gonna spin Power, Corruption Lies this minute

forgot how much I love this album

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts