What vinyl are you listening to?

Page 184 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I'm just cleaning the slender haul of LPs I bought today from the record fair.

Mostly things I didn't know I wanted, so to speak.

A lovely original of Parallel Lines. Visually looks near mint. We'll see how it plays.

John Prine's debut LP.

Another orignal of this wonderful LP.

History of The Byrds double LP compilation.

Knocked Out Loaded - Bob.

(I couldn't resist this because it was in excellent nick and cheap. I've already got this twice over but both are scratched and poppy. Not through over-playing, you understand. Actually, it's not a "bad" album. In relative terms. You know, compared to Down in The Groove. I own three copies of Knocked Out Loaded on vinyl. Beat that!!!! That's nothing compared to an old Uni friend who amassed twenty plus copies of a particular Janet Jackson LP. Just for the sake of it.)

£15 in total.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:

A lovely original of Parallel Lines. Visually looks near mint. We'll see how it plays.

John Prine's debut LP.

(I couldn't resist this because it was in excellent nick and cheap. I've already got this twice over but both are scratched and poppy. Not through over-playing, you understand. Actually, it's not a "bad" album. In relative terms. You know, compared to Down in The Groove. I own three copies of Knocked Out Loaded on vinyl. Beat that!!!! That's nothing compared to an old Uni friend who amassed twenty plus copies of a particular Janet Jackson LP. Just for the sake of it.)

£15 in total.

All good stuff, Charlie. I haven't played, 'History Of The Byrds' for, oh. 30 years or more. I must get it down; it was the beginning of my Byrds fanaticism. It's a damn good compilation.

I know you're a Smiths fan so I have to tell you this: Charlie, 'On The Road' is magnificent; I've played it a couple of times through and it is just fantastic. I'm not a fan of live lp's but this really captures the show; Morrissey is a revelation: his singing is a thing of beauty and he does all his trademark whoops and odd voices but he sings with such genuine feeling. This is from a Johnny Marr worshipper. It's Morrissey's show and no mistake. It gets ugly at the end as the security police get heavy: it's worth the money to hear Morrissey berating them- so sharp.

Any Smiths' fans reading this: get 'On The Road' double lp. Just about every song cuts the studio versions. My opinion, of course.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've listened to some more of the stuff I bought yesterday. The old student motto:' Buy now, starve later' is well and truly back in my head:

Sidney Bechet-Blue Note Jazz Classics Vol 2.

Nick Drake-Pink Moon. Back to Black reissue. God knows why I bought this, I've got an original. Just couldn't resist, I guess.

Sonny Boy Williamson-More Real Folk Blues.

Keith Jarrett-Luminessence.

Ruffhouse Records Gtreates Hits. Utterly fantastic! Fugees, Lauren Hill, Cypress Hill etc.

Dave Brubeck Quartet-Gone With The Wind.

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Today picked up the following and had a very good afternoon's listening:

Wild Beasts - Present Tense

Beck - Morning Phase

Neneh Cherry - Blank Project

Tinariwen - Emmaar

3 of 4 are supposed to be new releases tomorrow, breaking street date is a pet hate of mine.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Milo_Myage said:
jimbofisher said:

Beck - Morning Phase

Tinariwen - Emmaar

3 of 4 are supposed to be new releases tomorrow, breaking street date is a pet hate of mine.

True. Not officially opn sale but were pre-ordered and the shop therefore let you collect once they have them, not put out for sale though.

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
jimbofisher said:
Milo_Myage said:
jimbofisher said:

Beck - Morning Phase

Tinariwen - Emmaar

True. Not officially opn sale but were pre-ordered and the shop therefore let you collect once they have them, not put out for sale though.

My Neneh Cherry has been in store since Tuesday, finally get to buy it tomorrow. It's not such a big problem with music but if a local store breaks street date on a big video game we can lose a fortune in sales.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

John Prine's debut LP.

£15 in total.

All good stuff, Charlie. I haven't played, 'History Of The Byrds' for, oh. 30 years or more. I must get it down; it was the beginning of my Byrds fanaticism. It's a damn good compilation.

I know you're a Smiths fan so I have to tell you this: Charlie, 'On The Road' is magnificent; I've played it a couple of times through and it is just fantastic. I'm not a fan of live lp's but this really captures the show; Morrissey is a revelation: his singing is a thing of beauty and he does all his trademark whoops and odd voices but he sings with such genuine feeling. This is from a Johnny Marr worshipper. It's Morrissey's show and no mistake. It gets ugly at the end as the security police get heavy: it's worth the money to hear Morrissey berating them- so sharp.

Any Smiths' fans reading this: get 'On The Road' double lp. Just about every song cuts the studio versions. My opinion, of course.

Hi Jim,

You really have sold me on The Smiths boot. I shall resist boring you on my Moz fandom - oh actually, I have to indulge myself a little here: 1983, Bradford, WH Smiths', a couple of weeks before I was due to depart for University and I heard This Charming Man. Although I was familiar with Hand in Glove I hadn't adored it or even bought it. But this second single truly got me. And there began the love affair. Thirty years on, ten viewings of The Smiths live and upwards of fifty for Moz later, nevermind the actual records in their multiple forms, the books, the websites, the one thing that has followed me, guided me, instructed and validated me has been Morrissey. Voice, words and then voice again.

Above all others, almost- Bob, Neil, My Morning Jacket, Rufus Wainwright included - his voice is the thing that I return to, daily, for confirmation of existence in all it's fetid glory.

Permission cart me off to Pseuds Cormer granted. But I'm being sincere here.

My wife has just told me that my description of Moz-love only "captures it a bit". But you get the general idea.

So, with your recommendation firmly placed in my "ear" I'll hunt it down!!! Do you mind me asking the price you paid for it?

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Milo_Myage said:
jimbofisher said:
Milo_Myage said:
jimbofisher said:

Beck - Morning Phase

Tinariwen - Emmaar

My Neneh Cherry has been in store since Tuesday, finally get to buy it tomorrow. It's not such a big problem with music but if a local store breaks street date on a big video game we can lose a fortune in sales.

i can understand. It is from an independent shop and they have to compete with Amazon and in the past on Amazon preorders they have been sent out so arrive before the release date. It seems to be a perk for preorders. Was going ot also get the St Vincent album but not due out until Monday so not on the sheves yet.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
Jim-W said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

John Prine's debut LP.

£15 in total.

Hi Jim,

You really have sold me on The Smiths boot. I shall resist boring you on my Moz fandom - oh actually, I have to indulge myself a little here: 1983, Bradford, WH Smiths', a couple of weeks before I was due to depart for University and I heard This Charming Man. Although I was familiar with Hand in Glove I hadn't adored it or even bought it. But this second single truly got me. And there began the love affair. Thirty years on, ten viewings of The Smiths live and upwards of fifty for Moz later, nevermind the actual records in their multiple forms, the books, the websites, the one thing that has followed me, guided me, instructed and validated me has been Morrissey. Voice, words and then voice again.

Above all others, almost- Bob, Neil, My Morning Jacket, Rufus Wainwright included - his voice is the thing that I return to, daily, for confirmation of existence in all it's fetid glory.

Permission cart me off to Pseuds Cormer granted. But I'm being sincere here.

My wife has just told me that my description of Moz-love only "captures it a bit". But you get the general idea.

So, with your recommendation firmly placed in my "ear" I'll hunt it down!!! Do you mind me asking the price you paid for it?

My God, Charlie-that was really rather brilliant-my daughter is similarly smitten. She'll go mad when she knows I've got a live record and didn't get her a copy. She'll take it off somewhere and I'll never see it again! It was 'This Charming Man', live on John Peel- I can remember recording it halfway through and playing it over and over and over again. It was, like Marquee Moon, something that had dropped from heaven into a sordid and naughty world. I loved you fandom speech re Moz. One day, I'll do my Bert Jansch one- the backdrop to my life, but like you, I love all good music.

I DO mind you asking how much I paid because I paid over the odds! My bloke is normally very cheap and does me good deals on rare records-I mean like half price because I buy so much but hmm not this time. £25. It's on ebay for half that. It's ok-I'll tell him next week. Having said that, he gave me 2 records for free! I saw it for £13 on ebay or something like that. I really hope, if you buy it, that you like it because I feel kind of responsible. Ha! I hope you buy it and love it. Go on....NOW!!!!!

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:

I'm certainly not up to 20+ copies of a Janet Jackson LP, but I do get a strange compulsion to buy yet another copy Bad For Good by Jim Steinman when I see it when flicking through racks of LPs. I think I have 5 of them and so far have managed to stop myself there. No idea why, but good to hear I'm not alone!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Yes, I've got my eye on The Smiths boot. Several copies on eBay, of course.

I'll be acquiring one sooner or later. And I won't be asking you for a refund if it doesn't cut the yellow, spicy stuff!!! I'm sure it'll be a good listen.

Look forward to your paean to Bert someday. Did you ever see that late-period doc about Jansch which featured Johnny Marr and, I think, Bernard Butler. Emblems of the flame being passed on, no doubt. All great players. Didn't NY ask Bert to open for him on Le Noise gigs??

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Charlie.

Well, I played it through twice today at some volume and I've decided it's utterly brilliant with no caveats. It's a must-have for a Smiths fan and bear in mind, as a rule, I really don't care for live albums. Two tracks stood out for me today: the huge and cavernous sound of 'How Soon Is Now' which has great Moz vocals and his lovely singing on 'The Boy With The Thorn In HIs Side.' There's a wonderful version of 'Stretch Out And Wait' too. I will confess, although perhaps I shouldn't, that 'There Is A light That Never Goes Out' brought a tear to my eye, but, then again, it always does.

Yes, I think Bert did open for Neil on that tour, or at least he was asked. Maybe he did some dates; I know he played in America towards the end of his life.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Jim-W said:
Hi Charlie.

Well, I played it through twice today at some volume and I've decided it's utterly brilliant with no caveats. It's a must-have for a Smiths fan and bear in mind, as a rule, I really don't care for live albums. Two tracks stood out for me today: the huge and cavernous sound of 'How Soon Is Now' which has great Moz vocals and his lovely singing on 'The Boy With The Thorn In HIs Side.' There's a wonderful version of 'Stretch Out And Wait' too. I will confess, although perhaps I shouldn't, that 'There Is A light That Never Goes Out' brought a tear to my eye, but, then again, it always does.

Yes, I think Bert did open for Neil on that tour, or at least he was asked. Maybe he did some dates; I know he played in America towards the end of his life.

Hi Jim,

With each description of yours my anticipation and price point rises.

Tear-inducing always works for me. More the music, than the price, I have to say.

I'll report back accordingly. I have my eye on two copies. Probably end up winning both or neither!!!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Marvindodgers said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

I'm certainly not up to 20+ copies of a Janet Jackson LP, but I do get a strange compulsion to buy yet another copy Bad For Good by Jim Steinman when I see it when flicking through racks of LPs. I think I have 5 of them and so far have managed to stop myself there. No idea why, but good to hear I'm not alone!

Not wishing to be particularly mean, but there really can't be a lot more than 5 copies in existence can there?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
For two weeks that my TT is on the spin, since i've bought my new phono stage...

as i write Dire Straits "Alchemy", next Mike + the Mechanics self titled and after The House Martins "London O Hull 4"

I'm happyas i can be!!! :cheer:

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Hex Enduction Hour - The Fall

Beaster - Sugar

I needed some thoughtful noise. These came up trumps.

Now I'm less work-tense. Time for a gentler slide towards Newsnight.

Circutial - My Morning Jacket

Played this to near death when it came out three years ago. Still sounding fantastic to me. As does:

Marvindodgers

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Marvindodgers said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

Not wishing to be particularly mean, but there really can't be a lot more than 5 copies in existence can there?

How rude - ha ha!

I do have a very eclectic musical taste and I must admit to a soft spot for music where the kitchen sink gets thrown in quite early! Anything associated with Todd Rundgren is good with me as he is a genius!

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Marvindodgers said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Marvindodgers said:
Charlie Jefferson said:

How rude - ha ha!

I do have a very eclectic musical taste and I must admit to a soft spot for music where the kitchen sink gets thrown in quite early! Anything associated with Todd Rundgren is good with me as he is a genius!

Have to agree with the Todd is a genius sentiment. 'Hermit Of Mink Hollow; is my fave Todd but I like 'em all.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Have to agree with the Todd is a genius sentiment. 'Hermit Of Mink Hollow; is my fave Todd but I like 'em all.

And Jim Steinman?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts