What to look for in a 4K PJ screen then?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Probably a Sony 4K PJ, 1500 lumens, HDR etc etc.

"Throw" about 12 to 15 feet. Screen size 140 to 150 inch ish diagonal. 2.35:1 if I can get one with the right material, 16:9 if not.

Must be acoustically transparent as it will cover all three fronts (hopefully).

Room is a dedicated HT room, no windows at all, with the only light getting round cracks around the door, most of which can be semi-covered if necessary.

Walls are mushroom colour with normal American "orange peel" texture, not flat like a UK wall, so should scatter light quite well. Carpet is light brown. Might get away with changing that but The Memsahib is most unlikely to put up with black walls ceiling or carpet.

Colour?

Gain?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Buy light rejecting - the colour and gain will be dictated by this.

The choices of AT and Light rejecting will be more limited - start the search for acoustically transparent light rejecting

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Light room you want a light rejecting screen otherwise you will sacrifice black level and contrast performance. A lot of projectors struggle here anyway.
Light rejecting screens improve black level and therefore improve contrast ratio.

Look Up screen Innovations Black Diamond - this shows the effect but they do not make a Black Diamond in AT

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Screen Innovations Make Slate AT .8 you will want a bright projector for 0.8 Gain but that screen will likely be perfect for you and a great place to start

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Was thinking of this, which, at about $950 is a QUARTER of the price I'd have to pay for the recommended. $300 pays for a better PJ and / or some nice electric recliners...

Guess we could add drapes or panels IF reflected light really becomes an issue but I hope the textured wall and ceiling finishes will help scatter reflected light.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-acoustic-pro-Aeon/dp/B075V657NH/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1531923782&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=elite+screens+aeon+150+at&dpPl=1&dpID=51PtR-9revL&ref=plSrch

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
even if you close the curtains and have dark curtains as soon as you install a 150" light relflector / amplifier into the room and shine 2000 lumens at it will light your room up like daytime.

Then all that light makes its way back to the screen and washes out the image, especially with an AT screen as its perforated

Then all the money thats gone into the Projector to get deep blacks and good contrast ratio goes out the window - see if you can source an alternative light rejecting screen.

Screen Innovations are mega bucks but I dare say mega good

It's really not easy though to get one so maybe my idea is folly and get the one you like. Making a room darker especially around the screen is easy to do. Darkness around the screen helps with the perceived contrast of the image. Lots of screens have thick black velvet borders for this.
The slim line screens look much sexier but won't have that effect on the image.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts