What makes a difference to sound quality and why?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

FolsomBlues:There is no scientific equipment, nor can there be, that allows someone to say a recording of a live performance plays better on their system than another. If this scientific equipment existed it would be full of test tubes with blue liquid in them and dry ice pouring out of the top and Peter Cushing running around like a lunatic screaming that he's "found it!" There are simply too many variables involved in what the listening experience entails in a live event for someone to say there are objective measurements that means one person could say their system reproduces it better than someone elses.

I agree. The way I see it studio recordings do not attempt to capture the ambience of a live event. Ambience is created by the listening environment, primarily sound reflections - diffusion. Surround sound recordings do record - add ambience. DSP effects modes attempt to artificially enhance stereo studio recordings with ambience, personnally I do not think they work very well, and I do not use them.

Recordings made at a live event can be played back accurately. But since I doubt they had the microphone in the position of the listeners/audience and it was probably recorded in stereo and not surround sound I agree it will not sound the same as being at a live performance. Again ambience being a product of listening environment.

Do you believe you can recreate the ambience of a live performance by picking cd player - amplifer - speakers and accesories by ear to personal taste.

The point of using specifications and measurements as a starting point is to not sacrifice music fidelity - clarity for a sound that has more distortion and uneven frequency response. It is setting a minmum bar for accuracy then decideding what you like the sound of. Since most or all setups are not going to be 100% accurate to source and you want to add ambience - sound diffusion anyway, ultimately it comes down to making the final choice by ear. Specifications and measurements are just setting a minimum bar for accuracy - clarity. Do you find products with higher total harmonic distortion or noise or uneven frequency response sound better to you, more like a live event.

If the room is not acoustically pretty neutral, then having a setup that gives music fidelty is a forlorn hope. Since the room will be distorting the sound anyway. In this is the case I can see the argument for home trial by ear as you are trying to get components that compensate - compliment your listening environment. In theory I think if you were taking measurements on site you could still aim for music fidelty.

"I think one of the problems in products that measure well but perform poorly and vice versa may be that some important aspects in reproduction are not being measured or that different factors interact with one another in complex ways."

"It also begs the question whether the right parameters that indicate "good" sound quality are being tested - I'm sure that we don't really know what they are"

The people into Psycoacoustics would disagree with you. The science of how we perceive sound and the technology used to replicate sound is not something new and measuring equipment is far more accuarately than human hearing. There is nothing that you can hear that can not be measured. So in effect you are saying there is something audible conciously or subconciously that you can hear that they are unaware off, that makes a difference to perceived sound quality. In effect those psycoacoustics people and audio engineers do not know what they are looking for so do not know what they should be measuring. This is the point that some people argue over, audiophiles claim to hear a difference but those who favour measurements say it does not exist or that it is measurable by equipment but not audible to humans. You never know, I do not think any scientist would claim a subject as broad as human perception and state of mind is completely understood, no need for more research here, we know it all. After all they would have talked themselves out of a job. But I think you would be talking about some kind of effect or distortion being created by the setup that makes you enjoy or not enjoy the music more, rather than what has been recorded on the disc. They know what is recorded on the disc, they must do to encode it - put it there and decode it - take it off. I do not see how having better audio fidelity would necessarily remove this effect, but I would have to know what the effect was to be sure.

Another argument is if accurate sound reproduction means you are producing "good sound quality" that depends on if the sound recorded was good to begin with. Since what makes good music is down to personal taste this I think will always be the case.

"its about understanding how our ears and brains interpret the subtleties of sound to recognise and place things in space. Maybe a hi fi system is always just going to sound just that - a hi fi system in which case we'd better get over it quick!"

A cohesive large soundstage is created by good hifi, things that muddy the position of things in the sound stage or clarity of detail in the music are understood. Once you have music fidelity it comes down to speaker placement, listener position and room acoustics. For ambience in the listening environment as I say above this is not currently recorded in stereo. If it was recorded and we all used surround sound setups to recreate it, you would want an acoustically dead - over absorbent room, as you would not be relying on your rooms sound reflections - diffusion to make the music sound natural, so all current recordings would need to be played using dsp effects or would sound awful in the room.

manicm

Pete10:manicm:

SACD is not a total failure - you can still find some legacy stuff - DSOTM, Bob Dylan etc. And all Linn's discs are SACD too. DVD-A wrought its demise itself entirely - the sound may have been spot on but the implementation was comprehensively dreadful.

Ok - but it could/should have become main stream. I have a multiplayer but own hardly any SACDs. The music industry is not willing to produce hybrid sacd/cd's as default, and we audio consumers are not willing to pay the extra money so it seems (or prefer to invest in cables ;). I think the industry gave up and are waiting for the next step, be it online sales or maybe blue ray with 'extra's'. Let's hope that simple stereo will survive, I must confess that so far I really dislike multichannel. Maybe also because a lot of multichannel material is produced more to create special effects (the bass apparently has to sound as an earthquake) rather than to recreate real life music.

Don't worry, the death of CD is greatly exaggerated - Chebby and his Naim has seen to that - (sorry Cheb couldn't help myself)
emotion-2.gif
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Do excuse me if I am talking drivel. When I play my music on Foobar2000 there is a feature visualisation called Oscilloscope. I'm assuming it is a representation of the sound waves being played. As this is being measured from a proven digitally accurate source could this not be compared with a recording of the source being played from tested equipment in a fixed scientific criteria.

Better still I am sure it is possible to create a test CD which moves through a rigorous number of different sounds to provoke mistakes or different interpretation from the equipment. If a visual record can be made then all the tested equipments visual record could be overlaid the source to see how they deviated from the original. Thus an expert could probably point out where and how the music/sound is being interpreted by each item.

It may sound clinical and boring but I think that it is plausible even though I am not a sound engineer. This could be used as an addition to back up and add foundation to a reviewers report which he can still extrapulate by flowering up the way an album sounded etc.

In fact I think it would add credibility to a report. Lets be honest I have often seen contradicting reviews from rival reviewers.ÿ

idc

There are various product to allow home testing of your system, from this off Amazon..................

51XFFCC7TZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

...to this from Russ Andrews...........

5051l.jpg

a test tone generator to sweap your room for unwanted noise. It is £75, the CD is about £20, so it is expensive. Some tester tracks that you know really well, the time and place to rack up the volume and a bit of blu tack to secure ant room rattles would probably do the same job.

For me it is the ears that do the talking and as has been stated before, figures, whilst interseting, only really apply to matching an amp with speakers or getting an attenuated interconnect.

A

Anonymous

Well I compared my ancient Panasonic dvd-a160 player (in good working order but replaced as it lacks video component outputs) using analogue outputs to the Sony dvd player. I have convinced my self they do sound different. Since the players were not level balanced, the sony is definetly louder, and not in time sync, and not double blind, etc... My opinion is of no scientific benefit. But I now believe dvd, cd players can sound different.

I went to a local charity shop and picked up two copies of Britiny Spears Baby One More Time album so I could quickly switch between machines. Ok I admit it I already owned one copy, and even have a Britiny pop videos dvd, at which point given my appalling taste in music you wander if I would recognize sound quality if it whacked me on the side of the head. Anyway I preferred the Panasonic I thought the music sounded warmer, smoother, more natural, welcoming. The Sony was crisper - clearer sounding but could be more wearing. I think I would have trouble guessing between them in a blind test, but would hope to do better than blind chance. No I would not be willing to bet money on it.

Searching the web I came up with these possible reasons.

Transport errors are usually very noticeable pops, etc so I ruled that out. Quality of the converter, the filter requirements imposed by that converter, the quality of the filter, and the quality of the following analog components, power supply quality and clock jitter. I have seen jitter distortion convincingly argued to be well below audible level so I will rule that out. The converter if working correctly should be fine. The filter however can cause phase shift, frequency response ripple and high frequency roll-off. I have also seen phase shift dismissed as being not audible. But frequency response ripple is alledgedly about 1/10dB which is just within audible, and high frequency roll off looks promising. These would apparantly be most notable in music with high-order harmonics.

Apparantly it is possible to make a reconstruction filter in the DAC to have the same ripple with the opposite phase (in the frequency domain), thus canceling the effects of both filters and producing a perfectly flat response of the total system. This would make all cd players sound the same. I do not know if any manufacturers do this or if it is a rabid conspiracy theory that manufactures are making products worse than ideal so they are distinguishable.

So I will searching the web for arguments for and against frequency response ripple and high frequency roll off caused by filters in cd player dacs being the reason for cd players sounding different.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have to say I have no interest in measurements. One of the other mags does them and I just gloss over. One man's strawberry is another man's Drogba, therefore measurements are pointless

ÿ

idc

knightout:

....My opinion is of no scientific benefit. But I now believe dvd, cd players can sound different......

Discusions such as this one usually split between those who want science to explain what is going (or not going) on and those who value opinion. I don't necessarily agree that your opinion has no scentific benefit, especially as you speak with detailed knowledge of the subject. Expert opinion is very valuable. What is your background knightout?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
idc:knightout:
....My opinion is of no scientific benefit. But Iÿnow believe dvd,ÿcd players can soundÿdifferent......

Discusions such as this one usually split between those who want science to explain what is going (or not going) on and those who value opinion. I don't necessarily agree that your opinion has no scentific benefit, especially as you speak with detailed knowledge of the subject. Expert opinion is very valuable. What is your background knightout?

Novelist?

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Sorry, going to post this again as the other attempts got messed up...

Afraid not: multiple duplicate posts - MODS

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Woody Zog,

That was brilliant.
A nice balance of the pseudo technical and outright insanity.
Strangely enough I do believe you actually do know some useful information.
I don't think you provided any though.
Still it was a very good laugh.
Well done.
Are you a disciple of Peter Belt by any chance?

I hadn't noticed it was a repeat post though.

A

Anonymous

idc:knightout:

....My opinion is of no scientific benefit. But I now believe dvd, cd players can sound different......

Thats the problem with the internet you do not know who you are talking to or who to believe. I have no detailed knowledge of the subject that has not come from the net and so could be very suspect. My education is up to A Levels with maths being the only semi-technical one I took and that was a long time ago. I have worked as a technician (not an engineer) in the optical electronics industry testing products for the fibre optics ranging from multiplexers costing a small fortune to receiver costing a few hundred pounds, in the chemical industry testing shampoo to food additives, and in the medical equipment industry testing medical diagnostic equipment. So one of the reasons I like measurements and data is probably my background. But my knowledge of hifi only comes from a brief interest as an enthusiast and not from any rigours technical understanding. I rely on trusting what others have written, but with the net you get so many conflicting opinions, it often comes down to who is most persuasive not who is necessarily right.

I did dismiss jitter as a cause of audible difference due to reading convincing arguements it was so low, it would not be audible. Now I am reading arguments in favour of jitter and being convinced it could be the cause. The problem is unless you are qualified to fully understand the validity of the arguments, which I am not, they tend to all sound convincing. So I am going to have to look for peer reviewed published pappers and results of ABX testing or measured results along with psychoacoustics confirming the measured results are within human audibiliy. If I am to know who to believe.

If manufactures measured fidelity using an industry specified standard, gave specifications and published papers for peer review explaining why their player sounded better, you would not have such confusion. Instead they all seem to rely on marketing hype and subjective reviews, which give you little ability to accurately compare how products perform.

idc

For me the idea of measuring hifi falls down as there does not appear to a definite and direct link between what measurements show and how it well the hifi sounds to an individual. For example, I had a traditional setup of CDP, amp, cassette deck, speakers, stands and cables. I was then given an ipod and Logitech dock and my old setup has gone and I love my Bose Sounddock and the sound it produces. (I'm not including headphones that have remained throughout). But 'measurement' wise i.e. objectively, my new setup is going to be miles behind the old one. For example, bit rates; Spotify vs CDs, CDs win. Frequency range, old setup vs Sounddock, old set up wins. But subjectively and using my ears, my new setup wins. Based on that my perfect setup would be the Meridian F80

4580grigiopx300.jpg

For those who will be thinking, how can a Bose Sounddock beat a traditional hifi setup, costing about £1500, the answer is down to living with the music. I had to make so many compromises about speaker placement in various different houses, I am in my 4th in 8 years, that the Sounddock does actually sound better. In my last house I mainly listened to one speaker, in my present house I do not think there is anywhere to put the hifi at all. Children also compromise how much hifi you can have!

manicm

knightout:

FolsomBlues:There is no scientific equipment, nor can there be, that allows someone to say a recording of a live performance plays better on their system than another. If this scientific equipment existed it would be full of test tubes with blue liquid in them and dry ice pouring out of the top and Peter Cushing running around like a lunatic screaming that he's "found it!" There are simply too many variables involved in what the listening experience entails in a live event for someone to say there are objective measurements that means one person could say their system reproduces it better than someone elses.

I agree. The way I see it studio recordings do not attempt to capture the ambience of a live event. Ambience is created by the listening environment, primarily sound reflections - diffusion. Surround sound recordings do record - add ambience. DSP effects modes attempt to artificially enhance stereo studio recordings with ambience, personnally I do not think they work very well, and I do not use them.

Recordings made at a live event can be played back accurately. But since I doubt they had the microphone in the position of the listeners/audience and it was probably recorded in stereo and not surround sound I agree it will not sound the same as being at a live performance. Again ambience being a product of listening environment.

Do you believe you can recreate the ambience of a live performance by picking cd player - amplifer - speakers and accesories by ear to personal taste.

The point of using specifications and measurements as a starting point is to not sacrifice music fidelity - clarity for a sound that has more distortion and uneven frequency response. It is setting a minmum bar for accuracy then decideding what you like the sound of. Since most or all setups are not going to be 100% accurate to source and you want to add ambience - sound diffusion anyway, ultimately it comes down to making the final choice by ear. Specifications and measurements are just setting a minimum bar for accuracy - clarity. Do you find products with higher total harmonic distortion or noise or uneven frequency response sound better to you, more like a live event.

If the room is not acoustically pretty neutral, then having a setup that gives music fidelty is a forlorn hope. Since the room will be distorting the sound anyway. In this is the case I can see the argument for home trial by ear as you are trying to get components that compensate - compliment your listening environment. In theory I think if you were taking measurements on site you could still aim for music fidelty.

"I think one of the problems in products that measure well but perform poorly and vice versa may be that some important aspects in reproduction are not being measured or that different factors interact with one another in complex ways."

"It also begs the question whether the right parameters that indicate "good" sound quality are being tested - I'm sure that we don't really know what they are"

The people into Psycoacoustics would disagree with you. The science of how we perceive sound and the technology used to replicate sound is not something new and measuring equipment is far more accuarately than human hearing. There is nothing that you can hear that can not be measured. So in effect you are saying there is something audible conciously or subconciously that you can hear that they are unaware off, that makes a difference to perceived sound quality. In effect those psycoacoustics people and audio engineers do not know what they are looking for so do not know what they should be measuring. This is the point that some people argue over, audiophiles claim to hear a difference but those who favour measurements say it does not exist or that it is measurable by equipment but not audible to humans. You never know, I do not think any scientist would claim a subject as broad as human perception and state of mind is completely understood, no need for more research here, we know it all. After all they would have talked themselves out of a job. But I think you would be talking about some kind of effect or distortion being created by the setup that makes you enjoy or not enjoy the music more, rather than what has been recorded on the disc. They know what is recorded on the disc, they must do to encode it - put it there and decode it - take it off. I do not see how having better audio fidelity would necessarily remove this effect, but I would have to know what the effect was to be sure.

Another argument is if accurate sound reproduction means you are producing "good sound quality" that depends on if the sound recorded was good to begin with. Since what makes good music is down to personal taste this I think will always be the case.

"its about understanding how our ears and brains interpret the subtleties of sound to recognise and place things in space. Maybe a hi fi system is always just going to sound just that - a hi fi system in which case we'd better get over it quick!"

A cohesive large soundstage is created by good hifi, things that muddy the position of things in the sound stage or clarity of detail in the music are understood. Once you have music fidelity it comes down to speaker placement, listener position and room acoustics. For ambience in the listening environment as I say above this is not currently recorded in stereo. If it was recorded and we all used surround sound setups to recreate it, you would want an acoustically dead - over absorbent room, as you would not be relying on your rooms sound reflections - diffusion to make the music sound natural, so all current recordings would need to be played using dsp effects or would sound awful in the room.

I disagree with the first part of your post. Every room has sonic ambience! And if a live performance can be reproduced accurately well I say a studio recording can be reproduced inaccurately as easily as a live one can.

And of-course some studio recordings do not attempt a live feeling - you forget remember some artists write and record music straight in the studio before performing it live - Bryan Ferry being a notorious example.

Take any Moody Blues recording from 67-72, and you tell me otherwise - a bad system would screw it up wholesale. Their 2nd last album in this period was done in a church.

Please don't state studio recordings have no ambience - that is patently false.

A

Anonymous

"I disagree with the first part of your post. Every room has sonic ambience! And if a live performance can be reproduced accurately well I say a studio recording can be reproduced inaccurately as easily as a live one can"

I thought in studio recordings, the instruments were played in rooms usually heavily treated for sound absorbtion and each instrument having its own microphone, the idea being you only wanted to capture the instrument on the mic not sound reflections of all the instruments in the room and sound distortions caused by the rooms frequency responses, which in a small room are not likely to be good. So you were not capturing any ambience of the venue. So I thought the acoustic properties of a recording studio were not the same as those of a listening room or a live performance, where you want sound diffusion to give the music life.

I assumed concert recording were taken from the performers mics.

If you were making a recording using microphones in the audience position, I could see the sense in the music being performed in a acoustically good room and trying to capture that ambience. This sounds like it maybe what they do. It did not occur to me a live recording could have mics in the audience position in a acoustically desirable location like the church. So I stand corrected. Some recordings do attempt to capture the environments ambience.

manicm

That probably is the case very often but what about more open studios like Abbey Road? And what about classical recordings?

I certainly think modern pop records will probably sound the same wherever they're recorded.

But I would guess many musicians who give a damn actually give sound reflections a thought. I can hear this in many recordings. Jimmy Page gave this a lot of thought in Led Zeppelin records - he is rightly proud as producer of them. Interesting you mention mics as he toyed around a lot with them by changing the distance from Plant, and room reflection definitely played a part in how those albums sound.

idc

Take Led Zeppelin and Physical Graffiti. Quite a few tracks were recorded outside using a mobile studio at Headley Grange, one of which has laughter and the sound of a plane in the background. It does not detract from the music at all. Neil Young's album Ragged Glory was and sounds as if it was recorded in a shed and the atmosphere is brilliant. But I think that ths works with experienced and highly skilled musicians who can play live as they can play in the studio. So, I know it is stating the bleeding obvious, but how well an artist plays in the first place makes a big difference to sound quality.

T

the record spot

knightout:

I assumed concert recording were taken from the performers mics.

For classical or orchestra performances, especially those for broadcast, there's a ton of mikes put up. I used to go to quite a few of the concerts during the Edinburgh International Festival at the Usher Hall, often when the BBC were recording for Radio 3 and there's a whole series of recording gear in place!

For rock gigs, I think there's a dedicated board (or offsite facility like the legendary Manor Mobile) into which the feed goes. Whether that just comes off the performers mikes, or there are additional mikes planted round the stage, I don't know.

A

Anonymous

Oh well I can no longer tell the difference between the Sony and the Panasonic.

In the Audio settings menu the Sony has Audio Attenuation, the default is off and according to the manual it should not be used unless their is audible distortion and does not effect the digital coaxial output anyway. What was making the Sony sound worse than the Panasonic must have been distortion caused by the Sony output being too high for the Sony receiver. With attenuation on the sound becomes less harsh at times and more warm and friendly like the Panasonic, to the point I can nolonger tell them apart. Again the Sony default settings and manual are wrong, attenuation is better on, and does effect digital coaxial as well as analogue outputs.

I have now compared 3 dacs, the receiver, the sony hd/dvd recorder, the panasonic dvd player. In every case there was a audible difference between them, but the differences turned out to be due to how they were setup. With the settings adjusted to optomize sound quality they all sound the same. But I would have never realized the settings were not optimal if I had not compared them, as they did not sound poor/distorted except in comparison and the default settings and manuals are wrong.

The fact I can not tell the difference between the ones I own may well be because they are all primarily AV dacs, two are by the same manufacture, and all three are within the same price range. So you would not expect there to be a massive difference anyway.

If I bought a dedicated cd player that was a price range higher than these machines I might stand a better chance of hearing a difference. When I buy a blu-ray player I will definetly not be taking it for granted that it will sound the same as my existing players.

idc

knightout:

Oh well I can no longer tell the difference between the Sony and the Panasonic.

In the Audio settings menu the Sony has Audio Attenuation, the default is off and according to the manual it should not be used unless their is audible distortion and does not effect the digital coaxial output anyway. What was making the Sony sound worse than the Panasonic must have been distortion caused by the Sony output being too high for the Sony receiver. With attenuation on the sound becomes less harsh at times and more warm and friendly like the Panasonic, to the point I can nolonger tell them apart. Again the Sony default settings and manual are wrong, attenuation is better on, and does effect digital coaxial as well as analogue outputs.

I have now compared 3 dacs, the receiver, the sony hd/dvd recorder, the panasonic dvd player. In every case there was a audible difference between them, but the differences turned out to be due to how they were setup. With the settings adjusted to optomize sound quality they all sound the same. But I would have never realized the settings were not optimal if I had not compared them, as they did not sound poor/distorted except in comparison and the default settings and manuals are wrong.

The fact I can not tell the difference between the ones I own may well be because they are all primarily AV dacs, two are by the same manufacture, and all three are within the same price range. So you would not expect there to be a massive difference anyway.

If I bought a dedicated cd player that was a price range higher than these machines I might stand a better chance of hearing a difference. When I buy a blu-ray player I will definetly not be taking it for granted that it will sound the same as my existing players.

Knightout, let me get this right. You have used different av amps which allow different sound settings and you have adjusted them so that they sound the same. Surely all you have done is find your optimal sound with each setup. I am sure I could adjust different amps with tone controls so that they too sound the same, especially if they are in the same price range and two are by the same manufacturer. You will easily find differences with a broader range of equipment.

A

Anonymous

idc:

Knightout, let me get this right. You have used different av amps which allow different sound settings and you have adjusted them so that they sound the same. Surely all you have done is find your optimal sound with each setup. I am sure I could adjust different amps with tone controls so that they too sound the same, especially if they are in the same price range and two are by the same manufacturer. You will easily find differences with a broader range of equipment.

No same AV Receiver using the same settings. No adjustment of tone controls - equalizer, bass boost, dsp modes, all were turned off. Signal being processed using AFD mode which according to the receiver manual is automatic format decode, no modification, as recorded on the disc. Speakers also not moved. By describing them as all sounding the same when the settings were optimize, I inadvertently confused you. What I should have said was when the settings were correct, not causing incorrect bass management or distortion.

Difference between using the Sony HD/DVD Recorders analogue outputs so its internal dac, and its coaxial digital output so using the Sony Recievers dac. Turned out to be caused by incorrect bass management. The Sony HD/DVD Recorders factory default setting on downmixing is dolby surround, according to the manual this should not have had any effect on non-dolby digital surround encoded tracks, it should also have no effect if the digital coaxial output is set to Dolby Digital for an off board decoder with dolby digital decoding, which it was. It should only have had an effect if the track was dolby digital encoded and the coaxial digital output is set for D-PCM for an off board decoder lacking Dolby digital decoding, both of which were not the case. However this setting did have an effect. For the analogue outputs the receiver did what it was suppose to on AFD. With the digital coaxial output the receiver was using different bass management on AFD. This became apparant when I switched the receiver to 2-Channel stereo mode (no subwoofer) as they then both sounded the same. With the Sony DVD/HD Recorder downmixing set to normal the Sony AV Receiver on AFD mode worked correctly (with the subwoofer), both analogue output from the Sony DVD/HD Recorder using its dac and the coaxial digital output using the Sony AV Recievers dac sounded indistinguishable.

The difference between the Panasonic DVD Player analogue outputs using its dac and the Sony HD/DVD Recorder analogue outputs using its dac or using its digital coaxial output so using the AV Recievers dac. Turned out to be caused by the Sony HD/DVD Recorders output voltage being too high for the Sony AV Reciever and causing some kind of distortion. The manufactures default setting is with Audio Attenuation off, the manual says it should not be used unless there is audible distortion. The manual also states that Audio Attenuation does not effect the digital coaxial output. There was audible distortion I just did not realize it untill I compared it to the Panasonic and even then did not immediately realize it was a form of distortion. The manual is also incorrect Audio Attenuation does effect its digital coaxial output as well as its analogue audio outputs. With audio attenuation set correctly, the sound between all three dacs was indistinguishable.

As I said in my previous post this maybe because all three machines are AV not audiophile and all are in the same price range, and two by the same manufacturer. I will not be assuming that just because I can not hear any difference that there is absolutely no difference, nor will I be assuming that there will not be a clear difference if I used a product designed for audio only and of a higher price range. As I also said when I buy a blu-ray player I will definetly be checking if it sounds indistinguishible to the components I already own, rather than assuming all cd players sound the same.

On a side note. If there was a difference between two players due to the better player having a supperior dac or analogue stage, so a less distorted signal - truer to whats on the cd. I do not see how you could make an inferior more distorted player sound the same, tone controls are not a form of noise reduction and if the player has failed to recover the information or has lost it due to distortion, it would not be there for the amp to recover anyway. The reason I was able to make the dacs all sound the same, was because I was removing distortion caused by incorrect bass management and from too high an output voltage, both these were done at the player not the receiver.

A

Anonymous

The following is paraphrased from an article by Collin Miller What we hear vs. What we perceive. It helped me understand why alot of people prefer personal try it and see over audio fidelity measurements.

Dynamic Range Compression

Some causes: compressor/limiter components in recording studios, "headroom" circuits, some tube circuits. Dynamic range of the format vinyl has less dynamic range than cd, and if a av amplifier is using dynamic range control correctly since cd playback has a different dynamic range to dvd dolby digital.

More Compression can make low level detail more apparant. The music may sound powerful and more dynamic, giving a sense of drive and impact. Dance club mixes apply compression. It can reduce problems with small amplifiers and speakers. Too much can make the music sound thick and heavy.

Less Compression can make the sound open and effortless but can strain the dynamic capabilites of the play back equipment and require playback at higher volume.

Harmonic Distortion

Some causes: loudspeakers, vinyl, under-powered amplifiers, valve amplifiers produce even order harmonics - pleasing to the ear - consonant. , some designs of valve amplifier and all solid state amplifiers produce odd ordered harmonics - irratating to the ear - dissonance.

Even order harmonics upto 1% THD may be desirable as they sound natural. Odd order harmonics 0.5% THD or less is desirable as they sound unnatural - irratating. Second order harmonics (twice the frequency of the fundamental frequency) can have a richening effect, adding an almost sweetened texture. Third order harmonics can add bite, heightening the perception of leading edge transients and dynamic shifts. Higher ordered distortion (such as fifth), without lower order distortion, can prove quite irritating. Harmonic distortion in relatively small amounts can add body and presence, making the undistorted sound in comparison seem dry, analytical, and sterile..

Frequency Response Dips Peaks and Dips

Some causes: loudspeakers with poorly tuned bass reflex systems, higher ordered crossovers constructed with poor tolerance drivers/crossover components, and/or drivers exhibiting significant diaphragm resonance and break-up.

Narrow band peaks can impart the illusion of more detail and dynamic contrast, as they will suddenly boost an aspect of a signal, drawing attention where it might have otherwise gone unnoticed. Narrow peaks may impress across the entire spectrum with an artificial snap or somewhat edgy type of clarity. Narrow dips prove much more difficult to pin point, unless the listener is so familiar with the program material to notice a subtle missing element.

Delay

Some causes: turntable playback, loudspeaker/room interaction

Delay of about 30 milliseconds or less, but it can continue to pile up before it dies out, resulting in reverberation. Adds aural cues about ambient space, which we interpret as spatial presence, and even more detail. Music becomes, more lively and dimensional. With too high a ratio of reflected (delayed) sound, localization can become ambiguous and confusing.

Low Frequency Roll-off

Some causes. Recordings do this selectively to tracks in a mix to punch up or lean out kick drums or the like. So that small boom boxes and lesser car stereos can play the result at higher volumes. Vinyl mastering.

A sharp cut-off of the lowest bass frequencies can alter content to sound tighter, and faster,.

High Frequency Roll-off

Some causes: devices that limit bandwidth near the audible range, electronics, loudspeakers, capacitive interconnects, inductive loudspeaker cables. Vinyl mastering

Usually gradual in nature. It can take the edge off, make things sound less "digital" and more "analog," even more refined. It may also improve the perceived focus of the center soundstage. .

High Frequency Rise

Some causes: narrowing high frequency dispersion in a loudspeaker, ringing in tweeters, interaction between an amplifier with a high output impedance and the uncompensated inductance of a tweeter, an amplifier with a poorly implemented negative feedback loop.

A gradual rise before the inevitable drop can lend a sense of excitement, snap, and dynamic energy. Gives the impression of more extension or high-end detail.

Phase Shifts

Some causes: poor tolerance drivers and/or crossover components, listening position.

Phase shifts are usually tied to frequency response deviations, which certainly have audible artifacts, and which may or may not be mistaken for effects of group delays (a group of frequencies is delayed in relation to others, hence a phase shift). In the stereo format, phase shifts between channels affects the perception of directionality. Make it sound more open.

idc

Knightout that is a very good summation and explanation of

- how hifi manufacturers can 'build' the sound of their equipment and how measurements could be used to predict how kit will sound. That was something I was unsure about, the link between how it measures and how it sounds.

- why synergy between components is so important. In the end you might a smooth sounding amp and exciting speakers that complement each other, or sound terrible. Again I see now how measurements and listening will complement each other. I shall maybe start to buy Hifi Choice. Oh did I type that out loud?!

manicm

knighout, Collin Miller gives good definitions but I entirely disagree with the results of High-frequency rolloff.

To my ears this has never had a positive effect on music and his results here are entirely subjective - 'more analogue, less digital' - this is a joke.

There can be frequency rolloff on analogue equipment as well.

A

Anonymous

With Vinyl it has to be the best stylus I can afford. I by and use post 1970 amps and turntables but still strive for the best quality of sound. My seperates cost me over ten grand and I spent days finding the best listening area I could and am certainly not disappointed. My CD player has not let me down yet have my floor speakers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts