£3500 to spend on a display ... but what on???

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear All, I would like some help in deciding which route to spend my hard earned money on. I am looking to upgrade my cinematic experience by replacing my 42" Samsung RPTV with something with a bit more "wow, that looks awsome" factor. I have made my mind up so many times as to which option I am going for, even upsetting sales staff by changing my mind just before handing over the cash. I am hoping to get some clear, rationale advice as to the pros and cons for each option below: 1) 50-52" LCD/Plasma TV (e.g. Sony KDL-52X3500, Pioneer LX-508XD, etc) 2) 50-52" Plasma Monitor (e.g. Panasonic TH50PF10, Fujitsu, etc) 3) Full budget on a Projector (inc. screen and cables) 4) Option 2 but with a video processor as well (e.g. Lumagen/Crystallio) 5) Option 3 but cheaper projector and video processor As stated in the title, I have up to £3500 to spend and have key objectives to get from the solution: a) It should be capable of delivering the best picture quality for the money b) It should be capable of displaying SD and HD content without issue (Blu-Ray and DVD source material) c) Wherever possible, it should also have an upgrade path The room is adequately sized for screen sizes of 108" (PJ) 55"(TV) and has sufficient light control. I spend 98% of my viewing time watching DVD and Blu-Ray content. I do not watch sports of any description. Any thoughts as to the best route to proceed down?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Definitely a projector - bigger picture and better quality for your money.

There's a Group Test of projectors in the £2000-£3000 price point in our next issue, out March 6th - pair the winner of that with a decent screen and you'll be in 80in+ Full HD heaven, for within your budget.

I moved from a (36in) TV to a projector (now have 80in screen) four years ago, and have never looked back - if you've got the right source and light management sorted (either dark room or high-gain screen) it makes everything so much more involving.

The upgrade path when you choose a Full HD projector of this calibre is enabling bigger and better screens as you can afford them.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare for the swift and decisive response.

Two follow-on questions:

1) Should I look at a Video Processor as a future upgrade or steer away from them and just get a better projector?

2) Do you have any recommendations on screens? I have looked at DaLite, Lumene and Stewart screens, but get baffled by science till I end up wanting a screen worth more than the projector. (A section on gain, screen colour, aspect ratios and motorised vs. fixed vs. pull down/up would be appreciated :eek:) )

I look forward to my copy of WHF hitting my mailbox soon and checking out the group test (You always seem to have uncanny timing for these things).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about your future upgrade until you need to - projectors and processors will have both moved on by the time you want/need to buy again, plus other video processing options (notably ones built into receivers) are also progressing apace, so that might be another option.

Re screens - we've been planning something for a while, actually. Will get onto the test guys to see how that's coming along. In the meantime, i'd say all the brands you mention are great.

Enjoy the test - any follow-up questions, let us know!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts