Upscaled DVD and what to look for

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am sure that many people will be in the same situation as myself which is with a decent amount of standard definition DVDs that we want to watch at their absolute best. Most of us probably do/will own an upscaling DVD be it a DVD player, DVD recorder or Hi Def player.

Many reviews state that one model is good or great or not so good but I have yet to read a comprehensive review that actually details what each player does well or not.

What results are actually achievable? What are the main points to look out for? I have a Denon 1930, Panasonic EX77 160GB recorder and a Panasonic BD30 Blu ray. All are capable of sending a 1080P picture to my Panasonic PZ85 (which is obviously capable of doing the job itself).

The first I owned was the Denon and I was reasonably pleased with the 720P feed to my 32LXD700. Then came the recorder and I felt it was slightly behind the Denon for colour reproduction. When I say slight, I mean slight! Overall sharpness may have been better on the Denon. The BD30 seemed to do ass good a job as the Denon on the LCD and actually gave better colour results on the PZ85. Sharpness again seems OK and may or may not be better than the Denon.

All of them show occasional, slight jaggies on diagonal lines with the BD30 possibly being the least affected. However, all leave room for improvement.

As I am sure everyone will agree there are times that you watch DVDs where all factors (light, mood, etc. etc.) seem to be aligned and you can lose yourself in the film and just enjoy it. At other times, you find yourself being critical of the picture.

To get the best and most consistent performance from SD DVDs what criteria should be employed to assess? I know that the best tool is actually your own eyes but you will not notice everything over a handful of auditions.

I know that there are some very expensive DVD players but surely the law of diminishing returns applies here?

Anyone's thoughts and hopefully useful information, test discs etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I tested my Denon 1940 dvd player against Sky Movies HD. The Departed was on in HD and I have the dvd. I did many checks to see what differences there were. I used Sky HD because when it's good (Lost, Movies in HD, football) it's very good. The result for me was that the dvd was a smidge better. Very very close as well. I was happy with this. An upscaled 1080p isn't a Bluray 1080p. So for it to be as good and a tiny bit better than 1080i, I was impressed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts