What LCD to buy?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm confident that someone will be able to help me. I've been salivating over the prospect of having a 32' LCD tv for some time now and was going to wait until the January 08 Sales, however, my very old JVC crt has finally decided to make it's way to the CRT graveyard. So, you can say that my decision to purchase an LCD tv has sort of been made for me. I have to say that I have a pretty low budget, don't we all, but have whittled it down to two models, the Samsung L32R87BD or Toshiba 32C3035. I know that the Samsung comes highly recommended but wondered if I would also be happy with the Toshiba, given that it is slightly cheaper? Therein lies my dilemma. If there are any other recommendations in this price bracket, your views will be welcomed. Thanks.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
They are both good sets, but the Samsung is definitely worth it - that's why it won our budget 32in Award winner, following a huge Supertest where it was reviewed side-by-side with the Toshiba (and many others!)

A

Anonymous

Thank you so much, Clare. The only thing I have to decide now is where to buy from (just seen it for £488 on Amazon website) and what cabling I need to get? Any chance of some pointers in the right direction?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Dixons are selling it for £467 if you type the code SAVE5 in at the Checkout stage (normal price £492; free delivery). Yes, they call it the R88, but it's the same set.

Re cables - what are you planning to hook up?

A

Anonymous

Well, I've yet to open the box for a Sony DVD player (DVP-NS29). Not sure how it'll perform yet but hope that I get some relatively good play out of it? I also have a Yamaha RX-V100D AV Receiver but have yet to invest in a speaker set, due to the size of my lounge, in one bedroom flat. Having said that I still have a pair of old KEF concords, which still perform really well, when playing CDs, just as a side issue. What do you suggest?

A

Anonymous

Clare, I'm hoping that you'll be able to give me some guidance, based on the additional information I have provided. Thanks for your help.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Scart cable from DVD player to TV, electrical digital from DVD player to receiver for sound

Optical digital cable from output on rear of TV to receiver to carry TV sound.

That's about it.

Speakers? KEF KHT1005s would be a good start, or the likes of the Mordaunt-Short Genies or Q Acoustics' entry-level 5.1 package if the budget will stretch.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I am also in the same position between these two sets. I realise that the Samsung beat the Toshiba 32c3030db in your tests, but it seems that toshiba has another new set, 32c3035db set which sells for approx £430 incl delivery from Empire Direct when a discount code is applied, otherwise it can be obtained for roughly £440 elsewhere. In any case it is considerably cheaper than the Samsung as far as budget TVs are concerned. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this new model?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts