What is the best lossless codec to use with windows media centre on vista?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, I have around 100 cd's I want to rip to my computer using a lossless format. I will be using windows media centre as I like the interface on the TV using the remote control. In the future I will be adding either a squeezebox duet or a sonos for playback in another room so the formate I use will need to be compatable with these.

I have already got all of my music ripped at 128kps but I wanted to know the best to use before I got though the process of deleting what is one there and ripping all of the cds again.

I have been reading about flac and this seems the way to go at present but will this work with windows media centre on vista?

Thanks any help or advice would be great!

John Duncan

Tricky. I'd immediately say WMA Lossless, but I'm aware of some media clients that don't support it. FLAC would be the obvious other option, but I'll need to check WMC compatibility, hang on.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response, what you be the advantages and disadvantages between wma & flac?

John Duncan

Greater compatibility, no other reason - FLAC is handled by most of the streamers out there, whereas WMA lossless is not (or at least there are some high profile streamers out there that do not).

However, WMA Lossless would certainly be easy, and could also trivially be converted in bulk to another lossless codec if you wished using something like DBPowerAmp, if you found in future that the streamer of your choice didn't support WMA lossless.

Sound quality would be identical, whichever you choose.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Tricky. I'd immediately say WMA Lossless, but I'm aware of some media clients that don't support it. FLAC would be the obvious other option, but I'll need to check WMC compatibility, hang on.

You might have some issues with FLAC and also WAV. I've used both with WMC but I did have a few problems with them with some not streaming to my extender. WMA Lossless doesn't present any such problems, the files are smaller and when your rip your cds using WMP, all the album art etc., is done automatically.

A

Anonymous

So if i am using windows nedia centre and generally microsoft rather than apples itunes etc I should be ok with wma. what if in the future I wanted an ipod, does wma work with itunes?

A

Anonymous

I think i will go with wma lossless then. especially if they can be converted later. thanks for the help.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
m1rfy:
I think i will go with wma lossless then. especially if they can be converted later. thanks for the help.

Yep, the software JD mentions is great. You can convert to and forth, flac, wav, apple lossless, wma lossless and you don't lose any quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts