Is the WiiM Mini right for me?

WayneKerr

Bit of history: I only stream Spotify to find new music and then purchase and rip the CD if I find something I like. I stream ripped CD files via an old Windows Vista PC, recently the PC had a senior moment and decided it didn’t like Spotify, I tried reinstalling but the OS is no longer supported.

I’m now looking for a cheap alternative streaming solution and have stumbled across the Mini. I’m only interested in Spotify free and it would appear that the Mini has Spotify installed and controlled via the app, is this correct and am I looking in the right direction for a fix? Would the Pro more suit my requirements?

I will not be using the DAC in either of the WiiM’s.

In anticipation may I thank you for your comments, advice, and contribution (y)

Hi Doug,

It looks like nobody knows the answer! I’ve never even seen one, much less heard one. But there’s lots of internet buzz about them, which makes me a bit wary.

Of course it might be ideal, and it’s not a huge investment in the context of your kit. But I’m never sure what support you might get with warranty, firmware and so on. Not that that bothered me when my first foray into streaming was the discontinued Logitech Touch, so you pays your money…

I see there are refurb ones on eBay for £60, so you could take a punt…?

WayneKerr

Thanks nopiano and Hugh (y) I too thought there were some owners on here, apparently not. There was one other reply but for some reason it was deleted.

At the price I think it's worth a punt. I was leaning towards the Pro to connect the TV as well but apparently there are sync issues with TV connection so think I'll just stick with the Mini as I only need a simple streamer for occasional Spotify use.

Thank you again gents (y)

Reactions: Hugh Jarse

Juzzie Wuzzie

One thing to double check is that you can stream to it via Spotify Connect when on the Spotify free tier. I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that you had to be on a paid tier to get Spotify Connect?

My research on the WiiM products is that they making a good streaming transport, but need an external DAC to shine. That said, the NAD CS 1 is thought of in the same way ... good transport, lousy DAC.

Hugh Jarse

Jan 22, 2022
Visit site
One thing to double check is that you can stream to it via Spotify Connect when on the Spotify free tier. I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that you had to be on a paid tier to get Spotify Connect?
I think you're correct that at one time using their 'connect' facility meant paying.
But I've got a feeling it works on the free version now.....and I think I saw specific mention in a Wiim description (somewhere) that they on work on Spotify Free 🤔.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
According to Amazon...

Now I think about it. In sure you need to subscribe to cast to units.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230523_125142_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230523_125142_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 6

WayneKerr

Thank you all.

In light of above and maybe more research needed, initially I may just use a 3.5 headphone out to twin RCA cable, (which I already have somewhere), to an amp input and see how I get on. I'll be using the DAC in the phone, which is probably pants... the mic definitely is :)

manicm

I have the Wiim Mini, and since you said you have no intention of using its internal DAC, I'm assuming you're using a DAC elsewhere - which is absolutely great - connect through optical, download the app and off you go.

The Wiim Mini has Spotify and Tidal Connect, which means you can connect to the Wiim directly through either of the two native music apps to play music.

The Wiim's own app is for initial setup, firmware upgrades, and also lets you choose between variable and fixed output. The latter is the one you want for bit perfect playback. It also lets you choose the maximum bitrate and depth.

Spotify free now allows Connect.

For the price it sounds great and can't really complain.

Last edited:

manicm

Thanks manicm (y)will it work with Spotify free version as I don't particularly wan't a subscription. Apologies if this is a dumb question.
No, not a dumb question at all. I believe Spotify free now supports Connect too.

Regarding your connection, you ultimately want to stream via your amp? In that case you'd bypass your phone that you mentioned, and connect the Wiim directly to your amp with the 3.5 to RCA.

That will simplify your setup greatly, You maybe can connect to your phone, but that seems quite complicated.

Caution though, as it's accepted that the DAC in the Wiim is not great. I'm using the optical output which bypasses its DAC.

WayneKerr

No, not a dumb question at all. I believe Spotify free now supports Connect too.

Regarding your connection, you ultimately want to stream via your amp? In that case you'd bypass your phone that you mentioned, and connect the Wiim directly to your amp with the 3.5 to RCA.

That will simplify your setup greatly, You maybe can connect to your phone, but that seems quite complicated.

Caution though, as it's accepted that the DAC in the Wiim is not great. I'm using the optical output which bypasses its DAC.
Thank you. My original intention was to use the optical out on the Wiim to my DAC (y)

Witterings

Just to confirm Spotify free does support Connect.
Not sure where you're storing yoru ripped CD's but you can also stream locally stored media to the WiiM either with it's own App of using Mconnect or BubbleUPnP.

You might get one and find you have more uses for it over time so may possibly be worth looking at the Pro.
Ethernet connection will always be better than WiFi, as you say you use the optical in for your TV and if ever you wanted to multiroom in the future or looked at an alternative steaming service the Pro will multiroom at higher resolution than the mini.

manicm

Just to confirm Spotify free does support Connect.
Not sure where you're storing yoru ripped CD's but you can also stream locally stored media to the WiiM either with it's own App of using Mconnect or BubbleUPnP.

You might get one and find you have more uses for it over time so may possibly be worth looking at the Pro.
Ethernet connection will always be better than WiFi, as you say you use the optical in for your TV and if ever you wanted to multiroom in the future or looked at an alternative steaming service the Pro will multiroom at higher resolution than the mini.

From everything I've read and gleaned the Pro is still a budget device. Its internal DAC is still not great, yes it has coaxial and ethernet, but really, at 150 quid is anyone really bothered with those two ports?

And if one really wants to use ethernet, then really in general you'd want get a streamer several levels up.

I have the Mini, and really, if I want to step up, the Pro would not be it. Bluntly put, it's not worth it over its cheaper sibling. I'd rather look at something like the NAD CS1, where a big deal is made about its DAC.

Reactions: WayneKerr

Dr-G

Sep 9, 2022
Visit site
Late to the thread, but I'll just pile on and agree with Witterings and manicm.
I have the mini and it's been a great purchase. I use the optical out, and the Wiim app to stream Tidal, Soundcloud and from my NAS.
The unit is fast to start up and Wifi connection is solid over extended playing.
Alternatively, it also shows up as an Airplay speaker option on my iphone, and so I can multi-room with the ATV4 at the other end of the house using any app on my phone. Which is nice.
I have used a few streaming solutions including headless ATV3 and Raumfeld, but as a transport the Wiim is easier to use and very reliable. Recommend.

WayneKerr

Just an update on the final outcome. Decided to purchase a new HP mini PC, (factory refurbished), for £50 more than a Wiim Pro. Bit of an overkill but works great for me as surely a PC is the most versatile streamer you can buy. Still loathe streaming services but have discovered I can get Amazon Music free with my Prime membership, which I find preferable to Spotify.

Many thanks to all for your contributions (y)

Reactions: Revolutions

record_spot

I'm not quite convinced that connecting the phone is complicated in these scenarios, assuming that the Wiim doesn't make the process additionally troublesome.

I hook up my phone to my Cambridge DACMagic 200M, either via Bluetooth or via a direct wired connection and depending on the purposes I'm listening for. Neither are any more problematic that any other bit of kit.

Witterings

From everything I've read and gleaned the Pro is still a budget device. Its internal DAC is still not great, yes it has coaxial and ethernet, but really, at 150 quid is anyone really bothered with those two ports?

And if one really wants to use ethernet, then really in general you'd want get a streamer several levels up.

I have the Mini, and really, if I want to step up, the Pro would not be it. Bluntly put, it's not worth it over its cheaper sibling. I'd rather look at something like the NAD CS1, where a big deal is made about its DAC.

As someone's resurected this thread .... you now have the option of the WiiM Pro Plus ... apparently with an incredibly good DAC and cheaper than the NAD with all the compatibilty in terms of streaming services the NAD offers but also with the option to cast gapless Amazon Ultra HD and it's £90 less.

Just saying :giggle:

manicm

As someone's resurected this thread .... you now have the option of the WiiM Pro Plus ... apparently with an incredibly good DAC and cheaper than the NAD with all the compatibilty in terms of streaming services the NAD offers but also with the option to cast gapless Amazon Ultra HD and it's £90 less.

Just saying :giggle:

I've read several reviews, and they're mixed on the Plus DAC. I stand by what I said. Contrast this with the Eversolo and the Eversolo Master Edition. It's almost unanimous that the Master has a fuller sound while maintaining the detail and soundstage.

My point is 50 quid more can only get you so far, without upgrading other components beside the DAC chip.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts