SYSTEM WIDE, lossless streaming on Android devices?

90110n

Dec 27, 2023
Visit site
What I'm looking for is effectively any system wide audio streaming solution, that'll transfer audio content lossless from Android to any sort of receiver I can connect to my amp. Effectively like aptX Bluetooth streaming from my Samsung, except hardware / chipset independent and lossless at at least 48kHz (which means no crappy lossy compression applied anywhere in the audio chain).

My Samsung Note 10 Lite for instance supports aptX, but only at 44.1kHz.

This will only be possible though WiFi, but any sort of solution I've seen is completely proprietary like embedded streaming support in Quobuz, Spotify, etc. apps that at the end of the day your amp needs to support and doesn't give you any freedom to stream audio system wide (which should be the norm!).

I have a Chromecast with Google TV, and even though I've read it can output 48kHz perfectly fine it apparently is not possible to use the device for audio streaming?

There's some sort of guide by Google that explains how to do this using the Google Home app, but apparently this only works for Chromecast for Audio devices? (I got one with Google TV and there's no option to use the dongle as receiver in the Settings menu).

So, is this really only possible by limiting yourself to particular apps like Spotify or Qobuz, or does a system wide solution exist in any way for Android devices?

Witterings

Sounds like you want some sort of a streamer but where you say from an Android device, is that music stored on the phone / tablet or TV box??

I had Chromecast audio devices but as you say they have some limitaions, I changed to a WiiM Pro streamer as it lets you stream from an Android or Apple device using them to control the streamer that gets the music directly from the streaming service providers servers rather than "relayed" via the phone so better quality.

You can use the WiiM App to control / play music stored locally or Bubble UPNP / MConnect which are better ... depending if you're Android or Apple.

Fandango Andy

What I'm looking for is effectively any system wide audio streaming solution, that'll transfer audio content lossless from Android to any sort of receiver I can connect to my amp. Effectively like aptX Bluetooth streaming from my Samsung, except hardware / chipset independent and lossless at at least 48kHz (which means no crappy lossy compression applied anywhere in the audio chain).

My Samsung Note 10 Lite for instance supports aptX, but only at 44.1kHz.

This will only be possible though WiFi, but any sort of solution I've seen is completely proprietary like embedded streaming support in Quobuz, Spotify, etc. apps that at the end of the day your amp needs to support and doesn't give you any freedom to stream audio system wide (which should be the norm!).

I have a Chromecast with Google TV, and even though I've read it can output 48kHz perfectly fine it apparently is not possible to use the device for audio streaming?

There's some sort of guide by Google that explains how to do this using the Google Home app, but apparently this only works for Chromecast for Audio devices? (I got one with Google TV and there's no option to use the dongle as receiver in the Settings menu).

So, is this really only possible by limiting yourself to particular apps like Spotify or Qobuz, or does a system wide solution exist in any way for Android devices?
Are you streaming, or is the music stored on your phone?

If you are streaming, any half decent streamer will do the job. If the files are saved on your phone, chromecast is probably the way to go. Some devices have it built in. You can pick up a refurbished chromecast audio for £30. Or, I belive WiiM Pro and Pro Pluss have chromecast, WiiM Mini doesn't.

TRENDING THREADS