What HIFI Ultimate Guides (5 star winners....)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was reading "What HIFI Ultimate Guides (5 star winners....)" today! OK so its probably been out in the UK for some time but bare with me ...

I was a little surprised at the very generous Cyrus CD players and amp reviews, notably the CD6/CD8x/6vs2/CD8vs2. All of which are 5 star products, but not to say they arent very good also. These products recieved almost flawless reviews, with their traditional weakness's dimmed way down. Sure the CD8vs2 is a good amp but,... Each to their own of course, but many view Cyrus as been a tad bright. Sure Cyrus is good but at least here in NZ, the dealers prefer Arcam/Naim and suggest Cyrus "still worth a listen", and suggest some decent Rotel to compare against Cyrus to save a few $.

A couple products that I thought were missing was the Cambridge 840c? Its mentioned a couple times with the 740c. Also the Arcam FMJ 36 cd player wasnt mentioned? Surely it would be at least as good as Cyrus CD8x/Naim CD5x, as its perhaps the most revealing of these players.

Over all I think its a very good mag, and is interesting to compare reviews against other leading mags. Some other mags seem to be to "pro naim", and good to see Cambridge 740 didnt get 5 stars for once. I spose all reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt, given that Cyrus advertise in this mag, and Naim in competitors mags, both get 5 stars respectively.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am sure Andrew will have a good explaination (utimate guides from the ultimate guy!).

My bro took my copy so I haven't got one to hand but I can imagine Cyrus here, there and everywhere. All I can think is Cyrus house sound is suited to WHF's tester's ears. and I sincerely hope that advertising have nothing to do with it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The reviews are taken from the main magazine, as are the star ratings. If WHFSV hasn't tested it, it tends not to go in. And no need to hope sincerely, Thaiman - advertising has no effect whatsoever.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
The CA 840C was missing because it was rated 4 stars in a test. Personally, I did a direct comparison of the 840C against the Cyrus CD6s using very revealing ATC speakers, and both my friend and I thought that the CD6s was clearly better. So either we have similar ears to the WHF testers' ears, or there might actually be some truth in their opinion.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

The reviews are taken from the main magazine, as are the star ratings. If WHFSV hasn't tested it, it tends not to go in. And no need to hope sincerely, Thaiman - advertising has no effect whatsoever.

[/quote]

I knew that but it wasn't my place to say it for definitely! no doubt from here my friend.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If anyone still has any lingering - and it has to be reiterated, utterly unfounded - doubts re links between advertising and editorial, maybe they should study the current, October issue.

Mission - who have taken a premium advertising position on our back covers for some months now - get a two-star review for the very series of systems advertised in that issue....

A

Anonymous

What do Mission think they're doing? They used to have a good rep, don't they listen to their own kit? They MUST have known it was going to be panned, they simply must have! So why produce rubbish? B&W would never do that. Muppets.

A

Anonymous

And of the Arcam CD 36? I spose only enough room for so many players?

A

Anonymous

I know a lot of people jump on the old chestnut that advertising buys reviews,maybe it does in some cases,but generally it doesn't.

But I do agree there is too much praise on Cyrus,QED cables,and Monitor Audio,and I'd would like to see a bit more diversity,i've heard a good few products the I found much better sounding IMHO.

A

Anonymous

I've been a WHF reader for over 10 years now and have bought dozens of equipment without auditioning as I used to live in Karachi where I can't buy big brands so my friends used to buy me stuff from Singapore purely on the basis of WHF star ratings and I can swear I've neven been disappointed.

I must say for Audiophiles music is a religion and nobody messes around with it so it's B...sh.t that ratings are influenced by advertising.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts