WHAT HIFI LASTEST EDITION

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Just like to say big up to what hifi on the lastest edition. Lots variety & interesting stuff to read. The Dragonfly from audioqest to the chord hd, & lots of headphones. It was a nice read.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
Its looking like the thinnest issue ever. Am I imagining it, or is this magazine losing pages. I am sure I remember almost breaking a wrist trying to pick up WHF one handed some years ago, or is it just thinner paper etc...........

I have to say that I have become disappointed with its almost repeat TV content, its quite samey every month and having subscribed for years, I think may change soon.....I might buy something with ships in it.....

Seriously, I loved this mag and used to be poised by the letterbox waiting for it, now I come in from work, toss it in the magazine rack and read it a few days later in about thirty minutes tops. I dont even keep the back copies anymore, they get tossed pretty sharply.

Even the horrid little man at Portsmouth recycling centre doesnt leap a the back copies when I ditch them like he does with most every other broken item I take there.

I feel saddened, but relieved to cut my subscription, I knew I was wasting my money, but the ties where so deep, bye bye WHF mag and thanks for the memories........

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Not enough Hifi to many phones tvs etc the last copy that I got was just the best amps which was just reviews from over the last year or so . I now have a quick flick at sainsburys to see if its worth my hard earned I used to just buy it read it from cover to cover . I must say that this forum is the best guide so thanks guys:cheers: :cheers:

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I no longer automatically buy any magazine. I immediately jumped straight to that Dragonfly review so the cover must have been pretty effective.

As for not being exclusively HiFi - it would have died long ago as would most shops that didn't also sell TVs. You can't run any magazine unless it's about pensions for the forty/fifty plus male population if you want to survive. Expect to see more phone reviews in future issues. Most magazines are fighting for their very existence.

I thought it one of the best recent issues - good work guys!

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I must admit after the last few issues I wasn't going to buy this issue, but I gave in due to the headphone review. Wish I hadn't bothered, most of the line up was just past reviews slapped together to fill a couple of pages, very disappointing. Next time I'll thumb the magazine in the shop, read the few pages of interest and put it back on the shelf. Unfortunately it doesn't warrant the £4.75 price tag any more.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
toyota man said:
Not enough Hifi to many phones tvs etc the last copy that I got was just the best amps which was just reviews from over the last year or so . I now have a quick flick at sainsburys to see if its worth my hard earned I used to just buy it read it from cover to cover . I must say that this forum is the best guide so thanks guys:cheers: :cheers:

I guess the problem is that if we don't buy the magazine there won't be a forum!

Chris

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I rather enjoyed it, but it's the first time I've actually bought the mag so can't compare it to previous editions. I expect there are plenty of people buying the mag for the first time because they've got a taste for it through the forums.

The Dragonfly review made me want to buy a smartphone with a standard USB connection. I don't suppose such a thing exists though.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Next time I'll thumb the magazine in the shop, read the few pages of interest and put it back on the shelf.

Amazingly, in the supermarket this aftermoon, I witnessed a woman taking a can of spray deodorant from the shelf, sticking it up her T-shirt to spray each armpit in turn, then puttng it back on ths shelf. Some people, eh?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
eggontoast said:
Next time I'll thumb the magazine in the shop, read the few pages of interest and put it back on the shelf.

Amazingly, in the supermarket this aftermoon, I witnessed a woman taking a can of spray deodorant from the shelf, sticking it up her T-shirt to spray each armpit in turn, then puttng it back on ths shelf. Some people, eh?

That's the pits!

You should have filmed the event with a digital camera for YouTube (before placing it back in it's box on the shelf).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't get me started: people who stand there bold as brass, read all the bits they want then put it back, dog-eared and 'used' for someone else to buy, wind me up no end. It'a shop not a bloody library.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby said:
You should have filmed the event with a digital camera for YouTube (before placing it back in it's box on the shelf).

And then uploaded it using a computer the shop was selling, before putting it back on the shelf? Sorry, was too busy making myself a sandwich with ham, cheese and bread and butter, before putting the leftovers back on the shelf. Did wipe the knife with a couple of sheets I nicked from a roll I put back on the shelf, before putting it back in the 'four place settings for £6.99' – ripoff merchants! |( – boxset, though.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Don't get me started: people who stand there bold as brass, read all the bits they want then put it back, dog-eared and 'used' for someone else to buy, wind me up no end. It'a shop not a bloody library.
Oh, I feel terrible............... :rofl: If I see you watching while I'm doing it I'll scratch me bum if you like ;)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
chebby said:

And then uploaded it using a computer the shop was selling, before putting it back on the shelf? Sorry, was too busy making myself a sandwich with ham, cheese and bread and butter, before putting the leftovers back on the shelf. Did wipe the knife with a couple of sheets I nicked from a roll I put back on the shelf, before putting it back in the 'four place settings for £6.99' – ripoff merchants! |( – boxset, though.

:)

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
God i hate those plebs that block up the magazine stands just stood there reading with no intent on buying, these are probably the same people stood there scratching their heads wondering why the economys in a right old state. Yeah dont buy things just bloody borrow or steal and put another company out of bussiness.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
simon3102000 said:
God i hate those plebs that block up the magazine stands just stood there reading with no intent on buying, these are probably the same people stood there scratching their heads wondering why the economys in a right old state. Yeah dont buy things just bloody borrow or steal and put another company out of bussiness.

nice system by the way:rockout:

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

Yes , but it is a HI FI magazine , aren't you supposed to try it out before you buy it ? Maybe even arrange a home viewing before commiting to buy ?

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:

Must have been Tesco, Asda customers wouldn't dream of using deoderant.

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Woodster and other post here. I used to wait for WHF, it used to be exciting in some ways to open letter box and find new edition and prepare for a proper, long Saturday read with favourite music in the background. Unfortunately what is left now is only my favourite music.

I have dedicated shelf for WHF mags and I like to go back and read previous editions . However I find it becomes a very rear occasion now. New editions are full of repeats, the same articles, same TVs all over and over again. I appreciate that seasonal new product arrivals dictate the content of the mag, but filling pages with repeats shows that ideas had run out. I still read 2011 editions sometime, but last 6 mags stand dusty in far corner making more room for Hi-Fi choice and other mags. Shame.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
MajorFubar said:

Yes , but it is a HI FI magazine , aren't you supposed to try it out before you buy it ? Maybe even arrange a home viewing before commiting to buy ?

You need to carefully arrange it on 4 pieces of plastic foam that you paid a king's ransom for and then compare your arrangement with other enthusiasts who have done the same thing. :rofl:

Chris

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
MajorFubar said:

lol! There's a difference between spending 30sec flicking through it to see if it'll take your fancy and standing there blocking other people for five minutes or more while you read a full article. It's the latter people I'd happily throw out the shop if I was the manager, not the former.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts