WHAT HIFI LASTEST EDITION

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
7970400840_b8ed82d90b_o.jpg

:grin: That strap line is a little more strident than WHF could get away with now! Direct modern equivalent might be 'suggests to you some excellent hifi to audition'?

idc

Then once you have made a purchase and decide there is more to hifi than just making a purchase once a decade, you have the forum for the additional knowledge and way more detail.

Its a win, win AFAIAK. :)

matthewpiano

Unless you allow the balance to become skewed and forget that there is far more to life than hi-fi. I'm taking a more casual interest in hi-fi for the forseeable and focusing on other things (especially now I've got an amazing sounding system that I love listening to).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
I have these on the way from 1978 ...

... They should arrive in a couple of days hopefully.

The What Hi-fi? September 1978 issue should be particularly interesting for the budget turntable review.

It pre-dates my interest in hi-fi by a couple of years (i'd only just left school) but I think some of those TTs were still being sold when I bought my first system a couple of years later. (Hard to tell for sure from the small pic.)

Comparing the editorial content/writing/reviewing with a recent issue of What Hi-fi? - thirty four years later - is going to be interesting.

I see a list of speakers brands listed that I remember listening to around that time....I went with Kubs, but remember liking all three (that is, if I'm right).

Goodmans (Maxim?); Tangent (SPL1?); Keesonic (Kubs?)

I can't remember the price of TTs, but the Dual CS 505, Trio KD 1033 and Sansui SR222 Mk2 were the standard recommendations back then.

Please pass on your thoughts.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
busb said:
I was having lunch in a Moroccan restaurant down the Royal Mile with the friends I was visiting. A young couple at an adjacent table decided that they didn't like one course so refused to pay for it - having eaten it. Yup some people. We all walked out in disgust.
smiley-innocent.gif

I realise that this is a bit off topic, but the young couple you mention were maybe visitors to Edinburgh during the Festival. I can't believe that Edinburghers would behave so badly, ha-ha! Still, I'm not sure how it helped the Moroccan restaurant by you and your friends walking out ...??

Yeah, hope you paid first.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
chebby said:
I have these on the way from 1978 ...

... They should arrive in a couple of days hopefully.

The What Hi-fi? September 1978 issue should be particularly interesting for the budget turntable review.

It pre-dates my interest in hi-fi by a couple of years (i'd only just left school) but I think some of those TTs were still being sold when I bought my first system a couple of years later. (Hard to tell for sure from the small pic.)

Comparing the editorial content/writing/reviewing with a recent issue of What Hi-fi? - thirty four years later - is going to be interesting.

I see a list of speakers brands listed that I remember listening to around that time....I went with Kubs, but remember liking all three (that is, if I'm right).

Goodmans (Maxim?); Tangent (SPL1?); Keesonic (Kubs?)

I can't remember the price of TTs, but the Dual CS 505, Trio KD 1033 and Sansui SR222 Mk2 were the standard recommendations back then.

Please pass on your thoughts.

Hi Chebby

Have your magazines arrived?......and if so, may I ask what the "must have" kit was back then, as well as any other feedback you might have?

I like you, find this stuff interesting.

Many thanks

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts