What are you listening to?

Page 134 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

last cd the night .... something mellow

History ... America's Greatest Hits

idc

Now found some Australian prog, well according to my big list it is. Dead Can Dance and the album 'Within the Realm of a Dying Sun' released in 1986. It is orchestral and could easily be a soundtrack. It reminds me of The Damned when they get anthemic such as on The Curtain Call. Its not bad, but it is no wonder that prog had its weakest years in the 1980s.

41lPlnHTnUL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

idc

Back on track again and back to Sweden with the superb Beardfish. Like Anekdoten the influence is early 1970s King Crimson/Genesis, but they too pull it off and are not just copy cat. The sound is original, the compositions interesting and both musicianship and the standard of recording is superb. I'm going to move to Sweden. To think for years all I though Sweden ever gave us was Abba.

51%2BHAduvssL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

idc

From Italy and Astra. Made up of members of various Italian prog metal bands they originally started out as a Dream Theater tribute band. This is their second own compositions album and if you like Dream Theater.........

41yjUloamOL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
radar.jpg

Breathing Space - `Below The Radar` (cd) Third offering from Iain Jennings(Mostly Autumn) side project Breathing Space. Only second listening but already sounding pretty promising. Early days but standout track at the moment appears to be `The Night Takes You Home`.

idc

A jazzy 'Yes' style album from Sweden's Karmakanic. There are some fantastic grooves and instrumentals, without going over the top. The Black Bonzo and the heavy prog fest of Sound of the Apocalypse...

6162HGtU9xL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
41Tenv6v-BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
IntheCourtoftheCrimsonKing.jpg

Planetary_Duality.jpg

40 years seperate them but they're both great albums. I think 'The Faceless' has more kick drums in the first song than the entire K.C back catalogue though.
emotion-14.gif

idc

Fever Ray and The Knife are both lined up for further listening. I can't get into Ozric Tentacles though. One of those odd ones where I should like them, I like FSOL after-all, but they just don't work for me. Next up is more traditional prog rock with Ritual...

61SCiG%2BMbML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

daveh75

idc:

Fever Ray and The Knife are both lined up for further listening. I can't get into Ozric Tentacles though. One of those odd ones where I should like them, I like FSOL after-all, but they just don't work for me. Next up is more traditional prog rock with Ritual...OT are very much an acquired taste, think my love of them probably comes from my chemically enhanced mis-spent youth!!!!
emotion-5.gif

I only discovered(on Spotify) Fever Ray/The Knife yesterday, and as of yet un-decided whether i prefer Karin Dreijer Andersson's(Fever Ray) solo effort, or with her brother Olof (as The knife)

idc

daveh75:.......OT are very much an acquired taste, think my love of them probably comes from my chemically enhanced mis-spent youth!!!!
emotion-5.gif

My mis-spent chemically enhanced youth was spent on the high of music alone! Getting goosebumps from the thrill of a particular track is my LSD.

idc

Hammill, if you like King Crimson try Anekdoten, my new favourite band.

Presently listening to Bill Laswells bass lead, eastern influenced instrumental album Hear No Evil. It reminds me of the John Paul Jones album 'Zooma'. Then The Pineapple Thief compilation 3000 Days, which if you like mellower, more accoustic Radiohead is well worth a listen.

51z1Z7KeavL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
61oxIU0zP%2BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
idc:

Hammill, if you like King Crimson try Anekdoten, my new favourite band.

Presently listening to Bill Laswells bass lead, eastern influenced instrumental album Hear No Evil. It reminds me of the John Paul Jones album 'Zooma'. Then The Pineapple Thief compilation 3000 Days, which if you like mellower, more accoustic Radiohead is well worth a listen.

51z1Z7KeavL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
61oxIU0zP%2BL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Thanks, I will look out for them

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts